What do y’all think the dealer will/should say?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have my ‘19 Power Wagon in the dealer right now. Something failed at the fitting where the brake line connects to the driver front caliper and it leaked brake fluid on my Method NV wheel which now has ate off most of the paint off it.

They are going to fix the brake leak, but what do y’all think they will/should say about the wheel? I know what my opinion is: they should replace the wheel.
Discuss.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I don't they will repair/replace the wheel... but good luck!

Rancid Lunchmeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think they're going to tell you that the warranty is limited to covering specified mechanical items and that you need to submit a claim to your insurance if you want somebody else to pay for replacing the wheel.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I think they should replace/repair the wheel. What I believe is they will tell you you're SOL since it isn't the OEM wheel.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I think they should replace/repair the wheel. What I believe is they will tell you you're SOL since it isn't the OEM wheel.
Agree some what, but this dealer sells a lot of Jeeps and Rams with aftermarket wheels which they install, so they can’t really complain too much about that.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Read your warranty. It might disclaim any warranty for damage to owner installed items.

But you can always argue the point that the wheel would be fine if the fitting hadn't failed in the first place.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I think they're going to tell you that the warranty is limited to covering specified mechanical items and that you need to submit a claim to your insurance if you want somebody else to pay for replacing the wheel.
So it’s their faulty brake line issue which caused the damage. So would the scenario be different if the wheels were stock?

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How close were you to having a brake failure? That sounds like a pretty significant leak!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you have a good chance of getting made whole unless you had previously messed with the brake lines or your wheels were a different offset and caused rubbing on the brake lines.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In any case make sure you speak with the actual Ram customer claims and warranty rep and just not the dealership. The warranty is technically covered by the manufacturer and they make the final call, not the dealership. Even if the manufacturer won't cover anything I would push the dealer to replace the wheel under good faith reasons (especially if you bought the truck at that location).

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
How close were you to having a brake failure? That sounds like a pretty significant leak!
Yes, I had to add some to feel semi safe to drive long enough to get to the appointment, and by that time it was on MIN again.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
In any case make sure you speak with the actual Ram customer claims and warranty rep and just not the dealership. The warranty is technically covered by the manufacturer and they make the final call, not the dealership. Even if the manufacturer won't cover anything I would push the dealer to replace the wheel under good faith reasons (especially if you bought the truck at that location).
Good advice, I hope it doesn’t come to that.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Agree some what, but this dealer sells a lot of Jeeps and Rams with aftermarket wheels which they install, so they can’t really complain too much about that.
Agreed. If it's the wheel that was installed when purchased new they should cover it.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would be surprised if they replace the wheel since it's aftermarket. If they installed it, it might be a different story.

Does your vehicle insurance cover aftermarket accessories, etc? Maybe a route to consider if it does.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Who installed the wheels/performed rotation and damaged the fitting? Brake lines just don't start leaking on their own without corrosion/heat or severe impact, especially on a 2 year old vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Who installed the wheels/performed rotation and damaged the fitting? Brake lines just don't start leaking on their own without corrosion/heat or severe impact, especially on a 2 year old vehicle.

I installed them, carefully and torqued to spec. They are being rotated while the repair is done for the first time. And I haven’t hit anything or had any type of impacts.
The service rep said the brake line has to be replaced and was leaking.
They are pretty much going to say they aren’t going to do anything about the wheel, and he said even if it was a factory wheel he didn’t think they’d do anything about it. But he’s giving me the number for the claims rep.
He said “check on the warranty from the wheel manufacturer”. I said “they aren’t going to, and shouldn’t have to warranty a wheel that was damaged by something that they’re not at fault for, but Ram is”. Anyway, it’s wrong. I’m not really surprised, but it’s wrong.

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you get photos ? if my brakes were leaking i would get under there and see what the problem was first thing. now days it seems everyone doesnt want to get their penny loafers dirty and just run to the dealer

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yes, I had to add some to feel semi safe to drive long enough to get to the appointment, and by that time it was on MIN again.

It would have been safer to call and have them tow it in.

Brake fluid is inflammable. Squirting from a leaking caliper connector onto the exhaust system could have ignited other plastics such as cable covers.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Surprised they didn’t tell you the wheels caused the leak, so no warranty. But
I think it should all be covered. Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Speaking solely from the perspective of my MaxxCare warranty, cosmetic items are generally NOT covered by warranty. So even if it was a stock wheel, if it still functions as a wheel (tire/valve stem fit and hold air) then it won't be messed with. If it were cracked/worn through, then it would be replaced.

I'm betting this will be their response.