Warm/hot air only and AC not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cycu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello.
I got a problem with RAM blowing warm air only since last week.
I was a bit low on coolant and thought it was the issue.
Today i replaced the coolant but problem didn't go away.
Whatever I choose on climate control, 15-17* celsius air is still warm.
It looks like AC is not working either.
Do you have any ideas what can I check?
Can it be a thermostat failure?

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, coolant only provides heat through the Heater Core, to the interior of the truck. You need to check the pressure on the High and Low pressure AC ports (you'll see the silver lines with a schrader valve on each). You should be able to youtube how to do that - IF you're pressures are not to spec as instructed in the video, you will need to add the right kind of refrigerant for your year (I'm going to be lazy - all this can be looked up). Note: Chances are, you have a leak - you can buy leak detector for your AC system as well, and again, following instructions, hopefully locate the leak, prior to spending money on new refrigerant only to have it leak out as well. If you have a leak, you'll need to repair or replace that AC line - and if you're gonna go with a replace, best get a tech who knows how to do that because you'll need to purge the system as well as put new refrigerant in it - and there is a machine specifically designed to do that without violating environmental laws.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you will need to add the right kind of refrigerant for your year
A '14 1500 should have 1234YF refrigerant. If I remember the '13-'14 trucks had issues with o-ring leaks on the condenser. Ram released an updated kit: 68447796AA
Dealing with vehicle AC systems may seam easy but truthfully should be left up to properly trained technicians.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello.
I got a problem with RAM blowing warm air only since last week.
I was a bit low on coolant and thought it was the issue.
Today i replaced the coolant but problem didn't go away.
Whatever I choose on climate control, 15-17* celsius air is still warm.
It looks like AC is not working either.
Do you have any ideas what can I check?
Can it be a thermostat failure?

When you select the Max AC function, do you hear the condenser fan start and run?

Do you notice any change to the air temperature when you're cruising down the road at 100 kph versus sitting still?

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
The only thing I would add, is to first read about the basics of how an a/c system is supposed to work. Like anything - if you do not know what it is supposed to do then you won't know where to begin looking. NO MAJIC WANDS. Here is a quick basic theory. 1) Most everything will change (as temps. go up solid, to liquid, to gas of course as it cools the opposite; gas, liquid, solid) 2) engineers found a chemical that would do this quickly - called FREON. 3) Most everything also wants to be warm (not hot or cold) that is why they designed it to be adjustable! 4) Freon also wants this, and Pressure and temperature are cost to the same - at least for this quick class. In an A/c system it is never cold enough to freeze (solid)! for the sack of basic lets say we use 30psi as it's liquid state, and 250 as a gas. As stated, we will talk about this as temps. 30psi = 30 degrees etc. 200 - 400 psi = 200-400 degrees, etc. 5) the mechanical parts of the A/C cause these things to happen inside the system itself (orifice tube, evaporator, compressor, condenser, accumulator, etc. you need to research this part) Freon is sent into the dashboard as a liquid- in fact the compressor pushes it around the system - plus or things ( so it is about the 30-degree area) It wants to be warn so it takes the heat from the interior and starts to become a gas as it does it is pushed out of the interior towards the condenser, by the time it gets there it is now all gas and the compressor compressed it to 300-400psi/ degrees. It's a hot day in you area 105degrees in the shade BUT the freon is 300 plus PSI (or degrees) so the 105 air temp outside says I want to be warm also!!!!~ so it steals the heat that the freon sucked out of your interior, so it cools down and heads for the dashboard again - becomes a liquid (because of an orifice tube or expansion valve etc.).
So in order to diagnose you need to know the parts on your vehicle, have tools to read those pressures at specific places in that system. Diagnose the electrical functions of the controls and parts in that system.
Get an understanding of what is supposed to do so you can see what it is not doing. The fix part of the problem is usually easier, than the diagnoses. Not meant to be sarcastic but it is like saying I have a flat tire what is wrong.
PS inexpensive tools can be had at places like Harbor Freight.

OP
OP
C

Cycu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you select the Max AC function, do you hear the condenser fan start and run?

Do you notice any change to the air temperature when you're cruising down the road at 100 kph versus sitting still?

And, View attachment 540250 to Ram Forum. :cool:

Thanks for all replies :)
Yes, condenser fan start and run when MAX AC is on.
I will check if temperature changes on higher velocity. I will also order tool to check the pressures on AC pipes.

My only question now is if the problem is only AC related and if I can check something else too.
Of course, AC might not be working properly. But we have winter in Norway now. It's about 5 degrees celsius outside.
And I never had problems with cool air inside any car in winter when AC was off.
I double checked all the fuses now and will connect car to OBD tommowrow.
Is there any chance to check if the 3way coolant heater control valve is working properly?