what to do @14Ok miles tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i bought my 99 ram 5.2L 4x4 with 127k miles on it a year and a half ago. as soon as i got it i changed the plugs, wires, cap rotor, and all the fluids plus put in a new battery. so far the engine is running well with the only hiccup being the water pump going out a few weeks ago so i replaced it and the belt. but i just recently hit 140k on the odometer and am thinking what i should look at changing next week during my next major tune up.
i dont have the maintenance book that tells me what needs done when, so what do you all recommend? im planning on new wires, plugs, cap and rotor and maybe a new coil (the stock one looks like less then reliable) when does the timing chain need replaced?

oh and my transmission cooling lines that go to the radiator are starting to leak how hard are those to replace? i guess i should finally install my B&M trans cooler now. if i do, do i still need to run the lines too the radiator or can i bypass that completely and just use the B&M?

thanks again for all the help.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Service and adjust the transmission bands. Do it, do it, do it. Don't wait another day.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Fluid filter and band adjustment. Don't worry about wires cap and rotor since you already did em unless you wanna upgrade em, in that case get msd superconductors 8.5mm wires. If you wanna upgrade the coil, msd 8228.

Your cooler you can run the lines directly to and yout can bypass the radiator cooler, just plug the holes for good measure.

Timing chain is usually kinda stretched out by 100k so good to do it. Double roller chain, mopar cloyes or i think Nightmare used a comp cams chain.

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
+1 on that timing chain suggestion. Too bad you already changed the water pump.

My stock timing chain had some pretty good slack in it at 75K, believe it or not. I put in the mopar performance double roller and that thing is beefy. I also highly recommend replacing the thrust plate with the mopar performance chain tensioner.

OP
OP
hades300zdrivesaram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok so im going to order the following:
msd super conductor wires 8.5mm
msd 8228 coil or the ACCEL 140021 Mopar Remote Super Coil (looks like they both need the harness adaptor)
and a timing set. ummm is there a gear driven option other then the chain drive? if not ill get the mopar set that was sugested.

i replaced the trans fluid and filter less then 10k miles ago when i got the truck. and it looks like it had work done to it. im only guessing cause why else would it be some what freshly painted silver? ill have to look up how to adjust the bands. im hoping there is a thread some where here or if im really lucky a you tube video.

any thing else im missing? or special tools ill need to do the timing chain?

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Toughest part for the timing chain will be removing the fan clutch, which you already know how to do from the water pump, and removing the harmonic balancer. You WILL need the tool from O'reillys to remove it, a lot of people will do some redneck methods to pull it off which definitely can't be good for the crankshaft.

Once that's off it's a piece of cake. I also suggest getting the fel pro timing cover set.

P5249267 Mopar Double Roller Timing Set
P5007709 Mopar Timing Chain Tensioner

I'm not aware of any gear sets for these engines. However I am sure this timing set will far outlast the remaining life of your engine so it shouldn't wear out.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Toughest part for the timing chain will be removing the fan clutch, which you already know how to do from the water pump, and removing the harmonic balancer. You WILL need the tool from O'reillys to remove it, a lot of people will do some redneck methods to pull it off which definitely can't be good for the crankshaft.

Once that's off it's a piece of cake. I also suggest getting the fel pro timing cover set.

P5249267 Mopar Double Roller Timing Set
P5007709 Mopar Timing Chain Tensioner

I'm not aware of any gear sets for these engines. However I am sure this timing set will far outlast the remaining life of your engine so it shouldn't wear out.

None out there for the maggy motor, yes for the La. Great suggestion on what parts to use! Keep it Mopar!!!!

OP
OP
hades300zdrivesaram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Service and adjust the transmission bands. Do it, do it, do it. Don't wait another day.

what torque wrench do i use to torque the square head bolt? my lil 3/8s drive wont fit with out a swivel and extension. and when it comes to inch pounds im scared ill break something.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok so im going to order the following:
msd super conductor wires 8.5mm
msd 8228 coil or the ACCEL 140021 Mopar Remote Super Coil (looks like they both need the harness adaptor)
and a timing set. ummm is there a gear driven option other then the chain drive? if not ill get the mopar set that was sugested.

i replaced the trans fluid and filter less then 10k miles ago when i got the truck. and it looks like it had work done to it. im only guessing cause why else would it be some what freshly painted silver? ill have to look up how to adjust the bands. im hoping there is a thread some where here or if im really lucky a you tube video.

any thing else im missing? or special tools ill need to do the timing chain?
Here's a band adjustment writeup
94+ Ram AT band adjustment

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
I also used a comp cams set.
COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Set

it was that and Mopar perf. tensioner.

Not sure if mentioned, but I'd say change out diff fluid.
Do you guys highly recommend doing a timing chain? My 5.2 has 180k on it and I have a lot of money into the truck because previous owner didn't keep up. Basically I did the entire steering system already 4 shocks etc basically high mileage maintenance items.

The water pump finally took a **** so I'm doing that on Thursday

Would I notice anything power wise with new chain?
Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk