what do dealerships use for trade in amount???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
how do you get a black book value? I tried to find one for mine before I went through this hassle 2 years ago. I got within 2 g of what I wanted for a trade in. I just gave up trying to sell it outright. Had it sold then the cel came on and was honest and told the guy. He backed out. First and last time it came on. I traded that ***** in the next day

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Black book is powered by cars.com and it's to damn hard to sell vehicles out right not many people want to deal with private party due to the hassle.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought the 2008 Dakota I ended up trading for my 2014 1500 I was really giving he salesman a hard time on pricing because I was also buying a used Durango from him too. He finally said to me " my kids have to eat". I looked at him and said I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to be honest I'm not worried if your kids eat. The look on his face was great. I think he was totally pissed at me, but i walked out with two cars at the numbers I wanted.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
When I bought the 2008 Dakota I ended up trading for my 2014 1500 I was really giving he salesman a hard time on pricing because I was also buying a used Durango from him too. He finally said to me " my kids have to eat". I looked at him and said I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to be honest I'm not worried if your kids eat. The look on his face was great. I think he was totally pissed at me, but i walked out with two cars at the numbers I wanted.

I like that they get anything the deserve for trying to make you feel bad about getting a good price on a vehicle, And if you leave with new vehicles they made money they will send them to auction before they lose money.

Last edited:

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

That whole argument ****** me off. I have my own kid to feed as well. I also have my own "brick and mortar" to pay for. Don't try and throw that **** in the mix because it just makes me want to shop somewhere else. I'm also a salesman (not cars) and my profit margins drop every year because of the economy and stiffer competition. You will never find me complaining to one of my customers about this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
another laugher and it usually comes from the sales manager, it typically goes a little like this "we are not making any money on this deal" My response tends to go "how/where did they get the millions to reno the dealership just last year.

OP
OP
D

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Aw man!! you guys too?!!! past few dealers I went to, from EACH one i got that "look man, we are throwing everything out there, we are not making any money on this deal." my uncle is a salesman and he told me that they will always make sure they make money off the deal, even if its just a few hundred bucks.

Last dealership I went to gave me an OUTRAGEOUS monthly payment... I said "look, im buying a car not a house, so lets not do this." I ended up walking out empty handed which yall know is hard to do. you almost talk yourself into thinking maybe they did throw out the best deal and maybe I can make those payments, all I have to do is slow down on fast food, stop buying shoes, get rid of that stupid membership lol, but we have to be patient!

OP
OP
D

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
@Cableguy_hd I went to black book . com and got my quote. DO NOT put in your real phone number, you will have dealers calling you knowing what to give you for it and you will be at a disadvantage when negotiating because black book gives a low value from what I have seen. but I usually put in my email and a fake number and stuff and then black book emails me my quote.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Trade value is typically determined as follows:

1) Actual value of the vehicle based upon recent auction sales
2) Value based upon other vehicles of like year/make/model/accessories
3) Condition
4) How eager you or your significant other has acted during the test drive
5) How long you're willing to negotiate
6) If part of a network, if another dealer needs the vehicle for another customer who they've had waiting for that specific year/make/model/condition
7) The vehicle you're purchasing - a 2014 Corvette will net you a much lower trade value than a model that isn't selling well.
8) Used Car Manager's current stock as he is less likely to give top dollar trade if he has a lot full of used vehicles
9) Options on the vehicle - diesel means much more in trade not simply because of value but because the "I want a diesel" syndrome. Try trading a small V6 Ram and they'll negotiate less on trade value than they would on a diesel.
10) Cost of new vehicle versus the used vehicle you're trying to trade. Some dealers will "move" money into a trade from the profit in their new vehicle. There is always an Actual Cash Value (ACV) of any vehicle but they'll make it look like they're giving you more trade money if you're purchase an expensive vehicle than if purchase one which is considerably less expensive - especially if trading a relatively new Ram truck for a brand new Dodge Dart for example.

Again, it's all based upon a number of factors which you most likely can't control. As indicated in an earlier email - if you want to control he situation, sell it yourself and then go into negotiate on a new vehicle with no trade.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Some advice

Dealers are increasingly user a service known as "Galves". Buyers can too but it is a fee based service requiring subscription. They claim to be more accurate but I think it is a service developed by dealers for dealers. Galves always has the lowest trade values when compared to KBB, NADA or Edmunds.

One thing I like to do is research the actual for sale prices of the vehicle I am trading in and its very revealing. The retail pricing is always $3,000 - $4,000 over the trade value showing the huge markup and profit that is sought. You can easily research vehicles like the one you're trading through Autotrader.com. I hope this helps.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the entire business is quasi legal at best IMO, and if you think there are games playing out in the 'front end' you really want to watch your backside when it comes to the 'back end'

you can and will take such a rootin' back there that you will not be able to remain seated for a week