What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only complaint I have on my Limited is there is no way to turn off the radio. You can mute it, but that's about it. Other then that I love my truck!!
Since I use Bluetooth from my phone almost exclusively, pressing the mute button is only effective until the first noise notification on the phone, which again begins playing music. The pause button is the only way to keep the phone from begining to play again....not sure if this a phone issue or stereo specific as this is the first stereo I have had that replicates Pause with the mute button. Most stereos only turn down the volume on mute, not pause the BT source.

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
Since I use Bluetooth from my phone almost exclusively, pressing the mute button is only effective until the first noise notification on the phone, which again begins playing music. The pause button is the only way to keep the phone from begining to play again....not sure if this a phone issue or stereo specific as this is the first stereo I have had that replicates Pause with the mute button. Most stereos only turn down the volume on mute, not pause the BT source.

I'm sure it's stereo specific. I've never used bluetooth with mine, I connect my ipod with the cable. But it bugs me that I cant turn the dang thing off. I'll mute it, but when I get back to my truck and start it, it's not on mute anymore. It's a small complaint, and I put up with it.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure it's stereo specific. I've never used bluetooth with mine, I connect my ipod with the cable. But it bugs me that I cant turn the dang thing off. I'll mute it, but when I get back to my truck and start it, it's not on mute anymore. It's a small complaint, and I put up with it.
Agreed...certainly a small annoyance well worth accepting in order to have such an awesome truck.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Fuel mileage of my 6.4L and having to drive like a blue haired granny.
With only 1350 miles on it how to fix it is the Q??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Buy a 1500.......or a prius.

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
Here are a few of my dislikes.

1. MDS/ECO drone (Esp. with the Flowmaster 50 series).
2. Tailgate with no assist (Already installed one).
3. Low Beams are not what I expected.

1. Flowmaster exhaust has a heavy drone. Nothing to do with MDS.
2 No comment
3 Get HID projector headlights. One of the best mods you can do for your truck!

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI

Nothing you do will change it drastically, but these things will help.

1 Get your truck tuned for better MPG's
2 Get a CAI
3 Get a better exhaust then stock, like Magnaflow for example.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like my tow mirrors, but I have to keep them in cornholio mode.... "I eat teepee from my ********".... if you are under 25, you may need to google that....

Once vertical, they show me everything. Horizontal, they leave quite a bit to be desired.

If they are adjusted correctly, when down, there are NO blind spots.

Many people don't adjust them correctly. If you can see the side of the truck in the inner mirror, they are not adjusted correctly.

I agree I thought about the tailgate assist.....The Projectors are okay....The 2018 392 Charger has killer headlights! Since I have it almost paid for and its a 14....maybe its time to just get a Laramie Sport with a 6.4 if the 6.4 option still exist for the 1500 like it did in 14.

Pretty sure the 6.4 has NEVER been an option for a 1500.

2500 yes 1500 no.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are adjusted correctly, when down, there are NO blind spots.

Many people don't adjust them correctly. If you can see the side of the truck in the inner mirror, they are not adjusted correctly.

Pretty sure the 6.4 has NEVER been an option for a 1500.

2500 yes 1500 no.
While I can see your point, lack of a blind spot (or rather minimization thereof) is not the same as being able to see as much as desired. You also must keep in mind that people's height, seating position, and seat adjustments DO make a difference.

And no, I have to lean pretty far to see the side of my truck on either mirror.....I don't look in the mirror to see MY vehicle, rather the other guy's car who is less than 5 feet behind and in the next lane. I stop seeing the other car in my mirror as they come into view through the front window for both sides. I have the convex mirror adjusted to see quite a bit of the next 2 lanes, but it isn't as convex horizontally as I would prefer. I am considering horizontal wide-view mirrors for the inner so I can have a proper convex in both horizontal and vertical positions.

In order to help with the side views, I also put a wide rear view mirror, which gives me better peace of mind when switching lanes in the rain, with small silver cars that like to run with no headlights, even when it is illegal to, such as raining, 30 minutes before dusk, 30 minutes after dawn, fog, or any other limited visibility. I suppose most people are simply ignorant of the headlight laws that are applicable in almost every state.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
my biggest complaint is the 66RFE trans, the ratio split from 1st to 2nd is awful, IMO...2nd needs to be lower (numerically higher) like 2.10:1 or even 2.20:1

going from 3.23: 1st to 1.83:1 2nd is just to much of a drop

under WOT it doesn't shift out of 2nd til around 70 mph

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Flowmaster exhaust is a sound in its own, but when my trucks MDS is on, it has a very annoying "DRONE" sound. Even before I installed the FM exhaust, it was there, just not as noticeable. I see people talking about that dreaded "DRONE" all the time, its just magnified with the FM.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While I can see your point, lack of a blind spot (or rather minimization thereof) is not the same as being able to see as much as desired. You also must keep in mind that people's height, seating position, and seat adjustments DO make a difference.

And no, I have to lean pretty far to see the side of my truck on either mirror.....I don't look in the mirror to see MY vehicle, rather the other guy's car who is less than 5 feet behind and in the next lane. I stop seeing the other car in my mirror as they come into view through the front window for both sides. I have the convex mirror adjusted to see quite a bit of the next 2 lanes, but it isn't as convex horizontally as I would prefer. I am considering horizontal wide-view mirrors for the inner so I can have a proper convex in both horizontal and vertical positions.

In order to help with the side views, I also put a wide rear view mirror, which gives me better peace of mind when switching lanes in the rain, with small silver cars that like to run with no headlights, even when it is illegal to, such as raining, 30 minutes before dusk, 30 minutes after dawn, fog, or any other limited visibility. I suppose most people are simply ignorant of the headlight laws that are applicable in almost every state.

People's height, seating position, and seat adjustments DO make a difference, you are correct, and that is why the mirrors are so adjustable. Sorry, I just can't see what you are getting at by seeing more...I can see everything behind me and at least 1 lane over in each direction.

Most people who complain about the outside mirrors not being very good have them adjusted so far in they see their truck in 1/2 of it.

I have mine adjusted so as I lose them in the rear view mirror, they show up in the inner side mirror, and as they start to leave the inner side mirror, they show up in the convex mirror, by the time they are leaving the convex, I can see them with my peripheral vision.

The tilt in reverse lets me see the only other things I need to see. When towing, I do flip them up, as I need to be able to see the top of the camper easily, and it does let you see down the side of it as well since they do move out more.

I have to lean out till my head almost touches the glass to see my truck in the inner mirror. I do sit more upright than most.

And on the small silver or grey cars with no headlights, I 100000% hear and agree !!!!!!!

They're not ignorant, just don't care....
....just like pulling out in front of you when if they had waited 3 seconds, they'd have had 5 min to turn, instead of making you have to break to avoid hitting them
....or hogging the left lane
....or not using turn signals
....or turning right from the left lane
....and so on..........

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People's height, seating position, and seat adjustments DO make a difference, you are correct, and that is why the mirrors are so adjustable. Sorry, I just can't see what you are getting at by seeing more...I can see everything behind me and at least 1 lane over in each direction.

Most people who complain about the outside mirrors not being very good have them adjusted so far in they see their truck in 1/2 of it.

I have mine adjusted so as I lose them in the rear view mirror, they show up in the inner side mirror, and as they start to leave the inner side mirror, they show up in the convex mirror, by the time they are leaving the convex, I can see them with my peripheral vision.

The tilt in reverse lets me see the only other things I need to see. When towing, I do flip them up, as I need to be able to see the top of the camper easily, and it does let you see down the side of it as well since they do move out more.

I have to lean out till my head almost touches the glass to see my truck in the inner mirror. I do sit more upright than most.

And on the small silver or grey cars with no headlights, I 100000% hear and agree !!!!!!!

They're not ignorant, just don't care....
....just like pulling out in front of you when if they had waited 3 seconds, they'd have had 5 min to turn, instead of making you have to break to avoid hitting them
....or hogging the left lane
....or not using turn signals
....or turning right from the left lane
....and so on..........
Like I said, they show everything you NEED to see, but I like seeing a bit more. I would prefer the inner mirror be more convex.

The fact that you acknowledge the other stupid drivers, and sit upright (what, no gangster lean?) Leads me to believe you are probably significantly more attentive as a driver than most.

In order to be lazy sometimes, I like the mirrors to show more, requiring less attention to use. But I do understand and agree they are fine. Simply that they could be better. I have learned their ideal adjustment for horizontal mode and keep them there now as tow mode does make the truck nearly 10 inches wider and they look stupid without a trailer or camper.

Either way, the backup camera is not very good without street lights. The stock reverse lights just don't cut it. I put in LED reverse lights that are significantly brighter to help. Haven't had a good opportunity to try them yet.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like everything else, you pay for what you get. Get a better model Ram.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. I'm confident that the trim level has nothing to do with quality. Are you literally saying that Ram says "f#@k it" when building a Tradesman or Express, but when a Limited comes down the line they're like "hold on boys, this is a Limited...we need to step up the quality". Lol....anyway, I did get a loaded Rebel Mopar 16 that was as expensive as a Limited. Though I have less issues than my 14 Sport, I can honestly say that the Ram quality is still the ****test of all the makes I've owned.

20170529_160129.jpg

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
With door rattle I solved the issue with closed cell foam sheets. I put butyl sound deadening first but rattle remained. Closed cell foam puts pressure behind the area that rattles and stops it(one of places with most rattle, right above door handle on drivers and pass side). Closed cell foam is super light too. I have had panels off now about 4 times each door for speaker change and sound deadening, then closed cell foam, and 1 last time if I needed to add some foam in areas. Closed cell foam is self stick, light and simple fix for rattle. As you hear rattle, press on door panel in area you hear rattle stop, mark it, move around door until you find all areas, remove panel, on back side put enough foam, one or 2 layers to put pressure on panel as you put panel back on door. I only really found my 2013 outdoorsman QC had major rattle on the area above door handle switch area, just above it where the aluminum looking door detail is. Let's see what I don't like about my 2013 QC, first week I had to get used to electric steering, was odd feel at first, but fine now. OEM back up cam is kinda crappy, worse at night.

Last edited:

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
This is a pretty ignorant statement. I'm confident that the trim level has nothing to do with quality. Are you literally saying that Ram says "f#@k it" when building a Tradesman or Express, but when a Limited comes down the line they're like "hold on boys, this is a Limited...we need to step up the quality". Lol....anyway, I did get a loaded Rebel Mopar 16 that was as expensive as a Limited. Though I have less issues than my 14 Sport, I can honestly say that the Ram quality is still the ****test of all the makes I've owned.

View attachment 120826

Then I would suggest that you go back to a quality made Chevy, Ford or whatever you had before

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI

View attachment 120826

I'm still trying to figure out why you have TWO ****** quality Ram trucks (your opinion) when you could have something better?? Doesn't make sense to me.