What do y’all think the dealer will/should say?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Someone lesser than you may have had the leaking brake fluid get on their skin, causing debilitating injury and pain... cough, cough, cough... perhaps I'd feel better with a new wheel... cough, cough, cough.... ;-)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone lesser than you may have had the leaking brake fluid get on their skin, causing debilitating injury and pain... cough, cough, cough... perhaps I'd feel better with a new wheel... cough, cough, cough.... ;-)

Bahahahahahahhahaahaha

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's called resulting damage. In a perfect world, damage caused by a failed component that's covered under warranty is also covered. Unfortunately, Ram customer service doesn't seem to function in a perfect world. I spent too many years working as a tech at a Subaru dealer. Subaru always covered resulting damage. But comparing Subaru customer service to Ram customer service is like comparing a bone in ribeye to chopped steak.

I'm sure Ramcares will be along shortly with the cookie cutter "we're sorry you have a problem" response. Maybe they'll actually help you. Maybe they won't. Good luck, keep us posted.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is it Ram or is it old school dealers? I feel that Ram wants to treat the customer better than the OG network does... maybe that's just my impression. Culture change at dealerships is difficult, especially if those at the top are well compensated with the status quo. Going down a rabbit hole a bit, but that's where allowing newcomers (a al Tesla) to break the regulated dealership paradigm is so important... most people won't change until they have to.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is it Ram or is it old school dealers? I feel that Ram wants to treat the customer better than the OG network does... maybe that's just my impression. Culture change at dealerships is difficult, especially if those at the top are well compensated with the status quo. Going down a rabbit hole a bit, but that's where allowing newcomers (a al Tesla) to break the regulated dealership paradigm is so important... most people won't change until they have to.

This is also plausible. You could have one of those dealers that just doesn't want to work with anyone - there are a lot of those around.

There's one dealer near me that I refuse to go to because I have heard far too many horror stories across all the brands they sell/service...which includes Mopar, Toyota, and Subaru.

The one I work with (who also sells Ford) has flat-out told me that anything they install on my truck won't affect my warranty so long as I bring it to them. I'll stick with where I'm at.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's called resulting damage. In a perfect world, damage caused by a failed component that's covered under warranty is also covered. Unfortunately, Ram customer service doesn't seem to function in a perfect world. I spent too many years working as a tech at a Subaru dealer. Subaru always covered resulting damage. But comparing Subaru customer service to Ram customer service is like comparing a bone in ribeye to chopped steak.

I'm sure Ramcares will be along shortly with the cookie cutter "we're sorry you have a problem" response. Maybe they'll actually help you. Maybe they won't. Good luck, keep us posted.

that made me laugh. I have owned 4 subarus and two of them were great but two were terrible and the warranty response was the worst. My last a 2016 outback limited was the last straw. We bought it new and had it back so many times in the the first 6 months we finally said enough was enough and traded it on a new CRV touring. The funny thing is Subaru USA contacted me shortly after trading it stating that they wanted another chance to earn my business back. They acknowledge they dropped the ball..it was too late.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
that made me laugh. I have owned 4 subarus and two of them were great but two were terrible and the warranty response was the worst. My last a 2016 outback limited was the last straw. We bought it new and had it back so many times in the the first 6 months we finally said enough was enough and traded it on a new CRV touring. The funny thing is Subaru USA contacted me shortly after trading it stating that they wanted another chance to earn my business back. They acknowledge they dropped the ball..it was too late.

Well, as always, your individual mileage may vary. As mentioned above, the dealership itself and/or it's relationship with it's factory service rep could certainly influence the final outcome.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well, as always, your individual mileage may vary. As mentioned above, the dealership itself and/or it's relationship with it's factory service rep could certainly influence the final outcome.

It always does. And you can generally tell how that relationship is when you interact with people at the dealership.

It also matters what your relationship with the dealer is. If you're asking questions and staying calm while you're there, they'll work with you and even like you. If you're always in there yelling and screaming, while dissing their products and employees...Yeah, they won't turn down your money but I will guarantee as soon as you're gone most people will say 'Man I hate that person.'

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The one I work with (who also sells Ford) has flat-out told me that anything they install on my truck won't affect my warranty so long as I bring it to them. I'll stick with where I'm at.

I work with an aftermarket supplier that provides parts for dealer installs. They're frequently on the showroom floor as builds to help market the vehicle's potential. The markup on those installs is really high. Even if they had to eat a warranty claim the profit from those parts (and install labor) would offset it. Cars/Trucks are a commodity. Consumers will buy the vehicle from whomever has the lowest price so dealers have to find margin elsewhere. Trade-ins, used cars, service, and parts are where they make their money. The OEM brand name on the sign out front really only serves to legitimize the other parts of the business.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agree some what, but this dealer sells a lot of Jeeps and Rams with aftermarket wheels which they install, so they can’t really complain too much about that.
If you bought the aftermarket wheels with the truck and they installed them, than they have to cpover them, I had ordered running boards throu the dealer, not the ram ones, and they installed them, the chrome started to lift after a couple of yrs, and the dealer replaced them. If I had installed them after I bought the truck, A 1 yr old Laramie, They would not have paid for them. But as they installed at time of sale, it was covered under the truck warranty. Ended up with 2 new sets, because of crap chrome.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the leak cause your rim to fail, or did it just lift the finish which is purely a cosmetic thing at this point?

PWBOI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer can claim the wheel as consequential damage , they have a labor operation code that the Warranty administrator can use for the claim to be paid by FCA . The Service Manager has the authority to do this. In such case if he tells you no , he is not
Using his resources to get this done , or the other way is for you to replace the wheel on your own and have the manager reach out to his District Manager for a reimbursement. If that does not work for you call 800-992-1997 and start a claim, at such time they will contact the dealer. As the main failure was the brake component. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The service guy said that since the wheel is still functional and safe to drive on, they wouldn’t replace or repair it. I asked “what if it was the factory wheel?” And he said they still probably wouldn’t do any about it, which I found to be hard to believe. I’m trying to decide whether to sand and paint the wheel (which I can do), buy a new one or, try to appeal to the RAM claims people about the situation.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The dealer can claim the wheel as consequential damage , they have a labor operation code that the Warranty administrator can use for the claim to be paid by FCA . The Service Manager has the authority to do this. In such case if he tells you no , he is not
Using his resources to get this done , or the other way is for you to replace the wheel on your own and have the manager reach out to his District Manager for a reimbursement. If that does not work for you call 800-992-1997 and start a claim, at such time they will contact the dealer. As the main failure was the brake component. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Thanks a lot, I might try this.

OP
OP
ZLAYER

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The brake line was apparently bent and had a leak right at the caliper. Don’t know if it was like that when I bought it and took a while to develop the leak. Nothing has happened to cause it while I’ve had it.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I’d use the discoloured rim as your spare and order another wheel rim, and go over the dealers head to district manager. Worst case is you have to pay for it, but have a matching rim and good tire for a spare, best case you get an upgraded spare/tire and reimbursement.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
As someone that worked at a dealership. I sold cars and trucks.

Dealerships are dishonest in some respect. They will cut every corner they can.

Someone on the first page of this post mentioned taking it higher than the dealer. That is the only way you will get what you deserve.

Dealerships are the serpent in the garden of eden. They don't appear to be that evil. But they are.

Their is very little a person that works at a dealership can say to a customer and get in trouble. Very little.

Please keep this in mind. I want you to get your rim fixed. I know it's going to be war.

Come ready to fight. Know the number for warranty repair. Get the business card of the service department's manager.

After you are done talking to the service department. Don't loose your cool. The higher ups won't take you seriously if you do. You are being video taped. Call warranty repair when you get home. Then wait to hear back.

With this you should get your rim fixed.
Good luck.