What's the best supercharger for 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Magneson does but it isn't as efficient as a procharger. You can make way more power on our platform with a procharger.

Unless you want very down low power which the roots style will give you. It's a trade off though. You will probably toast your tranny faster with a roots style where with a procharger You can make it last

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Actually, they are more Efficient than a procharger. I have a TVS1900 Magnuson, at 7psi, with just a catback, and we made 511RWHP and 486 ft/lbs.
The torque curve is damn near linear as well.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Both the Edelbrock and the Magnuson use a roots style blower, not a twin screw. More specifically, they use the 2.3L TVS, which is better than the normal roots blowers, but not quite as good as a twin screw. Pretty sure both kits have MASSIVE IAT issues.

Personally, I'd love to get a whipple, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but I haven't found the time to dedicate to figuring it all out yet.

Define massive IAT issues?
After 16 passes at the track with my Magnuson TVS1900, IAT was around 120°.
Ambient outside temp was 90° at Famoso Raceway for the last Red List Truck Wars.

As far as I can tell, no one else is breaking 500 RWHP with the Edelbrock TVS2300, Whipple 2.9, or Procharger P1SC with the stock out of the box kit?
I could be wrong though.

Truck is a 2014 R/T, with the Magnuson TV1900 (read little blower), MBRP Cat back and a K&N Intake. The intake was installed after the 511 RWHP Dyno run.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I dont have first hand knowledge of the centrifugal chargers but i do of the roots style. My last truck was a 2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado and it came from gibbs performance with a magnuson gen v (pre TVS) roots charger.

All i ever added was a volant CAI with scoop and changed pulleys. It had monster torque down bottom. Its been several years but if my memory serves It dynoed at 430 ish but i do remember it was right around 500 ftlb tq.

JGP only modified 2400 units. Some were single cab, some extended and some were tahoes. 2400 over a span of 3 years so many of you have probably never heard of them. Mine was a 2005 extended cab.

Due to the reliability of that charger I am looking for another roots. I have a 4x4 sport now and do not need top end performance. I want the bottom end tq to get my 37s up to speed better and for any off roading or trail riding that i may decide to do.

I put 186k on that truck with no problems except tranny any that was after 135k . I bought an 8500 lb boat and destroyed 2 trannys towing it within 2 years so i sold the boat and never had another problem with it.

do to tq and reliability and driveability i will buy another roots style.

Joe Gibbs' 2004 Chevy Silverado - Super Chevy Magazine

Call Magnuson, you need part #
01-23-61-459-BL, S/C SYS 2300 2014-2015 HEMI TRUCK, V3, BLACK
50 State Legal.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Actually, they are more Efficient than a procharger. I have a TVS1900 Magnuson, at 7psi, with just a catback, and we made 511RWHP and 486 ft/lbs.

im guessing you have an 8 speed? just curios

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Why did they opt for the Hellcat to roll forward with the twinscrew setup as opposed to proven centrifugal setups with the Hemi and A8sp tranny?

No such thing as a Centrifugal Supercharger Manufacturer that is approved under TS16494 certification for the OEM auto makers.

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Magnuson kits come with the TVS2300 for our trucks. I assume you could opt for the TVS1900. After researching it looks like the TVS1900 would work better on a 5.7 stock motor. TVS2300 would work better on bigger cubic inch / stroker motors with ported heads. I sent Magnuson an email about the TVS1900 , I'll see what they say.

springer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 express rcsb
Engine
pentastar 3.6 v6

Not to discount any other type/size but I was thinking small displacement modified roots types were a dying breed until your post about a 1.9L jogged my memory about latest z06 LT4.

"A new R1740 TVS 1.7L supercharger spins at up to 20,150 rpm – 5,000 rpm more than the supercharger on the previous LS9 engine."

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Magnuson kits come with the TVS2300 for our trucks. I assume you could opt for the TVS1900. After researching it looks like the TVS1900 would work better on a 5.7 stock motor. TVS2300 would work better on bigger cubic inch / stroker motors with ported heads. I sent Magnuson an email about the TVS1900 , I'll see what they say.

Magnuson said no 1900 , 2300 only.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Define massive IAT issues?
After 16 passes at the track with my Magnuson TVS1900, IAT was around 120°.
Ambient outside temp was 90° at Famoso Raceway for the last Red List Truck Wars.

As far as I can tell, no one else is breaking 500 RWHP with the Edelbrock TVS2300, Whipple 2.9, or Procharger P1SC with the stock out of the box kit?
I could be wrong though.

Truck is a 2014 R/T, with the Magnuson TV1900 (read little blower), MBRP Cat back and a K&N Intake. The intake was installed after the 511 RWHP Dyno run.

Exactly

A TVS blower is more than enough for our hemi's to handle.
That's some good power. I think I subscribed to your thread on the RamZ forum. lol

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am limited to 7psi on the TVS1900 due to the truck Dampener, and the Drive Cover only having clearance to a 2.8" supercharger pulley.

With the stock hypereutectic pistons, Anything over 8psi is asking for issues anyway.
With the TVS2300, end users have far more options down the line to up the boost, with supporting engine and fuel modifications.

By swapping out the cam, going with a set of ported heads, and a full length set of headers, the TVS1900 will be working overtime. These Hemi heads flow much more than any GM LS head, and I really should have started with the TVS2300, but all in the name of testing...

Hemi_1340R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm trying to follow all this so don't hate ! So is a supercharger a better option vs twin turbo mine would be a daily driver just want to smoke ecoboost! Is one more reliable than the other ?

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I'm trying to follow all this so don't hate ! So is a supercharger a better option vs twin turbo mine would be a daily driver just want to smoke ecoboost! Is one more reliable than the other ?

Nobody makes turbo kits for our trucks. I'm sure you could get one custom done if you have unlimited funds. I had a turbo kit on my Silverado , loved it. You can contact on3performance , link below. Maybe they can create something for you.

On3Performance

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Nobody makes turbo kits for our trucks. I'm sure you could get one custom done if you have unlimited funds. I had a turbo kit on my Silverado , loved it. You can contact on3performance , link below. Maybe they can create something for you.

On3Performance

I had twin turbo setup on my 2008 Escalade, two Garrett's GTX35. I can honestly say, that there were no oem parts at all in that engine build on LSx block, as well as a tranny was completely build by PATC. Such kind of setups, require a swap of almost everything in your engine, pistons, compression ratio, rods. ALso you need to but a new valves, springs, timing sets etc...
Also you need to service this setup much more often then a regular truck.
So I think a centrifugal supercharger should meet your requirements and ideas. Of course if you are not thinking about lift kit and big wheels :naughty:

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Figure right now, you can get a Supercharger for your truck, with a 3 year 36,00 mile warranty standard, or a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty option.

Magnuson TVS2300 Kit that will make 6psi out of the box, approx 500 rwhp, and be 50 state emissions legal, for around $7500 installed.

Centrifugals are great for racing, and top end HP. You have to spin them hard to make power. In my opinion, the roots and screw superchargers are better suited to trucks, as most consumers still want to tow and have decent driveabiity. The under the curve torque generated by the Eaton units is amazing.

You could do a custom, one off twin turbo system, for around $9 to $10K installed. You will be engineering it as you go, and the supporting modifications are going to add up fast. Of course, if budget and reliability isn't the issue, I would go single huge turbo, and use a Eaton TVS1320 unit to spool the turbo.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
His signature says 470hp @ 5000' elevation.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
His signature says 470hp @ 5000' elevation.

Correct, had it dynoed last week; making about 470HP at the wheels and I live up at 5000ft. It would probably be about 500RWHP at sea level and the only other mod I've had done is the exhaust. Super fun truck now :happy107: