Value minded catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudjunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
im still leaning towards either and ebay can or I have a spare oil separator for my compressor I like that idee better

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Expensive does not automatically mean better either. Everybody else is doing it also does not make a superior product.

I suppose there is only one way to find out. I will report what I find, good or bad.

I am not "cheaping out". I have found a possible alternative that is over $100 less. As I said before, a catch can isn't a complicated piece of equipment. I could probably fab one out of a soup can and steel wool.

I really don't understand the resistance to someone exploring a low cost answer. I never once announced that the BT or Moroso cans were a waste of money. I really don't know. If the $20 catch can is a failure the I will buy a BT or Moroso and post a review on this forum that the eBay cans are junk. It's not going to ruin my truck. It's not an eBay universal camshaft or something. Sheesh.

I will say I am a bit leery about BT's website telling me that no one else but them can make a catch can and I shouldn't consider any other product when other companies have been making successful catch cans for years. Catch cans aren't new technology. Turbo engines have been using them for years to keep their intercoolers from gumming up. I would sooner trust a company that invites customers to compare their product against the competition...

You know, just a bit leery ;)

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Daniel, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've been working on cars a lot of years and have never seen a catch can on anything but kids' imports. Hell, I thought they came free with their fart-can mufflers.
I'm not questioning whether they work or not.
Do they catch oil? Obviously.
Will they save your engine from certain destruction? Highly unlikely.
If they did, manufacturers would be installing them from the factory and you'd be paying for a billet cover instead.
It's clear to me that you're not knocking other people and their choices here. It's not my intention, either.
Frankly, if you feel you need a catch can, then you do. If you don't want to pay $100-150+, don't.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Daniel, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've been working on cars a lot of years and have never seen a catch can on anything but kids' imports. Hell, I thought they came free with their fart-can mufflers.
I'm not questioning whether they work or not.
Do they catch oil? Obviously.
If they did, manufacturers would be installing them from the factory and you'd be paying for a billet cover instead.
It's clear to me that you're not knocking other people and their choices here. It's not my intention, either.
Frankly, if you feel you need a catch can, then you do. If you don't want to pay $100-150+, don't.

I didn't install my catch can to stop my engine from certain destruction. Lol

It helps with KR. With out a catch can, oil from the ****** PCV venting system gets inside the intake and screws with the air/fuel mixture. When oil is present it will reduce the knock resistance of your fuel and will make your vehicle prone to pull timing because of knock retard. Not to mention, it will cake up your TB.

A catch can is a very important mod imo. As long as it is working properly it doesn't matter which one you use. It is especially important if you plan on running a tuner.

To add to the if we needed a catch can the manufacturer would add them arguments. I don't agree on that argument because the manufacturer would never be able to get people to always empty them. All that gunk and oil used to be vented into the environment and therefore was never an issue.

Last edited:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, I'd like to say that nothing in my reply was intended to be an "argument". My point was simply that there is nothing about a catch can that dictates that someone must pay over $100 for one. If they can make one themselves cheaper, then go for it.

If they were absolutely necessary, they would be there from the factory. In the 5 minutes it's taken me to type these posts, I've come up with an idea for a catch can with an electric solenoid that drains itself when the engine is switched off. Imagine what an engineer could do. :)
I'm not knocking anyone for doing what they want to do. I simply don't think everyone has to do it the same way. That was the point of the OP's post and I agree with him 100%.

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For anyone who cares, I got my catch can in the mail. I am short on time this weekend so I won't be able to get it installed. I did manage to mock up where I will mount it, buy the hose etc. I will take lots of pics, post my impression and total cost after parts. After a while I will post how it is working.

Until then I will leave you with a couple pictures of (reportedly successful) catch cans because they made me laugh. ;)
y7adahen.jpg

3esa9u4a.jpg

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty funny. Those look like they should be good for an extra 5 horsepower, on top of catching oil. lol
Never underestimate the power of beer cans and silicone.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bud Light..... Got to love it. Ha

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Too late. Already on its way. It wouldn't have mattered though, I'm curious now :)

Thanks though!
I am definitely in for the results.

I went with the BT Can just because I liked the way it looked and being an old guy, it was simple to install withthe Z bracket.

I agree with your thoughts that that e-Bay Can will probably work fine.

I am interested in seeing how you end up mounting it.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been following this thread and i like the thinking going on,lol.
Anybody ever try using one of the mini style air compressor dryers.
They're a little smaller and lighter then the bigger units which should make them easier to fab into place.
Most of the smaller ones i've seen come with a clear see through poly carbonite bowl,which i thought would be a nice feature
Only downside is most use 1/4" pipe fittings instead of 1/2" pipe fittings.
Any thoughts/ideas on using the smaller oil seperators

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been following this thread and i like the thinking going on,lol.
Anybody ever try using one of the mini style air compressor dryers.
They're a little smaller and lighter then the bigger units which should make them easier to fab into place.
Most of the smaller ones i've seen come with a clear see through poly carbonite bowl,which i thought would be a nice feature
Only downside is most use 1/4" pipe fittings instead of 1/2" pipe fittings.
Any thoughts/ideas on using the smaller oil seperators

I have heard people talk about those on other forums. My understanding is that the major drawback to the small ones is the lack of capacity. You would have to empty it a lot. There are people using the bigger ones though.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
$100+ for a CC is silly at best. Unless you plan on "showing" your vehicle a budget CC will do everything a fancy one will do and cost ~$20.

I will post upo my last 3 CC builds (from my 3 previous cars) when I get to the PC all the details are on.

Again, I have nothing againt the fancy units, but no one is looking under my hood for any reason. So I just need functional.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
So, to add a little fuel to the fire... Can you replace the need for a catch can by using a fuel additive detergent like Gumout or Marvel Mystery Oil? I do that already anyway with my higher mileage vehicles. Since the CC simply catches the blowby that is otherwise burned in the chamber anyway, would a detergent additive help sufficiently keep the old boy clean after the fact?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
" Do they catch oil? Obviously.
If they did, manufacturers would be installing them from the factory and you'd be paying for a billet cover instead.".

I disagree. Mfgrs mostly care about problems under the warranty period. That which occurs afterward will not be their problem or expense--possibly a few extended warranty claims, but not worth the cost of adding a CC to every new vehicle. Heck, Chyrsler was too cheap to put in a $10 cabin air filter in the Gen IV RAMs.

CC serves two purposes: 1) Keeps that oily stuff out of your manifold so your top end isn't shot when the warranty ends, AND
2) Removes oil that may otherwise lower the octane value for the fuel air mixture entering your Hemi and cause pre-ignition. Once the PCM senses premature ignition (knocking) it will pull spark timing to delay ignition and that in turns lowers horsepower.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, to add a little fuel to the fire... Can you replace the need for a catch can by using a fuel additive detergent like Gumout or Marvel Mystery Oil? I do that already anyway with my higher mileage vehicles. Since the CC simply catches the blowby that is otherwise burned in the chamber anyway, would a detergent additive help sufficiently keep the old boy clean after the fact?
No. Its your air intake that gets fouled. With fuel injection a gas additive never touches the intake manifold. An oil additive would just pool there with the oily accumulation and do no good. You need to keep the yilch form reaching and fouling your throttle body and the manifold behind it.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I disagree. Mfgrs mostly care about problems under the warranty period. That which occurs afterward will not be their problem or expense--possibly a few extended warranty claims, but not worth the cost of adding a CC to every new vehicle. Heck, Chyrsler was too cheap to put in a $10 cabin air filter in the Gen IV RAMs.

CC serves two purposes: 1) Keeps that oily stuff out of your manifold so your top end isn't shot when the warranty ends, AND
2) Removes oil that may otherwise lower the octane value for the fuel air mixture entering your Hemi and cause pre-ignition. Once the PCM senses premature ignition (knocking) it will pull spark timing to delay ignition and that in turns lowers horsepower.

I've been on this forum long enough to know better than to debate whether a catch can is necessary. It would be a futile argument, at best.

My point was, simply, that it does not require a $100 -150+ accessory to catch oil.
That is a personal choice that people have made. No one is judging them for that, but a consensus doesn't dictate that everyone must follow.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
No. Its your air intake that gets fouled. With fuel injection a gas additive never touches the intake manifold. An oil additive would just pool there with the oily accumulation and do no good. You need to keep the yilch form reaching and fouling your throttle body and the manifold behind it.

Got it! Thanks, I haven't been here long enough to know all the specifics of the catch can. I got it now. Sounds like one is in my future now too.