What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Dealer told me no recall and I’m not cutting down my trees or park down the street over a cheep truck that can’t handle tiny acorns or bumps in the road

You can go to the link below and check yourself if you have the power lock tailgate. I think it was just those affected.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the euro cars use them at least German and French. Maybe with peugot being part of stellantis they'll add it.
I Hope Not lol.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I Hope Not lol.
Why not? It's just a little pop out panel with a sprayer that cleans your lights with the push of a button. Would easily fit on that filler panel between the bumper and headlight on the 5th gens. I also want them to add a little piece of heater grid on the windshield where the wipers sit to thaw them like the ford's have.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not? It's just a little pop out panel with a sprayer that cleans your lights with the push of a button. Would easily fit on that filler panel between the bumper and headlight on the 5th gens. I also want them to add a little piece of heater grid on the windshield where the wipers sit to thaw them like the ford's have.
Because when "Stellantis" gets done putting that lil gem in, the way they do the BCM, truck probably not start if the fluid bottle goes low, LMAO.. :joke:

Kinda like the AC TSB, which a lot to include me had done. The TSB work was OK, helped a lot, but the new BCM programming for the HVAC system is lousy. They derated the system on remote starts to the point that AC/Heat control on remote start is down like 80%, barely works, and dealership said it is programming, nothing they can do and said: Maybe FCA will come out with a flash.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I'll admit to not reading all 489 pages so these may have been mentioned. I've had my Ram for about 6 weeks and put close to 2K miles on it.

1) Fuel mileage calculator is way off. If it says I'm getting 15.6 it's actually 14 mpg. If it says I'm getting 13.8 it's actually 12 mpg.
2) Lack of downshifting when in tow/haul mode. I pulled my boat this weekend first time towing anything and when in tow/haul mode there was zero downshifting when I applied the brake to stop.
3) MDS is a PITA. The sound of it drives me crazy and it makes the engine lug or strain. I'm not sure it helps with fuel economy either.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems slow to shift from drive to reverse and back. Too long of a delay to change transmission settings.

I hate that the radio puts up a numerical volume display every time I adjust the volume. I really don't need to know a number setting. I adjust the volume according to my ears, not by a number on the display. The annoying thing is that I have to wait for the volume level display to disappear before I can make any other adjustments to the radio - like advance to the next song or change stations. And I hate touch screens anyway. I'm sure one touch screen is cheaper than putting individual bass, treble, fade, and balance knobs but those knobs are worth paying for in my opinion.

I don't like that the cargo light automatically comes on every time I open and close the door.

I do not like the electronic throttle. The stock throttle response sucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What don't I like? The fact that to swap out the tranny fluid is a major operation. Used to be drain it, fill it, drive. Those were the good ol' days.
I’m not entirely sold on that “lifetime” fill myself but there’s a couple guys on here who have put well over 120,000 miles on their trucks and still haven’t even needed to service the transmission. But at least if yours ever needs to be done, I know there’s a write up on here somewhere that shows a pretty easy way to do it DiY but as far as the ease of the old ways then well, it just is what it is I guess. For well over 10 years now, all of these vehicles have pretty much gotten to the point to where you need a college degree in something just to work on them.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer told me no recall and I’m not cutting down my trees or park down the street over a cheep truck that can’t handle tiny acorns or bumps in the road
Your truck might not even be affected by that tailgate recall that the majority of us fourth GEN owners had to deal with but have you at least checked your latches to make sure they’re clean, adjusted properly and well greased? I know if I’m not careful and if I don’t actually in the least little bit slam my tailgate when I shut it, sometimes it won’t latch.

But you’re getting dents from little bitty acorns falling out of a tree?? This past March, my truck was pelted with almost acorn size hail while sitting in the driveway and it didn’t put a dent one in it.

Octane

Reaction score
Seems slow to shift from drive to reverse and back. Too long of a delay to change transmission settings.

I hate that the radio puts up a numerical volume display every time I adjust the volume. I really don't need to know a number setting. I adjust the volume according to my ears, not by a number on the display. The annoying thing is that I have to wait for the volume level display to disappear before I can make any other adjustments to the radio - like advance to the next song or change stations. And I hate touch screens anyway. I'm sure one touch screen is cheaper than putting individual bass, treble, fade, and balance knobs but those knobs are worth paying for in my opinion.

I don't like that the cargo light automatically comes on every time I open and close the door.

I dislike this too.Except mine shifts ok.I also disconnected my electric tailgate switch locking.Pedal commander works too as far as laggy feeling issue.I may take the bulbs out of the cargo lite

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll admit to not reading all 489 pages so these may have been mentioned. I've had my Ram for about 6 weeks and put close to 2K miles on it.
Egh, it don’t matter…lol. Between the rotary dial shifter and the MDS, those seem to be the most complained about things people don’t like on these trucks so number of times is irrelevant.
1) Fuel mileage calculator is way off. If it says I'm getting 15.6 it's actually 14 mpg. If it says I'm getting 13.8 it's actually 12 mpg.
Have those ever actually been accurate? Hand calculated is always your better bet if you truly want to know what you’re getting.
2) Lack of downshifting when in tow/haul mode. I pulled my boat this weekend first time towing anything and when in tow/haul mode there was zero downshifting when I applied the brake to stop.
Really? Mine downshifts all the time when in tow/haul mode. Maybe have something wrong, perhaps? There’s always the manual shift buttons too.
3) MDS is a PITA. The sound of it drives me crazy and it makes the engine lug or strain. I'm not sure it helps with fuel economy either.
I don’t think it does. Your only option to get around it is with a tuner with a new unlocked PCM to disable it or make it a habit to use your manual shift buttons on your steering wheel to put it in manual shift mode. Your transmission will still shift automatically as normal but no MDS.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate that the radio puts up a numerical volume display every time I adjust the volume. I really don't need to know a number setting. I adjust the volume according to my ears, not by a number on the display.
Wow… sorry…lol.
The annoying thing is that I have to wait for the volume level display to disappear before I can make any other adjustments to the radio - like advance to the next song or change stations. And I hate touch screens anyway. I'm sure one touch screen is cheaper than putting individual bass, treble, fade, and balance knobs but those knobs are worth paying for in my opinion.
I guess I just don’t live that fast paced to where I can’t wait a couple seconds after changing the volume to make other changes on whatever else. Which as a matter fact, before I read this, I didn’t even think that was a thing.

But, other than getting scratches over time on my screen from it being a touchscreen, I love that it’s got a touchscreen. Makes the dash so much cleaner looking from having all these unnecessary knobs everywhere.

Being that they made it to where you can shut the interior lights off completely when your doors are open, they could’ve incorporated a way to temporarily disable your cargo light like when you were camping or something and didn’t want the light to come on disturbing people if you had to get something out of the truck.
Two words: Pedal Commander. Or, one of them other two or three brands of throttle pedal adjusters, doesn’t matter. The PC at least gives you Bluetooth control so there is that about that one if so desired. I had a PC and loved it but ended up getting rid of it because either there was something wrong with it or my truck just didn’t like it because far too many times, it would trigger a check engine light on my electronic throttle control.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Because when "Stellantis" gets done putting that lil gem in, the way they do the BCM, truck probably not start if the fluid bottle goes low, LMAO.. :joke:

Kinda like the AC TSB, which a lot to include me had done. The TSB work was OK, helped a lot, but the new BCM programming for the HVAC system is lousy. They derated the system on remote starts to the point that AC/Heat control on remote start is down like 80%, barely works, and dealership said it is programming, nothing they can do and said: Maybe FCA will come out with a flash.
I guess I haven't had that flash. Mine just goes into auto to set the last temp set. When cold enough the seat heater and steering wheel heater come on automatically. Can be a bit of an annoyance to passengers that only the drivers seat comes on though when remote started.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I haven't had that flash. Mine just goes into auto to set the last temp set. When cold enough the seat heater and steering wheel heater come on automatically. Can be a bit of an annoyance to passengers that only the drivers seat comes on though when remote started.
Well, gonna be a while till I know if Steering Wheel, seats come on.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, gonna be a while till I know if Steering Wheel, seats come on.
Mine does, in my 18. I’m not sure what the temperature is but when it gets down to a certain temperature outside and I go to remote start my truck, it automatically turns on the heated steering wheel and the warmer in driver seat and even in the summertime when I go to remote start my truck, it automatically turns on the ventilation fan in my driver seat.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Egh, it don’t matter…lol. Between the rotary dial shifter and the MDS, those seem to be the most complained about things people don’t like on these trucks so number of times is irrelevant.
Glad I don't have the rotary dial shifter that would have been on my list too
Have those ever actually been accurate? Hand calculated is always your better bet if you truly want to know what you’re getting.
My 05 Ram 2500 wasn't accurate either. I've had a couple other half tons (Ford & Tundra) and they were within 1/2 mpg.
Really? Mine downshifts all the time when in tow/haul mode. Maybe have something wrong, perhaps? There’s always the manual shift buttons too.
Yeah mine doesn't. I was pulling my boat which isn't that heavy (4K lbs) and uses a 4 way flat. Wonder if I have to have something plugged into the 7 way round to engage the downshift mode in the tranny?
I don’t think it does. Your only option to get around it is with a tuner with a new unlocked PCM to disable it or make it a habit to use your manual shift buttons on your steering wheel to put it in manual shift mode. Your transmission will still shift automatically as normal but no MDS.
Might try the manual shift option if I don't get used to it. I checked into having it deleted and it would void the $2000 extended warranty I just bought on the truck (at least void the engine part of the warranty) so not get5ting the tuner at least for another 75K miles.

Thanks for the info!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah mine doesn't. I was pulling my boat which isn't that heavy (4K lbs) and uses a 4 way flat. Wonder if I have to have something plugged into the 7 way round to engage the downshift mode in the tranny?
Egh, I doubt that has anything to do with it. Well, I guess maybe it could because instead of using that dinky little flat four prong plug that came on my little Tractor Supply-special 10 foot utility trailer, I cut that little POS off and wired up a seven prong plug just because those are a lot easier to grab and they generally last longer but then again, since I don’t have magnet brakes on that trailer, I highly doubt that plug is what’s making my truck do that because also, I just thought of, if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure that even without a trailer connected to my truck, if I put it in tow haul mode, it’ll still downshift just the same when I come to a stop so, you might have something going on if your transmission won’t actually try to help slow you down when you got tow haul mode turned on.
Might try the manual shift option if I don't get used to it. I checked into having it deleted and it would void the $2000 extended warranty I just bought on the truck (at least void the engine part of the warranty) so not get5ting the tuner at least for another 75K miles.
That manual shift option is a pain but hey, it works. I don’t care for the MDS in my truck but I’m thankful that it’s at least not near as obnoxious as the MDS was in my old truck because even with the fairly loud Carven Progressive muffler and the 5 inch tips that I have on my current truck, the MDS rattle really isn’t all that noticeable like it was on my old 2008. I’m really glad just a simple tuner was all it took to turn that off because it made my exhaust on that truck sound like dog doo.

The MDS may be different but unless they can prove that something happened to your engine in the event of a warranty claim due to the MDS being disabled, the Magnuson moss act pretty much prevents and protects them from just outright voting oir warranty but unless you can find a way to permanently disable it that wouldn’t leave a trace behind, I wouldn’t mess with it. You could look into that edge pulsar tuner that either hooks up post or pre-PCM that I’ve heard will shut the MDS off and not leave a digital trace but I’m not too sure about that.

Thanks for the info!
Hey man, you’re welcome. Just despite what some other people have accused, some of us really are trying to help with the things people don’t like.

Elvira

Reaction score
I absolutely love my truck, added the soft down assist for tail gate which should be standard, added a full bed rug and BakFlip tonneau...I couldn't be happier. Truck came loaded with all the nice options. I also plasti dipped emblems and lettering, nice touch. Yes, i know this section is for dislikes...but not all Rams are disappointing.

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
It’s funny how that technology never seemed to kick off or at least not making a comeback now that LED is beginning to replace incandescent.
IIRC headlight washers of some type were a requirement for a time in the USA if you had HID headlights. The reasoning (if I understood, AND remember...) was that a dirty lens would scatter the brighter-than-normal light and cause a glare. Both my Mercedes - E320 and CLS550 (WHY, oh WHY!!! did I sell that car???) had the squirters on their bi-xenon HID headlights.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Odd. I had a 2015 for 5 years. It downshifted by itself* even when NOT in tow/haul. In fact, what my observation is in regards to shifting is that t/h mostly controls UP-shifting. No real difference in downshifting in t/h vs normal. Same on both my '15 and current '20.

*By this I mean: slowing down, with or without brakes, the tranny will downshift and provide engine braking.