What made you buy a gasser instead of a diesel? (Or Vice Versa)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That manual intervention thing was starting to get to my old knees too.......especially with the traffic around here.

It is a pain in traffic - I know... especially with this truck. Not so bad with my Challenger. I live in the sticks so I can drive miles without touching the clutch.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a gasser 1500, the ride quality is near car-like which is primarily how ours gets used. The diesel 'oomph' may get used 6-8 times a year pulling the trailer but the Hemi can do it, and sounds great while doing it.
While we plan on keeping it for a long time (doesn't everyone?), we won't put many miles per year on it, negating many of the diesel benefits.
The added noise, NVH and ride height of the diesel were the nails in its coffin for us.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That manual intervention thing was starting to get to my old knees too.......especially with the traffic around here.

My dad is the same way, after driving his work truck all dy he just wants to get in his truck and drive home
Since he works 5 miles away and there are 8 stop signs it was an easy choose for him

ljvsnyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with diesel, cause I prefer the sound of a diesel over gas and have grown up with diesel vehicles my whole life. Plus I purchased my diesel truck for less than most pay for a gas 3/4 ton.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With a gasser 1500, the ride quality is near car-like which is primarily how ours gets used. The diesel 'oomph' may get used 6-8 times a year pulling the trailer but the Hemi can do it, and sounds great while doing it.
While we plan on keeping it for a long time (doesn't everyone?), we won't put many miles per year on it, negating many of the diesel benefits.
The added noise, NVH and ride height of the diesel were the nails in its coffin for us.

Same here.....The Silverado I had, in 29 months, I put 12,000 miles on it, and probably 10k of that was towing my boat. And a diesel would be the same.

Also, here, the taxes & registration fees are easily 2x as much for a diesel due to the weight ratings.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
I got a gas v10 cause I pull our 30ft boat and haul my construction equipment for my dad smoetimes so needed pulling strength but wanted to stick with gas because diesel parts cost 3 times as much

02hairlessram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a gasser cause have no need to tow any thing that my gasser cant handle. Plus diesel isnt cheap neither is maintenance on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, here, the taxes & registration fees are easily 2x as much for a diesel due to the weight ratings.
I forgot to talk about cost. You think your diesels are expensive, you should see our $hit up here. I used the link provided by JJ to get my window sticker, and you'd F'ing CHOKE if you saw what our truck cost. Its hard to believe how much more expensive stuff is up here. Truck, gas, maintenance, parts, all of it. Stupid North :Wedgie:

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't have my Ram anymore, but soon I'll be buying another Ram with a Hemi. Can't justify the purchase of a diesel. I don't tow at all. I drive 10 miles round trip to work. 125 miles a week, if that. I'd just be putting unnecessary miles on that thing. Gas will do, for now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't have my Ram anymore, but soon I'll be buying another Ram with a Hemi. Can't justify the purchase of a diesel. I don't tow at all. I drive 10 miles round trip to work. 125 miles a week, if that. I'd just be putting unnecessary miles on that thing. Gas will do, for now.

Honest question; you must just love having a truck? I can't imagine using one as a DD?!?

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honest question; you must just love having a truck? I can't imagine using one as a DD?!?

Yes, definitely. Trucks are so much more useful. I'm selling my Lexus IS300 right now just to buy myself a truck again. I love that little car, but I find myself needing to use the bed on a truck quite often. I also don't do midsize trucks so Ram it is.

marv02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$39K 2012 Crew Cab 1500 4X4 Hemi, $63K 2012 Mega Cab 2500 4X4 Diesel I dont haul very much when I do nothing heavyer than a couple dirt bikes gas cheeper to fix and up keep.

I went with the 1500 CC the extra room of the Mega cab would been nice but for a extra $24k my kids can put up with it :)

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had 2 diesels. A 3500 Ram 2008 and a F250 Powerstroke 2004. With the price of diesel and it being my daily driver I traded off the PS F250 for a gasser to save money.
I miss driving my diesel but not the pumps.

Any towing I do now, my 11 Sport handles just fine!!

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Power Wagon.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I replaced a diesel. I didn't want to hunt for pumps while out of town, I didn't want to mess with additives, I didn't want the added cost of fuel and maintenance, I didn't want another 3/4 ton and the ride that goes with it. I no longer have a gooseneck camper, and didn't need the capability of the diesel.

The gas half ton with a Hemi is way more capable than I will ever need, is almost completely silent in the cab, rides like a Lincoln, and was considerably cheaper than an equivalent 3/4 ton diesel.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I sold a 900+ HP diesel just before I bought this Ram. That truck was a project truck and this one is too....I just wanted something different to play with. I plan to build a new diesel drag truck next spring.

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had numerous gassers and 1 duramax. Diesel is AWESOME but unneccesary for me. Used to do some construction, sometimes hauled heavy loads like pallets of shingles, once in awhile some versa lock block, rented a few small mini-ex's or skid steers but now days i dont do much of that at all, and miss my diesel but dont need it.

also main reason is this was my first purchase of a brand new vehicle and the gasser was affordable with the options i needed and diesel wasnt. so gasser it was!!

in all honesty i dont even need a pick up, just cant be without one. spoiled myself with too many over the years and just hate having a car, plus if all works well i'll be a homeowner soon, so at that point in time my pick up will be far more useful and ill be glad i own one that i can make payments on for a few more years, have a warranty til its paid off then be able to rely on it solely on the fact that its never had an ass other than mine in the driver seat and i maintained it better than most could imagine doing so.

repairs and fuel costs on deisels don't outweigh the wow factor of owning one for me anymore.

Last edited: