What the heck??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
One of the universals in my front drive shaft recently failed, taking the CV post with it. No biggie, it happens. I pulled the driveshaft and took it to a shop for a total rebuild. Here's where things get weird...

With the front driveshaft in place, I was getting a good solid average upper 13's mpg... With the driveshaft out, my mileage has dropped to low 12's... Yes, you read that right... With LESS rotating mass, my mileage has gone down. I have reset the MPG display, it goes right back into the low 12's...

Anybody have an idea of why my mileage would go down instead of up? This one has me scratching my head! LOL

2012 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, auto trans, ST package

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure you will find out when it is back together.

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
For anyone still following this, I re-installed the front driveshaft last Saturday... Cleared the MPG counter... After a week of driving with the driveshaft back in, my gas mileage went back -UP- to 13.7 and is holding there...

OK, someone want to explain THAT to me??!! LOL

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah, I've got two Engineering degrees and it has me totally baffled... It makes absolutely no logical sense! Same driving style and area before and after, but totally reversed expectations of MPG... Weird... LOL