valvetrain noise? video inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
im just curious as to if this is normal its starting to bug me because i have had diesels that had less valvetrain noise than this one if anyone has any input i would appreciate it
Hemi noise - YouTube

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it a "hemi tick"? If so, theres a huge thread about it including what causes it, myths, solutions, fixes, etc.

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's what I wasn't sure of I have read about the hem tick but I didn't know if this was it or not but I know it's fairly loud

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill try to find the thread link for you. Ive heard some think its exahust leaks or some think its lifters, etc.....Dunno.

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright thanks bud

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is it worse at start up? If so it is lifter tick, if not it could be lifter tick or exhaust tick. That sounds more like a meat grinder, just like mine used to, so I wager it is lifter tick. Read the synthetic oil thread for more info, you can try a top shelf synthetic or consider a different weight oil 5w30 to achieve more film strength. But do not do it before reading more, your MDS system does require 5w20. You will be on the same journey as many of us, you can try some different things or let it tick, many of us do either.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hard to say, after listening again it could be either. Get a fine spray bottle and mist your exhaust manifold when running, see if the air will blow your mist around right above the manifold bolts, as in where the manifold meets the block above each bolt.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
really hard to tell from that vid. could be both lifter tick and an exhaust leak

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it worse at start up? If so it is lifter tick, if not it could be lifter tick or exhaust tick. That sounds more like a meat grinder, just like mine used to, so I wager it is lifter tick. Read the synthetic oil thread for more info, you can try a top shelf synthetic or consider a different weight oil 5w30 to achieve more film strength. But do not do it before reading more, your MDS system does require 5w20. You will be on the same journey as many of us, you can try some different things or let it tick, many of us do either.
it honestly doesnt make a difference hot or cold. i do hear it more from the top of the motor more than near the fender wells but you know as much as i do sounds can bounce off anything, so im still going to check the exhaust gaskets. i read the whole synthetic oil thread (and learned a **** load) i have been using royal purple 5w20 with a mobil 1 filter. i do have my mds dissabled on my programmer so would it be safe to run a thicker weight? and i am pretty sure my next change im going with redline i have used their water wetter in all my vehicles and it actually works so im sure their oil is great stuff to and with it being a grade 5 oil i think im gonna go that route and if it goes good i will be putting it in my 13 camaro i have always used mobil 1 just because it was "dexos approved" whatever that means