Ways to get rid of security key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what are some good ways to get rid of security key. Is there a way. Also Is there a way to Hotwire these things? I have another computer I’d like to run without taking to the dealership. Not really worried about anti theft devices out here.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what are some good ways to get rid of security key. Is there a way. Also Is there a way to Hotwire these things? I have another computer I’d like to run without taking to the dealership. Not really worried about anti theft devices out here.

Possibly by removing the SKIM, but if you did that you'd probably have to have the PCM reflashed for the truck to function (good luck getting a dealer to do that lol). No, you cannot hotwire a modern computer controlled vehicle.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Possibly by removing the SKIM, but if you did that you'd probably have to have the PCM reflashed for the truck to function (good luck getting a dealer to do that lol). No, you cannot hotwire a modern computer controlled vehicle.
Maybe I can get the keys from the salvage truck then program it for mine. Doubt the salvage yard has both keys

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You'd still have to deal with the SKIM (security module). Once a SKIM and PCM communicate through the bus, they are initialized to each other. You cannot run another PCM with the same SKIM nor put a used SKIM with any other PCM. In order to get around this problem you'd need PCM's that were never initialized to a SKIM (so reflashed ones that were never installed in a truck with SKIM) and to remove the SKIM from vehicle, or get a new SKIM and have separate ones for each time you swap the PCM (which would also require separate chipped keys to operate). Your best bet here is to remove your stock PCM, get it reflashed (I believe there are aftermarket companies that can hook you up with this) with the engine program minus any security, then remove the SKIM (the module itself) from the truck. All things being equal this should allow you to swap PCM's around as you like without worrying about locking them (yeah, if you keep doing that where you start it and then it shuts off too many times it'll lock the PCM and it won't start at all). I cannot guarantee this will work as there are too many other communications going on within a CAN bus system; only way to find out is to try it.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
I just found out I have both SKIM & VTSS. So if I ever do a engine swap from a 4.7 to a 5.9 for my 2002 Quad Cab, I'll still need to have an ECM that will have both SKIM & VTSS. There is a shop that rebuilds the ECMs on eBay, the prices look pretty reasonable to me.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It would actually be easier (but not easy) to swap in a 5.7 in place of a 4.7 than trying to swap in a 360 (unless you mean 5.9 diesel, that opens up its own giant can of worms)...