what to look for on a 17 Ram crew 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Curious why the switch to RAM after all this time but welcome to the forum! Ask what they will charge to add a TBC but you can find them for around $150 online and they are pretty easy to install I just put one in my Express last week that has the two package as well.

Well, the dealer I have been with for 7 years now has wronged me 2 in the last year. First was a lease that we paid to get out of due to a stolen key along with my daughters identification. Kept telling us for 10 weeks that we owed nothing. GM Financial slapped us with over $400 and placed a nasty on the kids and wifes credit report. Then there was the bumper to bumper GM Platinum warranty that I paid $3400 for and turned down the replacement of the cracked dash in my 2013 Avalanche LTZ. The dealership never went to bat for us on that. After we have bought countless GM products for the last 35 years and GM treats us like this, well I am gone.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks nice but chances are you can get a new "classic" for close to the that price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looks nice but chances are you can get a new "classic" for close to the that price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.
It will need tires before winter and I have to install a trailer brake controller.
Time to Negotiate; Thinking of offering 25K. No trade, already pre approved... will be easy peasy. If not, there is an 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star that's next in line.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is if you buy a new one you'll get the full warranty whereas with this one all that's probably left is two years/33K miles of powertrain. Looks pretty damn good otherwise!

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Another thing to consider is if you buy a new one you'll get the full warranty whereas with this one all that's probably left is two years/33K miles of powertrain. Looks pretty damn good otherwise!

Na, don't want a new truck. I set my budget and will look for the best I can afford.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I there a way to visualize which trans is in the truck? There has to be a way to ID it.

I'm sure there's markings on the transmission to verify but the version behind the Hemi is an 8HP70. The difference between the two is the torque rating. The 8HP70 is rated for 700 nm (517 ft/lbs) the 845RE is rated for 450 nm (332 ft/lbs).
Sounds like the dealer description is woefully inaccurate. Goto this website: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
You can look up how the vehicle left the factory, I attached the one for the truck. I see your a fellow Michigander, I'm just north of Detroit and there is quite a few other members from the state on this forum.

As for adding the trailer brake controller, check with Benny @ AllMoparParts.com (forum vendor) the correct ITBM kit, you can add it yourself you'll need to use AlfaOBD to enable it or just have the dealer flash it

Attachments

• 1C6RR7LT4HS783388.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
It states Trailer Package but there is no brake controller. WTH? Has 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio.
I need 6500 tow capacity.

I believe you have a 7500 lb towing capacity (the 3.21 ratio is the limit here.) Also, the trailer wiring is already in place, even for the trailer brake controller that you can buy (either new or used) and install in the blank spot on the dash where one normally lives. The wiring can also adapt to 3rd-party controllers with the right harness adapter, IIRC.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Oh and I think the lowest towing number you can find on these trucks is 8000. You’re better off with the 392 rear axle of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends - down here in the 6-banger world, a 3.21 axle ratio on the 2017s means we're stuck with a 4400lb tow limit. I'm perfectly okay with that, since my max payload is still 1700 lbs regardless.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
The kit I found is $450 unless I want to pay to get a dealer to flash the computer.

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...ntegrated-electronic-trailer-brake-controller

You can get one on EBAY for $160 www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2019-RAM-1500-DS-2500-3500-Integrated-Trailer-Brake-Controller-MOPAR-OEM/292915433756?f and then get Alpha OBD ($50) and the OBD link tool $80 www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B006NZTZLQ/r and then flash it yourself that is what I did. Alpha is worth it weight in gold IMHO in what i saves you in dealer flash fees and dealer labor to install stuff. You're looking at a nice 17 there so you may not need it for many more things but for my Express I am sure it has saved me well over $1,000 in flash and labor fees since I installed all the mods myself.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
You can get one on EBAY for $160 www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2019-RAM-1500-DS-2500-3500-Integrated-Trailer-Brake-Controller-MOPAR-OEM/292915433756?f and then get Alpha OBD ($50) and the OBD link tool $80 www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B006NZTZLQ/r and then flash it yourself that is what I did. Alpha is worth it weight in gold IMHO in what i saves you in dealer flash fees and dealer labor to install stuff. You're looking at a nice 17 there so you may not need it for many more things but for my Express I am sure it has saved me well over $1,000 in flash and labor fees since I installed all the mods myself.

The dealer turned down my offer of 25K so I am on to another 17, but it has higher mileage. Also see an 18 and 19 in Monroe but its like pulling teeth to get anyone to respond or get gear ratio information. It's almost 8:30 and the salesman still hasn't called me back.
Thanks for the link to the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller package on eBay. I will certainly take a look but I do have a BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool already. It gives a wealth of info, but I didn't think I could flash the trailer brake controller to the truck with it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I do have a BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool already.
If you use this with an Android phone/tablet, you just need to buy the AlfaOBD app. Aside from making changes on the BCM, AlfaOBD can also perform may diagnostic test and read/reset a bunch more codes than just the typical Powertrain codes
It's well worth the $$ even if you had to buy a cheap Android tablet to use it

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good info so far. My 13 Avalanche had issues with the AFM system and lifter issues also, but when I sold it she was still running great. I had a Range plugged into the port for the 2 years plus that I owned it. Sold it because I had a bumper to bumper warranty on it and they refused to fix or replace the cracked dash. I felt betrayed by GM, so after all these years I am looking elsewhere.
Not happy to hear about manifold bolts but don't think I would do that repair myself. May have to look into possible cost on that before I make an offer.
Will I need a mirror or something else to check them? How else would I check for broken bolts besides listening?
You could go with ARP stainless exhaust manifold bolts to cure the issue, or put a set of shorty headers on it.

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest being extremely patient right now and make sure to get exactly what you want. Interest rates will continue to be very low in my opinion, and I think the big 3 are going to have to run some huge year end promotions to move vehicles once we get through this. I genuinely think there are going to be incredible deals this summer on new vehicles, which does two things for you: (1) further lowers the used car market prices and (2) you may be able to get into a new Ram for not much more than a used one depending on financing terms.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I would suggest being extremely patient right now and make sure to get exactly what you want. Interest rates will continue to be very low in my opinion, and I think the big 3 are going to have to run some huge year end promotions to move vehicles once we get through this. I genuinely think there are going to be incredible deals this summer on new vehicles, which does two things for you: (1) further lowers the used car market prices and (2) you may be able to get into a new Ram for not much more than a used one depending on financing terms.

You may be right: I received an email from a local Ram dealer giving me a link to a few 2020 Ram trucks starting at around $34 K. They may have been stripped down but that is for new 2020 trucks. With this stay at home order in Michigan and our camping season on hold I do not need be in a rush to purchase a truck so I can watch it sit in the garage.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You may be right: I received an email from a local Ram dealer giving me a link to a few 2020 Ram trucks starting at around $34 K. They may have been stripped down but that is for new 2020 trucks. With this stay at home order in Michigan and our camping season on hold I do not need be in a rush to purchase a truck so I can watch it sit in the garage.

Exactly. I bought a new 2018 holdover last September and I’ve only got 5400 miles on it so far. I really hate that I can’t use it to pull my TT and still having to make payments and insurance. I’ve just about rubbed all of the paint off of it. Got 2300 miles on the last oil change and a month to go for the next one.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Exactly. I bought a new 2018 holdover last September and I’ve only got 5400 miles on it so far. I really hate that I can’t use it to pull my TT and still having to make payments and insurance. I’ve just about rubbed all of the paint off of it. Got 2300 miles on the last oil change and a month to go for the next one.

Well I ended up bringing home a 2019 Big Horn Classic with a Hemi. I done become a Ram man, so now I will need to support this forum because this truck is all new to me.aSk2a5r.jpg

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I will need to find a link

I started looking into this, the Alpha OBD and the OBD Link MX Bluetooth OBD-II but to be honest this is all gibberish to me. I will need to find more info before I make a move on this. If you have any links to threads, please pass them on. This is certainly a lower cost to go but way over my head in terms of knowledge right now.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I will need to find a link

I started looking into this, the Alpha OBD and the OBD Link MX Bluetooth OBD-II but to be honest this is all gibberish to me. I will need to find more info before I make a move on this. If you have any links to threads, please pass them on. This is certainly a lower cost to go but way over my head in terms of knowledge right now.

It's actually much easier than it sounds. You should read the Alpha ODB thread to learn more but really you use and android device install the software plug in the OBD tool and change the settings you need. That is the hardest part really finding the right settings to changes but the Alpha thread has them all documented. If you only one to add one thing going this route may not be worth it but if you want a add a number of things over time then it's worth educating yourself on how to do it. When I bought my Ram at the end of 2017 I knew nothing about them at all never even owned before but thanks to this forum I am now an expert lol! Good luck!