What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest I have no idea why I run them lower. The guy who did my DPF delete recommended it and since at the time I was new to towing I was taking any advice haha.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to run them lower. Seems to me your backend would be a lot more squirrelly like what happens when you have a low tire. Lol.

I think that's why the newer heavy duty trucks have a TPMS switch that you turn on for towing so that apparently you can run more pressure without causing the difference, making the light come on...

The A-pillar is a gauge one with an adapter for the programmer. Think it was like $25.
I went all out and bought a cover from Mopar and and the gauge pod adapter from Diablo Sport.

I always wanted a remote start but from what I've read having them in a Diesel isn't the easiest thing to do due to glow plugs over spark plugs.
I don't know about an older one such as your 08 but I think the new diesels have remote start.

I guess I'll be making an Auto Zone run to test my alternator

When was the last time you changed your batteries or your alternator? If it's been along time and lots of miles, it might be wise to bust out the wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moose Knuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah, I wouldn't want to run them lower. Seems to me your backend would be a lot more squirrelly like what happens when you have a low tire. Lol.

I think that's why the newer heavy duty trucks have a TPMS switch that you turn on for towing so that apparently you can run more pressure without causing the difference, making the light come on...

I went all out and bought a cover from Mopar and and the gauge pod adapter from Diablo Sport.

I don't know about an older one such as your 08 but I think the new diesels have remote start.

When was the last time you changed your batteries or your alternator? If it's been along time and lots of miles, it might be wise to bust out the wrenches.

Batteries are a year old alternator who knows came with the truck

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Batteries are a year old alternator who knows came with the truck

Have you ever ran them dead enough to have to be jump started? Auto batteries don't like to be discharged....lol. It greatly reduces their ability to hold a charge again unless you use deep cycle batteries that are made to be drained and charged up.

How many miles you got on it? Might just be a bad voltage regulator too which most likely is in your alternator.

Moose Knuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have you ever ran them dead enough to have to be jump started? Auto batteries don't like to be discharged....lol. It greatly reduces their ability to hold a charge again unless you use deep cycle batteries that are made to be drained and charged up.

How many miles you got on it? Might just be a bad voltage regulator too which most likely is in your alternator.

Never ran em dead. Got 155k on the truck.

Auto Zone got my voltage going from 14.5 down to 12.5 every 10-15 seconds. Seems like the cable from the battery to the alternator is corroded

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never ran em dead. Got 155k on the truck.
That's good.

155k on the clock for an 08, that's a lotta miles for an alternator. Especially one that has to run that big diesel motor and keep not one but two batteries charged.

Auto Zone got my voltage going from 14.5 down to 12.5 every 10-15 seconds. Seems like the cable from the battery to the alternator is corroded

That could very well be it. How did your alternator and voltage regulator check out? Did you have them check your batteries too just in case and since they had their equipment out?

Moose Knuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's good.

155k on the clock for an 08, that's a lotta miles for an alternator. Especially one that has to run that big diesel motor and keep not one but two batteries charged.

That could very well be it. How did your alternator and voltage regulator check out? Did you have them check your batteries too just in case and since they had their equipment out?

Yeah batteries were perfect.

He couldn't get a read on the alternator because that voltage was never stable. Kept jumping up and down.

I'm aware my clamps and cables are kind of bad, but the blue cable is the corroded one. It also is a smaller wire fused or clamped to the main wire going to the alternator. Seems like the previous owner didn't know what gauge wire to use

fa637c273a013732a253f582748a6a33.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah batteries were perfect.
That's cool. Of course, that woulda been the easiest route to repair, tho...lol.

He couldn't get a read on the alternator because that voltage was never stable. Kept jumping up and down.
Hmm. I figured his tester would've at least been able to test the internal regulator and the output voltage of the alternator.

I'm aware my clamps and cables are kind of bad, but the blue cable is the corroded one. It also is a smaller wire fused or clamped to the main wire going to the alternator. Seems like the previous owner didn't know what gauge wire to use

fa637c273a013732a253f582748a6a33.jpg

That clamp and those cables look pretty nasty. That might very well be a lot of your problem. Bad connections at batteries, ground and alternator account for a lot of problems.

Moose Knuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's cool. Of course, that woulda been the easiest route to repair, tho...lol.

Hmm. I figured his tester would've at least been able to test the internal regulator and the output voltage of the alternator.

That clamp and those cables look pretty nasty. That might very well be a lot of your problem. Bad connections at batteries, ground and alternator account for a lot of problems.

Dodge is stupid when it comes to these things. They tie the alternator cable into the left positive terminal cable, can't seem to find one separate. Just the one cable is $350.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it's only $225 o that site which is already $100 off

You might try building your own but that might be a ****-ton of work and ending up finding out why they cost so much pre-made...lol.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
damn my unlock button is sticking.......won't open the doors ....occasionally

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Ordered a set of RGB rock lights.
Got told I want the truck flashy for our wedding next weekend so I took full advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered a set of RGB rock lights.
Got told I want the truck flashy for our wedding next weekend so I took full advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol DEFINITELY take advantage of that before it gets taken back haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbassrex