What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
that thing is no different than the electronic switch in the stick shift

if you're talking about the clutch kill switch, i bypass that feature, i shouldnt have to hold the clutch to start my truck, and im not dumb enough to not check my truck before i start and when i park i dont leave the truck in gear, i use the parking brake :favorites13:

but in the event i had not done that bypass, its not a hard thing to do, its just a quick cut and splice on the side of the road like the parking brake thing on screen radios :favorites13:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
The 4wd dial is the worst thing ever created. I specifically looked for one without it...drove 3hrs to get it.

exactly! see dials are horrible people, lol

i prefer the 4wd lever on the floor myself, shocking i know lol

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me too. I dont get why people sya you are wasting so much space with the center console shifter. What they hell do you plan on putting in there?? Ridiculous statement.

Bro, you can't be serious. More/bigger cup holders, phone mounts, storage space, outlets, etc...the amount of things that can replace a big shifter in the center console are endless. Besides, everything's digital nowadays, why even bother trying to create the illusion of actually switching gears. Work smarter, not harder.

And for those saying a dial shifter isn't manly...if all it takes is a dial shifter for a girl to question your manhood, you had problems long before you got a dial shifter :p

---

All in all, I'm surprised how many people don't like the dial shifter hahaha, though this thread has made me consider a lot of things I hadn't before. Hopefully some good info for those who are looking to purchase (hint: get a Ram, you won't regret it).

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of vehicles even if they have a normal console shifter are still electronic and not actually connected to the transmission with a cable like older cars were. The shifter is still used just to make people feel comfortable. More and more will be going to dial and push button shifting in the future for sure.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have had push button shifters on ambulance's for a long time.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Bro, you can't be serious. More/bigger cup holders, phone mounts, storage space, outlets, etc...the amount of things that can replace a big shifter in the center console are endless. Besides, everything's digital nowadays, why even bother trying to create the illusion of actually switching gears. Work smarter, not harder.

And for those saying a dial shifter isn't manly...if all it takes is a dial shifter for a girl to question your manhood, you had problems long before you got a dial shifter :p

---

All in all, I'm surprised how many people don't like the dial shifter hahaha, though this thread has made me consider a lot of things I hadn't before. Hopefully some good info for those who are looking to purchase (hint: get a Ram, you won't regret it).

this thread has surprised me as to how many like the dial honestly, this thread is the only place i have found that actually has people in favor of it, and i dont think any of us were implying our manhood was brought into question but that the dial is probably the least manly thing on the truck :imo:

i dont think it has anything to do with working smarter and not harder, not like shifting gears is a hard thing to do, lol, i think the best way to describe it is like this, when you drive a manual trans vehicle, you are connected to the vehicle, you have to be all there to make it do what it needs to do correctly, and auto manufacturers are doing everything they can make cars do everything for themselves, and personally i think that takes the fun out of the vehicle, of course im going bigger than just the dial shifter, some people may want to go the direction of cars doing everything for us and us being able to be lazy behind the wheel, but i dont, i was raised by older car enthusiast which is where i get my older mentality on things lol, hell i still think everyone should be required to drive a stuick until they are 21 so that if forces you to pay attention to your driving instead of the car doing everything for ya :happy107:

Regardless of any ******** I may have about ram, i will say they are the greatest truck on the road, if they weren't wouldnt be the 15th ram i have bought so far :favorites13:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i dont like how the bumper is molded in the bed personally

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The HORN!!!
1- you can not tap it.
2- there is a very noticeable delay in using it. Maybe their way to make people not use it.
Agreed!!! That delay drives me nuckin' futs....

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Agreed!!! That delay drives me nuckin' futs....

Did someone say nucking futs?

Have it on all my rams, gotta get my vinyl guy to make one for my 4th gen now

7367a3451a681df14acffbbccbea0092.jpg

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
:flipthebird:
So what I get from this:

Rednecks and old people hate it, and everyone else likes it or can live with it.

Everyone that gets in my truck thinks its awesome. Of course if a girl gets and complains about something on the truck, she can get out.

:flipthebird: Sorry bud, I am neither. I am a fan though of nice things, and the shift knob is not nice. It's trash.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You had a Camaro on 38" tires - there is nothing city about that. That is about as country as it gets :roflsquared::roflsquared:

Things will always fail - but to your point it is only a matter of time (if it hasn't happened yet) that the column shifter is electronic as well. Almost all console shifters are this way now. I could also make an argument that the electronic shift is more reliable than a traditional due to no moving parts.

Make that argument to whom?????? No one with a brain that is for sure.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

---

Bud, have you seen the difference in the consoles??????? The only difference is you get 1 yes one more cubby. Thais it. I have everything else. I said I like the feel of it. And it gives me a spot for my hand.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bud, have you seen the difference in the consoles??????? The only difference is you get 1 yes one more cubby. Thais it. I have everything else. I said I like the feel of it. And it gives me a spot for my hand.

Pfftttt everyone knows your supposed to tuck your right hand into your pants while driving, not rest it on the console shifter. Duh!

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...i dont think any of us were implying our manhood was brought into question...

To be clear, I was referencing a comment that literally said their manhood was questioned because of the dial shifter.

...i dont think it has anything to do with working smarter and not harder, not like shifting gears is a hard thing to do, lol, i think the best way to describe it is like this, when you drive a manual trans vehicle, you are connected to the vehicle, you have to be all there to make it do what it needs to do correctly, and auto manufacturers are doing everything they can make cars do everything for themselves, and personally i think that takes the fun out of the vehicle, of course im going bigger than just the dial shifter, some people may want to go the direction of cars doing everything for us and us being able to be lazy behind the wheel, but i dont, i was raised by older car enthusiast which is where i get my older mentality on things lol, hell i still think everyone should be required to drive a stuick until they are 21 so that if forces you to pay attention to your driving instead of the car doing everything for ya :happy107:

I actually prefer manual transmissions. My first car was stick-shift, and I learned how to drive that before I ever touched an automatic. I love that level of interaction with my vehicle. I'm also okay with automatics. But why on earth would someone get an automatic, and then complain about the way you shift gears (which you aren't actually doing in an automatic nowadays because everything's digital)? LOL. Doesn't make sense.

---

Anyways, new gripe: why is the Ram keyfob so big? Surely, technology has advanced that we can have super-slim keyfobs now, right? Right??

Ram keyfobs run for $100+, yet are thicker than my iPhone with a case on.

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Even if all I got was one extra cup holder, that would still be better than a ginormous shifter to put your car into Drive and Reverse. If you want a shifter, go manual.

And to clarify, I'm not even bashing the automatic stick-shifter or column-shifters. Both are fine. I'm only addressing those that think a dial knob is stupid. It isn't. It's a practical, space-efficient solution to an every day task.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
To be clear, I was referencing a comment that literally said their manhood was questioned because of the dial shifter.

I actually prefer manual transmissions. My first car was stick-shift, and I learned how to drive that before I ever touched an automatic. I love that level of interaction with my vehicle. I'm also okay with automatics. But why on earth would someone get an automatic, and then complain about the way you shift gears (which you aren't actually doing in an automatic nowadays because everything's digital)? LOL. Doesn't make sense.

---

Anyways, new gripe: why is the Ram keyfob so big? Surely, technology has advanced that we can have super-slim keyfobs now, right? Right??

Ram keyfobs run for $100+, yet are thicker than my iPhone with a case on.

the 08 keyfob is actually bigger, i like having a separate key and clicker honestly lol, plus doing that on my 03 makes getting a new key very cheap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish