Whats biggest thing you've towed with your 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talk2cpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Bighorn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7, RamBox
25' weighing 5200 lbs when traveling.

21586263804_b17a60e96f_z.jpg
[/url]DSC03671 by TH Penuel, on Flickr[/IMG]
Parked visiting friends in the middle of Montana.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I rarely tow anymore, but when I first got my truck and it was bone stock besides tossing the ridiculous full length tube steps. I used to work with my uncle and his half ass lawn care deal he owned and when I wasn't using his 04 Powerjoke I would use mine to tow a 3K+ pipe top trailer outfitted and loaded down with about 5K worth of equipment and much to my surprise - I think it pulled better in an all around fashion.

Something tells me it didn't end well with you and your uncle lol.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Something tells me it didn't end well with you and your uncle lol.

You'd be correct... I love my uncle and I spent every summer that I was out of school with him. He was pretty much my "father figure" since my parents were divorced and my dad worked all the time to feed his narcissism. He has been an alcoholic since his teens after a traumatic experience with his friends and he was sober for 20 years, but he started hanging out with a friend from work that liked to drink and he had a beer one night and I begged him not to cave in, but he knew better than me and drank anyway. Long story short - he started drinking again, selling stuff off, get sober and start something good then start drinking again and **** it all away. I wasn't getting paid for the work I was doing and when he would go to a job with me would work circles around him because it was 90+ and I wanted to get done and he liked to take breaks. I moved back home and he jumped on the crazy train and it's been five years since I've seen him.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You'd be correct... I love my uncle and I spent every summer that I was out of school with him. He was pretty much my "father figure" since my parents were divorced and my dad worked all the time to feed his narcissism. He has been an alcoholic since his teens after a traumatic experience with his friends and he was sober for 20 years, but he started hanging out with a friend from work that liked to drink and he had a beer one night and I begged him not to cave in, but he knew better than me and drank anyway. Long story short - he started drinking again, selling stuff off, get sober and start something good then start drinking again and **** it all away. I wasn't getting paid for the work I was doing and when he would go to a job with me would work circles around him because it was 90+ and I wanted to get done and he liked to take breaks. I moved back home and he jumped on the crazy train and it's been five years since I've seen him.
I'm sorry to hear that, that really sucks man.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I'm sorry to hear that, that really sucks man.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It does suck, but the whole family has tried to help him, but he doesn't want to stop. He and I were closer than him and his daughter (my cousin) and his drinking drove a literal wedge between us. My mom had been talking to him here recently and said that she heard that he was going to rehab for a year to get cleaned up... I told her that I'll believe it when I see it.

Alcohol is a life destroyer if you can't control it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Alcohol is a life destroyer if you can't control it.

It is that demon that keeps tapping on the window. Now 11 years "pseudo-sober" here (meaning I can now go out and have one or two light drinks once in a while without going full garage-sale) and counting, but that son-of-a-***** keeps tapping every once in a while. It's a tough fight man. It killed the old man. Rotted his esophagus right out and he bled to death into his stomach and lungs. Not a good way to meet your maker.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
It is that demon that keeps tapping on the window. Now 11 years "pseudo-sober" here (meaning I can now go out and have one or two light drinks once in a while without going full garage-sale) and counting, but that son-of-a-***** keeps tapping every once in a while. It's a tough fight man. It killed the old man. Rotted his esophagus right out and he bled to death into his stomach and lungs. Not a good way to meet your maker.
Sorry about your old man and glad you are able to control it. Garage sale is right... my uncle sold the timber off the land and would buy all kinds of stuff and had no idea what he was spending.

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My deck over trailer weighs 4000 lbs and my skid weighs 7000 lbs with bucket and full tank of diesel. Throw on a other couple attachments and thats 12k easy on the regular. Truck does great even though the ass sags if i dont load just right.

alexmckinney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I tow my 30' travel trailer a few times a year. At least once a year on a 3000 mile summer vacation. Pulls great. Trailer is about 8000 lbs loaded down. My truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 CC Laramie.
9ee33f5a286a9bdf137ba285673d7d4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12ramexp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5f4e5b3d10169f2550994b60ebeb9ec8.jpg
ca4434c68cbb4fafc6d6b29ce477eaf6.jpg
Rented this camper 4 times this past summer. 30 foot. Pulls great, brake controller a must. Air ride helps a lot to.. Sits level after air ride compensates for load.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Wife and I are looking at travel trailers and the only ones she thinks can accommodate us, 2 kids and 2 dogs are a bunkhouse unit with the bunkhouse having a slide. That puts us into 30' + territory and every time I look at one of them I cant help but think "damn, that's a lot of trailer."

Thanks for the pics of the longer trailers... Doesn't look that bad.

12ramexp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Wife and I are looking at travel trailers and the only ones she thinks can accommodate us, 2 kids and 2 dogs are a bunkhouse unit with the bunkhouse having a slide. That puts us into 30' + territory and every time I look at one of them I cant help but think "damn, that's a lot of trailer."

Thanks for the pics of the longer trailers... Doesn't look that bad.

I would suggest renting one before you buy. There may be a place close by to you. We found that it was much more cost effective to rent 4 times per summer.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Wife and I aren't "sleep in someone elses bed" kind of people. Thats why we are looking at an RV versus hotels along with the pet situation.

We did contemplate the notion of renting and even buying used... Its the sleeping in a bed others have slept in that doesn't sit well with us.

12ramexp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for the 1/2 ton with the hemi pulling a trailer of that length there is no issue. Just be sure you have, utilize or purchase the trailer brake system. It's much safer. I have the 3.92 gears in my truck so it's built for hauling a bit more then let's say a 3.21. And by a bit I think it's substantially more.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just for the heck of it, I was wondering what the biggest/heaviest things you've towed with your Ram 1500?

My Ego.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Wife and I aren't "sleep in someone elses bed" kind of people. Thats why we are looking at an RV versus hotels along with the pet situation.

We did contemplate the notion of renting and even buying used... Its the sleeping in a bed others have slept in that doesn't sit well with us.

This is one of the main reasons for buying our travel trailer. We have 3 dogs so it's nice to not have to find pet friendly hotels and pay more. Looking at your truck, assuming its a 2500 with 6.4, you'll be fine getting a 30'+ trailer with bunkhouse slide. On the 1500 side, I feel like anything bigger then 30'+ is dependent on hitch setup and weight.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is one of the main reasons for buying our travel trailer. We have 3 dogs so it's nice to not have to find pet friendly hotels and pay more. Looking at your truck, assuming its a 2500 with 6.4, you'll be fine getting a 30'+ trailer with bunkhouse slide. On the 1500 side, I feel like anything bigger then 30'+ is dependent on hitch setup and weight.

I know the truck can handle the length....

Its just a lot of trailer, IMO.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't know if I posted this one already or not but I picked up a 30' '04 Outback in April of last year. 4 bunks in the front, Queen slide in the rear. Will sleep 10 easily. Floating just under 7k by the time she's all loaded up.

11393617_862614780453674_3559966958345020791_o.jpg

Last edited:

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you stop at any state or federal campgrounds?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
90% of the sites we use are state. This one was Little Sand Point (Piseco Lake, NY).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk