What can ya tell me about the 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Dave,
The 318 is a great motor. The only issue they had was sludge build up in the oil passages if you didnt stay on top of oil changes. They can be built to actually push more power than a 360, and they rev a heck of a lot faster than the 360. We did a head swap with a set of 360 R/T heads and it helped alot. Reliability wise, there is a reason dodge ran the magnum motors for so long, they last. The tranny should be an NV3500 5 speed, which is a fairly reliable transmission, and is actually a tranny that you as a jeep supplier should be fairly familiar with (the TJ's had either the AX-15, or the NV3500 depending on the year, and most of us YJ guys were pulling our AX-15s and swapping in the NV)

Areas to check- make sure hes running Champion Copper plugs, or champion truck plugs. Anything else will give you fits (dont buy into the V-power, multiple electrode garbage on dodge trucks) If if hasnt been replaced, go ahead and plan on replacing the bypass hose coming off the water pump. The plenum gasket, which is below the intake manifold is a must replace. Exhaust- they crack, not as much as a jeep's, but the cast iron manifolds like to crack at the collector, swap in a set of headers, youll love it.

Electrical- nothing major, except the rear axle speed sensor. They go frequently, just like on the 2500's

AND CHECK THE FRONT HUB BEARINGS AND BALL JOINTS!!! You dont want one of them to pop at 65!

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
thanks guys , he had the front end done at a dealer last month , thats all I know on that .

Seems to be a solid truck , no rust ect ..

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dave,
The 318 is a great motor. The only issue they had was sludge build up in the oil passages if you didnt stay on top of oil changes. They can be built to actually push more power than a 360, and they rev a heck of a lot faster than the 360. We did a head swap with a set of 360 R/T heads and it helped alot. Reliability wise, there is a reason dodge ran the magnum motors for so long, they last. The tranny should be an NV3500 5 speed, which is a fairly reliable transmission, and is actually a tranny that you as a jeep supplier should be fairly familiar with (the TJ's had either the AX-15, or the NV3500 depending on the year, and most of us YJ guys were pulling our AX-15s and swapping in the NV)

Areas to check- make sure hes running Champion Copper plugs, or champion truck plugs. Anything else will give you fits (dont buy into the V-power, multiple electrode garbage on dodge trucks) If if hasnt been replaced, go ahead and plan on replacing the bypass hose coming off the water pump. The plenum gasket, which is below the intake manifold is a must replace. Exhaust- they crack, not as much as a jeep's, but the cast iron manifolds like to crack at the collector, swap in a set of headers, youll love it.

Electrical- nothing major, except the rear axle speed sensor. They go frequently, just like on the 2500's

AND CHECK THE FRONT HUB BEARINGS AND BALL JOINTS!!! You dont want one of them to pop at 65!

I wouldnt say that it needs those plugs alot of guys like the autolite 3923s. That what I run in mine and have had no problems. But I agree with everything else you said.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think he meant more along the lines of any good copper core plug is what these magnum engines like best. I'm running a set of NGK's in mine right now as the local parts house was out of the Champion's and haven't had an issue out of them. Which reminds me, it's about time for a tune up for the old girl

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The autolites and NGK's are both good copper core, which is along the lines of what I meant, TXBASS thanks for clarifying that fact for me.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Magnum 5.2 was released in 1992. The 5.2 was the first of the Magnum upgraded engines, followed in 1993 by the 5.9 V8 and the 3.9 V6.

At the time of its introduction, the 5.2L Magnum created 230 hp (170 kW) @ 4,400rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque (410 N-M) @ 3,200rpm.[3] Production of this engine lasted until 2003, when it was completely replaced by the newer 4.7L PowerTech SOHC V8 engine.[10]

General characteristics:

Engine Type: 318 cid 90' V-8 OHV
Bore & Stroke: 3.91 x 3.31 in..(99.3 x 84.0 mm)
Displacement: 318 cu.in. (5.2 L)
Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Compression Ratio: 9.1 :1
Lubrication: Pressure Feed - Full Flow Filtration
Engine Oil Capacity: 5.0 Qts. (4.7 L) with Filter
Cooling System: Liquid - Forced Circulation - Ethylene Glycol Mixture

The 318's I've owned were bullet proof. Not much in the HP & Torque departments but very durable.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those 3923's are a little colder plug too. In my Gen2 days (lol) I heard about a little bit of a HP gain with them too.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive heard the same around the shop, but I never saw the paperwork to back it up. I know some mechs back in FL that made some seriously high HP/TQ out of the 318's with some basic mods (cam, heads etc) If I had a 1/2 ton, Id rather have the 318 than the 360

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
So what your saying is its a win win for me on this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, as long as she runs well...she obviously looks good based on the pics you posted. Only prob I see with it the tail light bezels need some paint so they match the black on the body, like a sport would have.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you'll do OK.

The front track bar is a weak area but there are lots of well engineered, stronger units available.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah dave, its a win/win. With your knowledge of mechanics and ability to source parts, this trucks minor mechanical problems with ease. Standard rules of all off road ready vehicles apply, perform the regular maintanance on time, and if it breaks, UPGRADE!

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
make sure you check the dash! its not really that big a deal, its just an aestetic, but prob 90 percent of the 2nd gens out there have a cracked dash.

I have also talked to a couple people that have had the oil sending unit go out..also not a big thing, just gives you wrong reads on gauge.

umm thats all I can think of that hasnt been said already, 19 mpg is SWEEET and pretty spectacular compared to other 2nd gens. sounds like it runs good, and it has a nice look. Good luck!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Looks like a fun ride and with the manual tranny it should be plenty snappy.

The 5.2 318 motor is a solid engine with a long history back to it's LA predecesor in the mid 60's. It offers amazing reliabilty, good mileage, and responds well to simple bolt on mods.

I guess my concerns would be drivetrain reliabilty when running such large tires. Unit hub bearings and front axle joints probably won't take any off road pounding.

Last edited:

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I agree with everyone else on it being solid. knew a guy that with a bone stock one and routine Maintnence, was around 300k miles before he decided to drop a new block in.

Also, another cosmetic, check the cup holder, ****** design and known for breaking.

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Thanks guys ...

Heading south to pick it up tomorrow

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
And dammit .. just ordered new tires for it ... found out the tires on it are bias ply ugh !!

Ordered some radials .. Mickey Thompson MTZ's .. love that tire