What do yall think about this catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What actually CATCHES the oil vapor? There is nothing in the description to even imply this is anything but an empty "can". That being said, the BT can also has no information about any filter media which is why I went with the Moroso. Yeah its more money but I want to run my truck for years and years...

OP
OP
cmiller0711

cmiller0711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What actually CATCHES the oil vapor? There is nothing in the description to even imply this is anything but an empty "can". That being said, the BT can also has no information about any filter media which is why I went with the Moroso. Yeah its more money but I want to run my truck for years and years...

What part number did you use?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The one thing to look for is one where the bottom reservoir screws off. It makes draining them SIMPLE!!! Otherwise, it's a huge PITA mess. I notice all the "cheap" ones have drain valves. NO THANKS!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What is the filter media in these generally made of? Could a fine plastic filter be put in there since the breather gases probably aren't that hot by the time they get to the can?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
What is the filter media in these generally made of? Could a fine plastic filter be put in there since the breather gases probably aren't that hot by the time they get to the can?

More like a very course steel wool or sometimes screen material. Enough to slow the oil down take it out of suspension and let it drop into the can.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More like a very course steel wool or sometimes screen material. Enough to slow the oil down take it out of suspension and let it drop into the can.

It's not so much the oil slowing down as it is giving the oil droplets in the vapor something to stick to so they come out of suspension.

Usually, there is a spin in the air flow to assist in this, since the lighter air can easily make the turn, but the heavier oil droplets can't, and they stick to the wall, and then drain down.