Vibration Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
My 99 2500 QC 4x4 has a slight vibration at around 68-70 mph. It feels like a tire/wheel type vibration. Not there at 72 or 65 mph. My friend has four 2nd gen Dodges & all of his do it also. Has anyone figured out what causes this issue?
Just curious. It has to be common on 2nd Gens. These are all running stock suspensions & factory tires & wheel sizes. Both 2wd & 4x4. 2500 & 3500.

Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
My 99 2500 QC 4x4 has a slight vibration at around 68-70 mph. It feels like a tire/wheel type vibration. Not there at 72 or 65 mph. My friend has four 2nd gen Dodges & all of his do it also. Has anyone figured out what causes this issue?
Just curious. It has to be common on 2nd Gens. These are all running stock suspensions & factory tires & wheel sizes. Both 2wd & 4x4. 2500 & 3500.

Thanks

Mine does it at 35-47mph. It could be two major things, mine is an up and down vibration, it changes depending on road surface, it started after I got new tires a little over a year ago. My problem is likely tires.

The second most common problem is the driveshaft. Even a single dent can cause vibration. Thankfully we have aluminium driveshafts, they are a bit easier to balance and dont jump rope as much when they are out of balance. Some guys hate them, some guys love them. I havent seen anyone on here complaining about the stock ram aluminum ones, fords seem to be really crappy until about 2012. You should be able to see any major dents that would cause vibrations. You could also try checking the Ujoints, it wont hurt.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I experience something similar. In order to get my truck on the road originally, I replaced pretty much all the front end suspension parts, except for the hub assemblies, u-joints, and control arm bushings. Still get a slight road vibration from 45-50mph. Almost like a tire that's slightly out of balance (or out of round). Read somewhere that it could also be a vibration from the stub axle in the front differential. The alignment bushing wears out after some time. I would think other problems would result if it were that.

I'm not going to dig in that far. The vibration isn't terrible, just annoying.

OP
OP
RamV10

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Thanks for the responses. I have new tires & that changed nothing. I thought driveshaft too. But my buddy has 2wd & mine is a 4x4 his are 2- 00/01 & 02. Mine a 99 All his do it at the same speeds as mine. Interesting. Mine has been this way since I bought it in 2011 & 20,000 miles & his since he bought them the 3500 2wd has been that way for 80,000 miles with no change.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I also had a vibration at about the same speed. Thought i was the rear u-joint and changed it out. It got rid of most of the problem but about a year later it came back. Bought a different brand u-joint from NAPA and took care of the problem again.
Just as a preventative measure I changed the front u-joint behind the transfer case because it felt a little stiff even though I felt no play at all. Once I got it apart which was a real pain in the ass since you have it held tight with two yokes with no room for play I found it was worn. That was three years ago and I have not had any vibration problems since.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Are you saying you changed the u-joints in the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft? I've been wondering about that being the source of the vibration as well. Although, my assumption was that drive shaft does not spin in 2wd....

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Are you saying you changed the u-joints in the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft? I've been wondering about that being the source of the vibration as well. Although, my assumption was that drive shaft does not spin in 2wd....

The front driveshaft should be disconnected in 2wd, only the front diff should spin, the driveshaft should be disconnected both at the diff and transfer case. At least thats how it is on Chevys. I like that better than fords locking hubs.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

It was the front u-joint on the rear driveline and there are no u-bolts. It was quite a pain in the ass to get the u-joint out. I ended up just cutting the cross bar out.http://www.ramforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77812&stc=1&d=1475455306

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
RamV10

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Mine is a 4x4, my friends trucks are 2wd. All of them seem to be the same vibration at the same speeds. I'm not going to dig into it. I either drive it under 68 or over 72 mph. At 90 mph is smooth as glass.
Thanks for the inputs.