Water Spot Underneath Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I consistently see a small puddle of water under my vehicle after it’s been parked. I notice it even when I am not using my A/C and my Auto Temperature Control is not on.

Is there any reason my compressor would run when the A/C is (or should be) legitimately off?

I previously had a theory that my A/C has been temperamental and was turning on (or not turning off) when it should.

The location of the puddle is about 7” toward center of passenger front tire

I don’t really have an issue with temperature adjustment, just wondering why I am puddling.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be exhaust condensate. Where is the puddle located underneath the truck?

Generally speaking, water isn't cause for concern unless it's coolant, but that would have a color to it and would be visible on engine parts from where it's leaking.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be exhaust condensate. Where is the puddle located underneath the truck?

Generally speaking, water isn't cause for concern unless it's coolant, but that would have a color to it and would be visible on engine parts from where it's leaking.

Yep, no color no smell. It’s about 7” toward center from passenger side tire.

My concern is that the A/C is running even when it shouldn’t be. Not sure if there is a residual factor from compressor.

I would think that exhaust condensate would come from the tailpipe.

Thoughts?

Skike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'd agree with you. One thing you could try would be unplugging the fuse for the AC, and seeing if you still get water. Or, even go so far as to pull the pulley off of the compressor.

Not sure beyond that.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ac will run even when running heat to act as a dehumidifier for defrost.

Is there a reason why this wouldn’t be indicated in the Climate display? Is it all “self managed” by the vehicle?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a thought... has it been humid lately? It could be water running down from the hood/top of the truck and dripping down. I've noticed that a few times when it's really humid and condensation has built up on the truck.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bet it's the AC. My truck will start blowing cold ( meaning AC cold) when I have the AC definitely off not on auto either so the compressor will come on for a while on its own.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet it's the AC. My truck will start blowing cold ( meaning AC cold) when I have the AC definitely off not on auto either so the compressor will come on for a while on its own.

Ok, glad to know that I am not the only one. Do you view this as a problem? Concern? Ever look into it?

I have noticed sometimes it just blows cold for absolutely no reason.

I like the idea of fresh air, but seems I can only guarantee it when the climate is “Off” and have windows open.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No I haven't but I plan to in 2 weeks when I go in for the recalls. Im sure the response will be " Working as designed"........

When I 1st noticed it last fall I popped the hood and verified the AC clutch was engaged so it's definitely not my imagination or even the wife giving me the cold shoulder treatment.:D

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said, a/c compressor will run when w/s defrost is selected and the ambient temps aren't too low. You could also have a partially plugged condensate drip tube that could be causing water to build up in the evaporator housing and slowly drip out over time. Just some guesses!

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No I haven't but I plan to in 2 weeks when I go in for the recalls. Im sure the response will be " Working as designed"........

When I 1st noticed it last fall I popped the hood and verified the AC clutch was engaged so it's definitely not my imagination or even the wife giving me the cold shoulder treatment.:D

Cool, I plan to do the same. Do me a favor, PM me when you get yours looked at, and we can compare notes?

I wouldn’t know an AC clutch if it bit me in my bumper. My family is sick of me asking if the A/C feels like its on.

Thanks.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just because the AC is on, doesn't mean its cold. Unless your family can feel the moisture being stripped out of the air to prevent fogging I doubt they will know.

Its working as intended. I don't particularly like auto mode and it wouldn't surprise me to see it run most of the time. My 2007 Jeep did it when on defrost year round and was a much simpler setup.

change the setting to front or lower vents and it should turn off.

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing sometimes, but my AC and defrost both work fine and I haven’t noticed any issues so I’m not too concerned about it. I’ve noticed it on several other vehicles too, various makes and models. I think whatever it is is probably pretty common. My guess would be condensate like mentioned above.

HEMIsphere05

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L cummins
I've noticed this as well on my 2016. Same spot. I assumed it was something do with condensationa nd the AC. Even though I've never noticed my other vehicles doing it much. I go in later this week fro the recall work. I'll ask them

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've noticed this as well on my 2016. Same spot. I assumed it was something do with condensationa nd the AC. Even though I've never noticed my other vehicles doing it much. I go in later this week fro the recall work. I'll ask them

Please pass the word along if you learn something.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cool, I plan to do the same. Do me a favor, PM me when you get yours looked at, and we can compare notes?

I wouldn’t know an AC clutch if it bit me in my bumper. My family is sick of me asking if the A/C feels like its on.

Thanks.

No problem. If you want to know for sure get one of these at Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-pocket-thermometer-46586.html
OR
https://www.harborfreight.com/instant-read-digital-thermometer-95382.html

Just stick it in the vent, if it's 70 out & it's blowing 50 deg air, it's on.