What Miles for New Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is anyone having to do brakes on their 2500/3500 Rams? I'm at 66K and everything seems great. I just had my tires rotated and forgot to ask them to measure. I sold my old Dmax @ 140K miles and the fronts were just finally getting close - rear had about 50%. That was just crazy long life and am hoping for the same with this HD truck.

Check out on the "how many miles on your 6.4" thread. I think the user is SMI... he put on over 228k before he replaced his pads! And he tows heavy ALL the time.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked my brakes after the winter. Mines a ‘14, 2 yrs in a row with multiple frozen pins. Last spring under warranty I had all the boots & 2 calipers replaced because of torn boots. They were torn again when I put the 35”s on in October.

I’m guessing I’m not the only one with the torn boot issues.

So this is a known issue? The last few weeks I have been noticing a squeaking coming from my right front and a noticeable difference in rotor temperature after a drive. I assume that is my problem as well but I haven't disassembled yet. I have a 14 as well.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m not sure if it’s a known issue, but I fully plan to have to bust the slide free when I pull the wheels off next month to check everything.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
I have 14,500 on mine. Brakes always squeak in the morning, but go away after a good stop at a light or stop sign, which is not an abnormal concern.

Rotor high temp on one caliper is a pretty clear indication that something should be checked, front side and back side pads/slide pins.

Lack/loss of power or drastic loss of speed when coasting could be telling you there's a concern also.

I'm happy to report with 14,500, pads are still new lol. (As if I expected anything less)

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
How many miles you get out of your brakes depends on many factors, like how much city and highway driving you do, which kind of determines how often you apply your brakes. If you tow a lot, etc. could affect wear too.
Exactly!
Here out west you can scorch a new set of ceramic pads and slotted rotors on mountain 6-7 % grades at 75 mph speeds, when its 120 outside, and your boat brakes are not up to the job. I know. I usually get at least 70-80 K on factory pads.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've never had pads last that long on my half tons, but haven't had my 2500 but 55k miles or so and haven't checked them yet. On my 1500 I'd have to change them every...75k or so? And usually at that point it was too late and started messing up the rotors.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've never had pads last that long on my half tons, but haven't had my 2500 but 55k miles or so and haven't checked them yet. On my 1500 I'd have to change them every...75k or so? And usually at that point it was too late and started messing up the rotors.

This was kind of my motivation for asking the question. All my 1/2 tons burned through brakes every 30-40K or so. My first HD was an 06 Chevy 2500 and the brakes lasted the entire time I had the truck - sold it with around 150K miles. I wasn't sure if it was a Chevy thing or an HD truck thing. I'm glad it turned out to be an HD truck thing. I also remember the brakes on my old 99 F150 would overheat and warp if I towed anything more than a popup trailer.

Pretty amazing how strong these trucks are built. As a little comparison, one of my company vehicles is a Kia Soul and I just had to have the front brakes done at 60K. The rotors on that thing are about the size of an appetizer plate :) Driving that thing to the dealer for service once a year is enough for me. After years of driving a truck it always scares the hell out of me driving a little car. I feel like my ass is on the pavement and the doors are made of tinfoil :)