What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Jus because they’re going away from small vehicles what does that have to Do with efficient motors in trucks ? There is a pattern. 3.6 option 3.0 diesel. Ford has a turbo V6. Non turbo V6 and a 2.7 L turbo.

You know? That's almost the exact attitude I took when I bought my V6 gasser. With 305hp and a ~5,000-ish pound max tow, it's all I really see a need for on my little homestead. The heaviest thing I can conceive of towing is a camper, and with just the missus and I, a 20' trailer is plenty for our needs (hell, 16' would be fine). I don't intend to breed-out huge herds of Limousin bulls or suchlike, nor do I foresee dragging 300 bales of hay in one go just to feed a handful of goats.

But... its not just me. Okay, this is gonna likely get a lot of people mad, but... For my needs, and for the needs of like 98% of suburbia (let alone the urban condo-dwelling set), a smaller motor with some reserve 'oomph is *more* than plenty for their towing and hauling needs. The few who have full-sized working farms, 5th-wheels (or 30'+ long trailers), or drag around a really big (25'-30'+) blue-water-rated boat? Okay, *then* a bigger engine and higher capacity is worth having as a practical matter.

That said, before anyone jumps down my throat, I perfectly understand the love of big motors and pouring on the juice - My very first vehicle ever was a 1979 CJ-7 with a big ol' AMC 304cid V8 wedged into it, followed by even more Jeeps with a lot of stupid-expensive mods that I thoroughly loved. I rebuilt, over-bored (.060 over) hopped-up, and jammed a Ford 460 (Liama block) into a 1978 F-250 Supercab... just because I could. Then I rigged it for dual battery (to go with dual tanks), raised it as much as street-legal would allow (Utah sez 4" or else at the time), slapped big ol' meats on it... Then I did a lot of the same (and in some aspects worse) to a 1991 Jeep Wrangler. Yeah, I was young and dumb, but it felt damned good every time I stepped on the pedal, or crawled over a piece of Central and/or Southern Utah.

Both sides, I know. At the end of the day though, increasing demand for increased mpg is likely going to win, except for, as mentioned, those few who can afford it or build it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
A free "upgrade" on something that shouldn't be an issue. I was just in for a recall getting the cruise repair. Two weeks later I hear I have to go back again. I have a life outside this truck. It's kinda busy. The post is about what I don't like about these trucks. Not about what your judgement of what I don't like.
FCA agrees, it shouldn't be a problem...so they'll make it right.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

TARDIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA agrees, it shouldn't be a problem...so they'll make it right.

Sure, but I don't like recalls especially right after going to the dealership to have one taken care of. I also don't like dealership service departments. Sorry some of you have a problem with that.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure, but I don't like recalls especially right after going to the dealership to have one taken care of. I also don't like dealership service departments. Sorry some of you have a problem with that.
I'm not a fan of dealer service either but people griping about going for recalls comes off as trying to find any reason to hate on FCA or RAM.

Yes it's not the most convenient situation but it happens. I know i STILL have yet to find a vehicle with a perfect track record from day 1, so most everyone had to deal with this at one time or another.

You could always wait and see what the updated part is for the tailgate, buy one and install it yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TARDIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a fan of dealer service either but people griping about going for recalls comes off as trying to find any reason to hate on FCA or RAM.

Yes it's not the most convenient situation but it happens. I know i STILL have yet to find a vehicle with a perfect track record from day 1, so most everyone had to deal with this at one time or another.

You could always wait and see what the updated part is for the tailgate, buy one and install it yourself.

The post is "What you don't like about your RAM." I post that I don't like recalls. It's my opinion. I guess I'll just have to change my opinion for you guys.

I love recalls. I love that I was just at the dealership to have my cruise control recall taken care of. I love that I get to go back for the tailgate recall as soon as parts are available. I hope my tailgate falls down at every turn! I especially love that Dodge doesn't send letters in the mail for a recall and that a Dodge owner should look it up on his own time. Especially after my cruise wouldn't disengage and could have caused an accident. GM always sent a recall letter in the mail. Dodge decides you need an app to check. At least my tailgate hasn't fallen down on it's own yet. I can't wait to see what the next recall is!!!!!

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
The post is "What you don't like about your RAM." I post that I don't like recalls.

Boom.

Me too.

Every time I have to go to the Dealership I am NOT making money. Which means I'm losing money.

I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have to take my old truck to the shop several times a year.

I HATE recalls, they cost me time, money and strangers are snooping around my truck.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
go ahead and explain this small efficient theory, cause the way i see it is the big 3 are going away from small vehicles and focusing on SUVs, trucks, family haulin vehicles, etc. and in order to push them, those small engines arent going to do it. I can add more but like to here you comment first

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” —John F. Kennedy

To some change is scary. It’s ok man. If change, innovation and evolution were such a bad thing we’d still be driving steam engines. It’s a good thing scientist and most of society aren’t as closed minded as you are. We’d still be dying of the common cold and riding horses maybe.

Look around you and pick up a book or newspaper once in a while. There is a lot going on in the automotive industry that will surprise you. Or, you can bury your head in the sand and crank the 80’s music, hop in your trans am and rock duuuude [emoji869]

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
To be fair,

A LOT (not all) of the components on our trucks are not “made by FCA” they are outsourced and FCA assembles the trucks. So a lot of the recalls are not necessarily at the fault of FCA. But people like pointing the finger at the biggest “joe” they can. Its easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The post is "What you don't like about your RAM." I post that I don't like recalls. It's my opinion. I guess I'll just have to change my opinion for you guys.

I love recalls. I love that I was just at the dealership to have my cruise control recall taken care of. I love that I get to go back for the tailgate recall as soon as parts are available. I hope my tailgate falls down at every turn! I especially love that Dodge doesn't send letters in the mail for a recall and that a Dodge owner should look it up on his own time. Especially after my cruise wouldn't disengage and could have caused an accident. GM always sent a recall letter in the mail. Dodge decides you need an app to check. At least my tailgate hasn't fallen down on it's own yet. I can't wait to see what the next recall is!!!!!
Fair enough.

But I've received mailings for the recalls on my truck as well (technically 3 on a less than 1 year old truck).

You should be able to have any dealer make sure they have an accurate mailing address for you.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You know? That's almost the exact attitude I took when I bought my V6 gasser. With 305hp and a ~5,000-ish pound max tow, it's all I really see a need for on my little homestead. The heaviest thing I can conceive of towing is a camper, and with just the missus and I, a 20' trailer is plenty for our needs (hell, 16' would be fine). I don't intend to breed-out huge herds of Limousin bulls or suchlike, nor do I foresee dragging 300 bales of hay in one go just to feed a handful of goats.

Like most things American, we tend to over indulge rather than buy just what we need. Same thing with our trucks.

Had a Great Uncle that for as long as I can remember, ran a 40-60 head small cattle farm with nothing but the cheapest 2WD Ford Ranger as his primary farm truck. Sure it got overloaded from time to time but it made him money every time.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fair enough...no problem here.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
You guys are killin' me....Whining about free upgrades and repairs and pretending that other brands don't have recalls.
GM trucks have so many recalls that you damn near have to buy a second truck to drive while the other one is in the shop, Fords aren't much better.

Funny ****.

BooHoo.....

no need to be rude to him. He is right this thread is about what you don't like about your ram....He stated recalls. He did not start a new thread basing ram and FCA because of these recalls.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I find it amazing that a thread can be derailed and become off topic so quick.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I find it amazing that a thread can be derailed and become off topic so quick.

Ha ha ha. Guilty [emoji5]

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay,.....I'll get it back on track since I'm the one that started the thread and started the whole recall mess. ***** :gayfight:

I still hate the MDS. I would rather stop at the gas station once a week, which is what I do now anyways. I do save gas with the MDS so it works, but it just sucks for it to be so noticeable. If it were a smooth transisition, it wouldn't be bad.
The no on/off knob for the radio. Stupid idea that is. lol
The washer wiper nozzles being on the hood of the truck kind of bothers me, especially in the winter, if you're driving and it's snowing out. Snow/ice can buildup on the hood around the nozzles.
My lastest gripe is my brakes are squeaking at 13,300 miles!!! Anyone else have brake squeal so early on brake life? (less than 15k or so?)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back on track for the thread - I hate how it sounds like my engine is ticking under acceleration. Idling it sounds fine. Over 2K RPM it sounds fine (could just be the noise getting drowned out). But accelerating up to 2K RPM it does NOT sound like a 2017 with 5800 miles on it, thats for sure. Dealer says "exhaust noise/resonance".

Going to try RL 5-30 next because PUP 5-30 hasnt helped.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Allmost 19k here and brakes make no noise.
Put the truck in 8th gear manually and turn that mds crap off. ;)
Maybe the squeal will go away?? lol If not, then I'll have my buddy look into whether it's the fronts or the rears. I'll the do the complete front if it is the front and leave the rears on until it's time. I'll have him check the rears out since he'll have it on the lift to see if it's worth doing them all at once.

And yes,.......the MDS shut off is awesome. I kinda miss that about my '05 GoMango Daytona rcsb. What a killer truck that was! A beast.