What do you like about the dial shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MT Hillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried to watch that video.....Man that guy is dull.
A trick surprisingly a lot of people don't know is that you can speed up u tub videos, if you click on settings and select 2 or 1.5 you can still understand what they are saying and spend half as long doing so! (Some people speak so slowly with long pauses that 3 is usable)
What he said was about fifteen minutes into it. and is that he wears out auto stick's due to the nature of his work, shifting into and out of park a LOT making deliveries.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A trick surprisingly a lot of people don't know is that you can speed up u tub videos, if you click on settings and select 2 or 1.5 you can still understand what they are saying and spend half as long doing so! (Some people speak so slowly with long pauses that 3 is usable)
What he said was about fifteen minutes into it. and is that he wears out auto stick sifters due to the nature of his work, shifting into and out of park a LOT making deliveries.

I'll take your word for it....I have a very hard time watching a lot of Youtube stuff.
So many of the people that make these videos are so crushingly boring that I never get to the info I want before I want to smash the computer to bits with a baseball bat.

Now, As far as the dial shifter is concerned....It took me a couple of days to get used to it and now I really like it, it takes up no room in my cab like the floor shifter did and is infinetly more convenient in my opinion than the old column shifter was.

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
I don't mind it. Took me only a couple of days to get used to it. I'm tall so it feels like I have a little more room. I also think it looks cleaner. It's funny how driving my wifes car with the shifter on the console feel a little different now.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My 2015 Express being my first truck I have nothing to compare it too. It is a little odd but I agree with those that feel it makes the cab less cluttered and I actually really like it.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still haven't gotten used to it after a year. I like having the space in the console for other things and not having a column shifter but it still doesn't come naturally to me to put it in gear.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the look... I am used to it, just wish there was a stop between R and P, to stop the accidental put into P when doing fast K/U-turns.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 3500 Diesel/Aisin Crew Dually
Engine
Diesel
Absolutely hate it! What were the RAM engineers thinking! I've already lost one freezer in my garage because I stepped out of my truck thinking I was in Park but not really. CRASH! Dial Shifters belong on luxury cars like Mercedes - not trucks. The overwhelming technology in my RAM trucks makes me uneasy but still, I love the brand and my RAM trucks have served me well. However I will never ever buy a truck with a Dial Shifter again.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP, what do you mean it takes of it if you forget to put it in Park? I must be missing something here...refer to the above post, it doesn’t take care of anything, at least not on mine (2014 Laramie Limited).

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I knew going in that I would need some time to get use to the knob and went a week or so grabbing for a console shifter that was no longer there. Then again, I remember going to my first automatic transmission car and trying to shift it at stops like my old column mounted 3-speeds standards. That took longer to get use to and I was much younger then.

I've come to like the knob concept and, despite claims otherwise, I haven't lost any sense of masculinity. I'm amazed at the number of people that think the knob is a wuzz, yet spend hours moving a joystick playing video games.

I'm glad there's no column shifter. It makes for a cleaner looking interior and there are less mechanical components to wear and break, like those shift cables on previous generations.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 071863 miles.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP, what do you mean it takes of it if you forget to put it in Park? I must be missing something here...refer to the above post, it doesn’t take care of anything, at least not on mine (2014 Laramie Limited).

It is designed with the assumption that when you go to get out of your truck you will turn the key off first. If you leave it in Drive and turn the key off it will auto shift into park and you can't pull the key out until you turn it back to on and then off.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought mine new in 2014, it only took the trip home and rest of the day to get used to it.
It's only a problem when I drive my wife's Rogue and I can't find the shifter. lol

Discover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The concept is good but having 2 more round knobs next to it, radio and a/c, it’s hard to verify, without looking, which knob you’re turning. The three knobs need different shapes other than just size to distinguish them without looking to verify. Also as others have said here there needs to be a safety so it doesn’t go into park so easy. I have not confirmed if you can destroy the tranny by accidentally shifting to park while running down the road. But one could easily think they’re turning down the radio when actually turning the shifter into park while going 70mph...I know it’ll go into park while moving slowly. just don’t know about with speed.

Rubidad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too like the dial.... I wish my 2017 Express had a dial to switch from 2WD to 4WD as I find I have to take my eyes off the road to find the badly designed buttons that have poor tactile feedback. The buttons on the steering wheel have poor tactile feedback too......

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Absolutely hate it! What were the RAM engineers thinking! I've already lost one freezer in my garage because I stepped out of my truck thinking I was in Park but not really. CRASH! Dial Shifters belong on luxury cars like Mercedes - not trucks. The overwhelming technology in my RAM trucks makes me uneasy but still, I love the brand and my RAM trucks have served me well. However I will never ever buy a truck with a Dial Shifter again.

You have a gear indicator on the shifter and in the cluster. If you did what you did, you would have done the same even with a colum or regular shifter.

As to the question, I wish my 2018 HD had the dial.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fact that I don't jamb my thumb or forefinger anymore when I raise my right hand real quick to give some stupid driver the bird.:)

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You have a gear indicator on the shifter and in the cluster. If you did what you did, you would have done the same even with a colum or regular shifter.

This has always been my thinking. No matter what the physical piece is you have to shift into park. Whether it be a dial or a button or a column shifter, whatever. How do you even manage to get out of the vehicle fast enough before you realize it's rolling on you? My truck will start rolling the second I let my foot off the brake.

Moot point now any ways, Ram has since made it where the second you open the door it will auto shift into park, since people were suing them over that exact thing.

I have known people who have forgot to put their car in park before with traditional style shifters. I think it's easy to blame the knob just because it's "different".

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my 2017, If I turn the truck off while it is in drive, it blinks and puts it in park and I get a message in the cluster.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has always been my thinking. No matter what the physical piece is you have to shift into park. Whether it be a dial or a button or a column shifter, whatever. How do you even manage to get out of the vehicle fast enough before you realize it's rolling on you? My truck will start rolling the second I let my foot off the brake.

Moot point now any ways, Ram has since made it where the second you open the door it will auto shift into park, since people were suing them over that exact thing.

I have known people who have forgot to put their car in park before with traditional style shifters. I think it's easy to blame the knob just because it's "different".
Never did it before the knob.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like that I look like an idiot reaching for it when I now drive some else's car lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm slowly getting used to the dial. Slowly. If I'm the least bit distracted, however, there's a good chance my radio volume will go up when what I really intended to do was put it in reverse so I could back out of a parking spot.