Urgent Advice Needed. Limp Mode...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To check for a bent valve just check compression if the timing was off more the 1-2 teeth its almost certain ya bent one. Does it run smooth tho?
How would I know it it is an exhaust or intake valve?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont even know what you are talking about? explain some more lol
I've seen this code as a "false" or phantom code many times . If you have Coil bleed-over, or inductive interference (EMI), the computer will "see" the inducted current as voltage on whichever affected circuit is involved. This can and will trigger a false code because the computer sees higher voltage as a spike than is programmed into the program parameters, and sees this as a circuit problem.

I have a customer where EMF from ignition coil bleed over from the coil pack on a Ford actually knocked out the PCM! I have another customer with a later model Jeep where this EXACT 344 code set and it turned out that the coil pack was bad and the EMF was crossing to the crankshaft/ camshaft circuit causing this code.

As for cam/ crank correlation, that also requires a scope to definitively diagnose.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've seen this code as a "false" or phantom code many times . If you have Coil bleed-over, or inductive interference (EMI), the computer will "see" the inducted current as voltage on whichever affected circuit is involved. This can and will trigger a false code because the computer sees higher voltage as a spike than is programmed into the program parameters, and sees this as a circuit problem.

I have a customer where EMF from ignition coil bleed over from the coil pack on a Ford actually knocked out the PCM! I have another customer with a later model Jeep where this EXACT 344 code set and it turned out that the coil pack was bad and the EMF was crossing to the crankshaft/ camshaft circuit causing this code.

As for cam/ crank correlation, that also requires a scope to definitively diagnose.
Thanks, im leaning towards a bent valve and Im gonna load test my battery because i messed up timing once, so that probably bent my valve(s). but imma check battery to ensure it hasnt gone bad at all. Thanks for the input as I will keep it in mind if something doesnt go as planned!

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Jut run a compression test if one cylinder is low that head has to come off to see what valve.
Thanks. Does compression vary between each truck, or should I be looking for a baseline number? Obviously is all are the same except for one ill know, but just curious.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jut run a compression test if one cylinder is low that head has to come off to see what valve.
Get in your truck. Floor the accelerator. Crank the engine. It will crank, but not start because, due to it being floored at the time you turn on the ignition and crank it, the computer will "clear flood". This is how one clears a flooded modern DOMESTIC car. Most imports do NOT have this function. While it cranks over, but will NOT start as long as you KEEP the accelerator floored, listen to the "cadence" of the cranking sound. A steady cadence INDICATES normal relative compression across the board. IF the engine has a split second rise in cadence, this indicates a low cylinder due to a mechanically lower compression.
IF YOU LET UP ON THE ACCELERATOR EVEN FOR A SPLIT SECOND DURING CRANKING, THE ENGINE WILL START AND OVER-REV. It is CRUCIAL to make sure the accelerator stays floored!

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get in your truck. Floor the accelerator. Crank the engine. It will crank, but not start because, due to it being floored at the time you turn on the ignition and crank it, the computer will "clear flood". This is how one clears a flooded modern DOMESTIC car. Most imports do NOT have this function. While it cranks over, but will NOT start as long as you KEEP the accelerator floored, listen to the "cadence" of the cranking sound. A steady cadence INDICATES normal relative compression across the board. IF the engine has a split second rise in cadence, this indicates a low cylinder due to a mechanically lower compression.
IF YOU LET UP ON THE ACCELERATOR EVEN FOR A SPLIT SECOND DURING CRANKING, THE ENGINE WILL START AND OVER-REV. It is CRUCIAL to make sure the accelerator stays floored!
I’m just gonna get a compression tester lol. Thanks tho

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Battery load test was good, so not that electrical issue. I checked all the wiring and all the sensors. Everything is plugged in and good. Im gonna check continuity in the wires at the cam sensor next as well as the compression test. I started it for the battery test and was feeling it while it ran and you could feel a bit of a miss and a decent shake. Hopefully compression test tells me something.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Some drink from the fount of knowledge, others only gargle.
Im only doing it my way because I havent done a compression test before so I dont exactly know what to listen for. I would rather use the gauge and get numbers to compare so i know for sure. Numbers read better to me than possibly tearing my truck apart when i dont know the exact sound. Thanks though guys.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im only doing it my way because I havent done a compression test before so I dont exactly know what to listen for. I would rather use the gauge and get numbers to compare so i know for sure. Numbers read better to me than possibly tearing my truck apart when i dont know the exact sound. Thanks though guys.
LOL, took you longer to write that than do Sherman’s test
Definitely worth a try, the difference in cranking cadence may be obvious
I get it that we all don’t have the experts ear…

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Whatever. My intention was/ is to be of help. "Good intentions pave the road to Sheol"
And I appreciate it. I believe some are saying that there could be two issues. I think the P0344 code could be because I have napa sensors and not Mopar, which I will be ordering. However, i might also have a compression problem caused by the bent valve from wrong timing, so both are issues, separate or related im not 100% sure.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im not arguing with the advice? Im at work right now so I cant check anything. However, I just replaced the sensor right before I redid the timing and i double checked everything was plugged in. I didnt touch any of the wiring that was around the TCM, I dont think anyway as I only dealt with the wires above the engine. I dont really know where to start if that sensor is brand new and the wiring seems all good and plugged in? Dont need the attitude when you think im arguing with someone when Im just giving my response with my opinion?
Delete.

Last edited:

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did you use OEM sensors. I have learned the hard way that aftermarket cam and crank sensors do not work well at all on jeep or any Chrysler products. I had multiple p0034 p0017 p000a p0349 etc codes. None of which were wiring issues as the codes would suggest. In every case it was caused by a faulty sensor or an aftermarket that just would not function correctly. Unless you rip wires apart accidently or bury it in mud wiring is rarely the issues in these cases. A connector is a different story. And start by making sure they are properly connected with no bent pins or a pin pushed back in the connector. Normally if it wiring it will do it immediately rather than show up later.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sensors can be bad & new at the same time. Are you sure you put the phaser on correct. Or have the correct one . (If changed). I see you said timing was off. I believe the hemi is a interference engine. (Correct me if wrong)Off 1 tooth could bend valves. Also check pins on sensors as they can get bent .

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update, I got new OEM sensors today and that seems to have fixed the limp mode issue. Havent done compression yet as I realized after switching them out that my alternator is taking a crap on me! So im thinking that might be my sluggish issues