What do y’all think the dealer will/should say?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have my ‘19 Power Wagon in the dealer right now. Something failed at the fitting where the brake line connects to the driver front caliper and it leaked brake fluid on my Method NV wheel which now has ate off most of the paint off it.

They are going to fix the brake leak, but what do y’all think they will/should say about the wheel? I know what my opinion is: they should replace the wheel.
Discuss.

If they replace the aftermarket wheel I will be very impressed, if it were still the factory wheel I suspect you would have a better chance.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
So it’s their faulty brake line issue which caused the damage. So would the scenario be different if the wheels were stock?

Yes, it would be different. Their cost for a stock wheel might be something like $100 (for example) but they have no control of what someone else installs and how much that cost (possibly several times that). Any insurance/warranty scheme is based off the probability and cost of a warranty repair. They are going to put as many restrictions on those scenarios as possible to control that probability. If you wanted a warranty that covered damage to any expensive thing you added to the vehicle, I'm sure the dealer would have to charge exorbitantly more on the front end, and that's just not competitive or practical so they're not going to do that.

I expect you're out of luck, but let us know what they say.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s a good dealership they will repair or replace it. If it was stock they would replace it because it occurred due to the failure of another covered part. After market, who knows?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it would be different. Their cost for a stock wheel might be something like $100 (for example) but they have no control of what someone else installs and how much that cost (possibly several times that). Any insurance/warranty scheme is based off the probability and cost of a warranty repair. They are going to put as many restrictions on those scenarios as possible to control that probability. If you wanted a warranty that covered damage to any expensive thing you added to the vehicle, I'm sure the dealer would have to charge exorbitantly more on the front end, and that's just not competitive or practical so they're not going to do that.

I expect you're out of luck, but let us know what they say.
I understand what you are saying, but almost guarantee the aftermarket wheel has a lower sticker price than an OE Power Wagon wheel that goes for almost $500 each. Even the dealer cost is probably way higher.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to tell you, but I ran into a similar problem years ago. They will show you THEIR huge volume of the warranty (as opposed to the dinky little copy YOU get) where it will state in so many words that they will fix the problem but are not responsible for any collateral damage caused by the failure of the part.

I had a rear axle seal leak in under thirty mile that soaked the brake pads rendering them useless. The seal was replaced, but I received a bill for the parts and labor for the brakes.

Good luck.

Cheers

Bob

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I agree with the post, make it a spare, buy a new Method and move on. Pick your fights.
GL