What does this part do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all:

I recently bought a used 09 Laramie and have been wondering what the interior part just above the sliding rear window is for. It looks like an infrared bar or something. I have heard that it maybe for the auto climate control or maybe has something to do with park assist. Any Ideas?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the reply. I'll post a pic as soon as I get out to the truck after work.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not the best pic but you can see it between the window and dome light

20180113_075245.jpg

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A light tug to the side and it comes out. I tried to run a search on the part numbers but came up empty20180113_075308.jpg 20180113_075320.jpg 20180113_075320.jpg

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pretty sure that monitors your muffler bearings, I can’t be certain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might be the sensor that goes with the back up assist ( those lines and grid that come up in reverse) . Or it was planted by the Germans to read your thoughts.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@patchelect THANK YOU!! This helps me get one more step closer in trying to diagnose my park assist fault. Wasn't sure it was a component of that system or not. I think it has 4 lights that illuminate and correspond to what sensors are picking up an object. Now to pull out the volt meter and see what's what.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@BWL do you mean the lines on the back up camera display? Even though my park assist is throwing up an error I still have the lines show up on the display.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@BWL do you mean the lines on the back up camera display? Even though my park assist is throwing up an error I still have the lines show up on the display.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm really not sure. Most of the time a park assist error is one of the 4 bumper sensors or one of the connectors to the bumper sensors though. Happens more on trucks without mud flaps since they get more gunk sprayed on them from the back tires.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The park assist error was showing when I bought the truck but one of the sensors was physically damaged so I figured that was most likely the problem. All sensors were clicking in reverse except that one. Changed it and it too is clicking now but the system is still not working. This truck had the leaking 3rd brake light at one point. It still shows the water stains on the headliner. I'm suspecting this part may have had a shower or two in the past. The error shows up as soon as I start the vehicle and the button on the dash it constantly illuminated. Don't know if that means anything.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Whenever mine stopped working. I'd start the truck and it would give the chime and the park assist off button would light up. Every time on every truck and there's been many times on multiple trucks it's in my cases been a faulty sensor or damaged plug. I know with the dealer diagnostic tool they can tell which of the 4 sensors is faulting, but my plug in code reader won't.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I heard the odb readers won't do it. Will probably just take it to my mechanic to get it diagnosed before I start throwing too many parts at the problem. Will the sensors still click in reverse with a faulty connection? I was under the assumption that the clicking indicates the sensors are operating sufficiently.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems like they can click, but still give an error.

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it's off to the stealer to run a scan then. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That should be the display for the back up sensors in your rear bumper. Park assist.