When to replace rear shocks ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have 2015 Ram 1500 with 70,000 miles on it. Had an inspection done at Mavis Tire ( nationwide Tire /muffler / brake etc shop ). They of course called and mentioned to have a couple things done. One was brake fluid service and to replace rear shocks.

brake fluid I can do myself but shocks and such are something I’ve never done.

When is a good time to replace and what’s a fair price?

Truck is used lightly with towing small trailers ( 6x12 enclosed single axel motorcycle trailer ) and occasional 200-300 lbs loads in the bed of the truck each month over it’s life.

thanks !!

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You replace your shocks when they need replaced, or when you wanna change how it rides ... Pro Comp Pro Runners are a decent shock for a good price at 4WP.com ... You can pay less, and you can pay waaaay more ... Just depends n what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Visually check the rear shocks for any leakage, if they've got oil on them they probably need to be replaced. If they pass that inspection bounce the back of your truck (knee on the bumper.. ) with some pretty good force and see if it just returns to level right away or if it carries over the bounce past level. If it keeps going a little the shocks are worn, if it keeps going a couple times they're toast.

Replacing rear shocks is relatively easy if you can do work like oil changes. The top bolt is a pain in the butt if you don't have the right tool - either a 21mm crowsfoot wrench or this thing https://www.thurenfabrication.com/09-18-1500-shock-nut-set.html

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Visually check the rear shocks for any leakage, if they've got oil on them they probably need to be replaced. If they pass that inspection bounce the back of your truck (knee on the bumper.. ) with some pretty good force and see if it just returns to level right away or if it carries over the bounce past level. If it keeps going a little the shocks are worn, if it keeps going a couple times they're toast.

Replacing rear shocks is relatively easy if you can do work like oil changes. The top bolt is a pain in the butt if you don't have the right tool - either a 21mm crowsfoot wrench or this thing https://www.thurenfabrication.com/09-18-1500-shock-nut-set.html

Thanks, this is exactly the reply I was looking for. Will check conditions when get the truck back. Will bounce and look for leaks. Looks like a pretty straight forward and simple job if I do indeed need to replace them.

Thank you !

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've got a similar 2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn with about 105,000 miles, with lots of boat towing mixed in....roughly 40-50k miles. My shocks are still in great shape. I would go to the shop and have them show you why it needs to be fixed. Do a little more research on how to assess shocks. My bet is that they are trying to make their budget for the month of July.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced my rear shocks couple weeks ago at 58K. not that thy were bouncing, I was looking for better response at the rear axle. i went with Monroe Reflex Can't say it was a night/day difference, I do think the Monroe's react quicker than stock on the crappy frost heaved, pot holes roads around here.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
All depends on what you do with the truck. I replaced mine at about 57,000 and the factory original rears were completely shot, as in you could extend and compress them with one hand (off the truck).

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I wish I'd know about those when I did mine. Not for the so called wrench ( I used a service wrench) but for the new nuts with the welded tabs so it would be easier next time.

-K

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha a few things I'd have done differently on my Ram if certain parts had even existed when I did the work.. but in the long run it turned out pretty nice so I guess nothing lost. Yeah if/when I ever replace my rear shocks I'm 100% in on a set of those Thuren ones, assuming they're still available. ALMOST worth buying them now just to make sure I have them in case the company goes away.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they're indeed leaking already then that's the quickest way to tell.. Asides from that it really comes down to your own preferences and needs. I like to replace them when they go past 50k miles even if they're not leaking. Can you keep keep them them longer ? Sure you can. If your suspension feels ok then don't bother. Sometimes You may not even notice if their dampening is fading though you should feel if they have faded in full. Sometimes you get used to how she feels and ride as she ages and your driving habits really don't demand much more from your suspension.

Fresh shocks will make a nice difference if your old ones have gone to hell already but in the more simplistic approach If they're not leaking and your truck feels ok to you you're good to go.