Value minded catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am interested in getting a catch can for my truck but the $100+ price is hard to swallow. I'm sure it is beautiful and well made but sheesh.

I found a ton of universal catch cans on eBay for $20ish. Any obvious reasons why these wouldn't work?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=151097038368

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170762746629

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=231033128132

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=121195169086

Thanks for the advice!

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
Dude I'm right there with you. The Billet Technology one sure is nice but I see no reason why a universal one wouldn't work. I'm in need of one myself and I plan to go the universal route. The only 'issue' I see is that a custom bracket would need to be fabbed

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anybody that has installed the BT catch can have any ideas from the pictures if these universal ones look like they would work?

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would search online for reviews about each can. Imo a catch can is not something you would want to cheap out on. I would purchase one that is tried, tested and has positive feedback. Just my opinion though.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ebay cans are so cheap because well.. They are cheap. Usually they are just a can with two brass fittings at the top. No baffles or material to separate oil from air.

But then again, you can buy one of the cheapo catch cans and make it so that it actually does function correctly. Just put some steel scrubbing material in it.

2batruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get what you pay for. Cheap eBay products end up being unreliable IMO. $135 isn't bad for a solid product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I am willing to pay more (and I usually do) when it is worth it but cheaper isn't always worse. As near as I can tell, a catch can is a pretty simple device. I think I will take a $20 gamble and see what I get in the mail. I will post the results, either good or bad. Again, thanks for the advice guys.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
$20 gamble could equal thousand $$ price tag. It seems you are set to stay at a low price and you have that right. I chose to pay $135 + s/h because it is widely backed and trusted on this forum. It supports a forum member and also because if it (and it does) works properly, it could save me a lot of heartache.

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$20 gamble could equal thousand $$ price tag. It seems you are set to stay at a low price and you have that right. I chose to pay $135 + s/h because it is widely backed and trusted on this forum. It supports a forum member and also because if it (and it does) works properly, it could save me a lot of heartache.

I've done my research on catch cans in general and I feel pretty safe trying a less expensive option. Basically, if the universal can doesn't work then worse case scenario I end up with the oil not going into the can and I'm no worse off than if I left it stock. If there is no oil in the can after a while then I will know it's not working.

My intention in bringing this topic up and testing it is not to thumb my nose at those who spent more. The BT can seems to be a nice piece. My motivation is that a catch can is a simple item. Several folks on this forum have made them from parts at a hardware store. My truck isn't a show truck and my modification budget is tight. I need every cent to stretch and if I can save over $100 for a simple filtered can then I will give it a shot. As I said before, if it doesn't work, the worst case scenario is that my truck will operate like it does now and I can warn other curious forum members away from this product.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I bought one. Here's my opinion:

It works. Mine is currently zip tied in place. It looks pretty. The bad? It doesn't come with any easy way to drain it. It doesn't unscrew or have the bottom come off. There was a drain bolt on the bottom that I replaced with a petcock valve.

For $35 it works. Who knows for how long it'll stay looking pretty. I don't open my hood enough to really care. It's a truck and will be used for truckly things.

YMMV

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought one. Here's my opinion:

It works. Mine is currently zip tied in place. It looks pretty. The bad? It doesn't come with any easy way to drain it. It doesn't unscrew or have the bottom come off. There was a drain bolt on the bottom that I replaced with a petcock valve.

For $35 it works. Who knows for how long it'll stay looking pretty. I don't open my hood enough to really care. It's a truck and will be used for truckly things.

YMMV

I like the petcock idea.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you waited this long, wait another few weeks until BT has their 40% off sale. That's why I waited. I really didn't want to spend $120+ on this mod either. I just missed the sale last year, because I just bought my truck, and had other "needs".

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you waited this long, wait another few weeks until BT has their 40% off sale. That's why I waited. I really didn't want to spend $120+ on this mod either. I just missed the sale last year, because I just bought my truck, and had other "needs".

Too late. Already on its way. It wouldn't have mattered though, I'm curious now :)

Thanks though!

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
Daniel, hook us up with install details as I am right behind you in ordering mine. Which one did you decide on? I'm eyeballing a few different ones on Amazon right now and haven't yet made my order. I plan to order it in time for the weekend though.

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Daniel, hook us up with install details as I am right behind you in ordering mine. Which one did you decide on? I'm eyeballing a few different ones on Amazon right now and haven't yet made my order. I plan to order it in time for the weekend though.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=310704671080

I got a square one In hopes that it would make it easier to mount. It comes with a simple bracket so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to buy a better hose for it though.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am interested in getting a catch can for my truck but the $100+ price is hard to swallow. I'm sure it is beautiful and well made but sheesh.

I found a ton of universal catch cans on eBay for $20ish. Any obvious reasons why these wouldn't work?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=151097038368

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170762746629

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=231033128132

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=121195169086

Thanks for the advice!
Its not a high pressure system, so its not like a low cost/quality can puts your engine at more risk than not having a can in the first place.

Not having a can puts 2-3 oz of oil slime back into your TB and manifold between each oil change. Thats some nasty I would not want in my engine--it also can cause knocking by lowering the octane of the fuel air mixture and forcing the engine to retard timing to compensate.

Except for the Universal Aluminum Oil Cylinder Catch Reservoir Tank Can Breather Filter Silver all of the e-bay specials you listed are about the same. The can with breather doesn't attach back to your TB, so relies on crankcase pressure and vents via filter to the atmosphere--stinky. One thing to keep in mind is the hose diameter seems narrower than stock PCV to TB hose on all of these cheap cans. You don't want to junk up your PCV because the little hose couldn't pass enough volume.

You can also fab your own using a Husky or Kobalt air compressor in-line filter. the challenge there is fabricating a good bracket to keep the plastic air bottle away from heat sources.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not a high pressure system, so its not like a low cost/quality can puts your engine at more risk than not having a can in the first place.

Not having a can puts 2-3 oz of oil slime back into your TB and manifold between each oil change. Thats some nasty I would not want in my engine--it also can cause knocking by lowering the octane of the fuel air mixture and forcing the engine to retard timing to compensate.

Except for the Universal Aluminum Oil Cylinder Catch Reservoir Tank Can Breather Filter Silver all of the e-bay specials you listed are about the same. The can with breather doesn't attach back to your TB, so relies on crankcase pressure and vents via filter to the atmosphere--stinky. One thing to keep in mind is the hose diameter seems narrower than stock PCV to TB hose on all of these cheap cans. You don't want to junk up your PCV because the little hose couldn't pass enough volume.

You can also fab your own using a Husky or Kobalt air compressor in-line filter. the challenge there is fabricating a good bracket to keep the plastic air bottle away from heat sources.

Here is the one I bought:
gumazu4a.jpg

I don't plan on using the supplied hose. I will buy the proper auto grade hose. I should have it by this weekend so I will post my honest appraisal when I get it along with detailed pic's

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man, you should have used that cool-blue, aquarium tubing. :) Let us know how it works out for you.

ATRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.
No way I would cheap out on a catch can for my new truck.
There are deals on quality cans that come up for sale on forums, classifieds, and eBay. I picked mine up new for $50 delivered.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.
No way I would cheap out on a catch can for my new truck.
There are deals on quality cans that come up for sale on forums, classifieds, and eBay. I picked mine up new for $50 delivered.

Agreed.. I lucked out and found a used Moroso CC on EBay for 50.00. It looks brand new and it came with all new hoses.