Which tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, so I have 2016 Power Wagon that has 285/75/17 Geolander M/T G003 tires and the spare, from when I bought it a year ago. I live in Bellevue, NE so I get every driving condition there is. I honestly do no off-roading, sadly, so I definitely don't need a dedicated mud/off-road tire. She's my daily driver/pavement princess, but I would like to start venturing off the beaten path and use it for what it's capable of. I also don't tow anything. I think the size I have now is suitable for my needs. I'm just torn on which tire to get. I've done lots of homework and I've narrowed it down to either the Falken Wild Peak A/T 3W or the BF Goodrich T/A K02. So, my question to everyone is, if money wasn't an issue, and it's not, which of those two would you pick? I appreciate and welcome any and all input from the Power Wagon community. Have a good day all.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Falkens... Up to you to get "C" or "E" tires. I have "C"'s.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's my understanding that if I don't tow anything, which I know I won't, then a "C" load tire should be fine right?

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x13.50R17LT on 17" Fuel Rims Model D560 Vapor on my '21 Power Wagon. They impact fuel economy, perform well, and are quiet on the highway and in the wet. They are beasts off-road.

My last vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 was set up for overlanding with Cooper Tires Discoverer S/T Maxx that has a name that is almost as long as its legacy in the overlanding space. These might not be the flashiest tires — Cooper doesn’t make the sexiest commercials, but they are well-mannered in all conditions on the highway and are awesome wet or dry off-road due to their unique rubber compound. This on-road / off-road test encouraged me to invest in the Coopers and I never regretted my purchase.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@ryanpaulaf1, you only need 'E' rated ties if your required tire pressure (per door frame placard, or other loading charts associated with your vehicle) call for tire pressures greater than 50 psi (max pressure for 'C' tires). If so, as @thkbaron said, you need a 'D' (65 psi max) or 'E' tire (80 psi max).

Also, 'E' rated tires tend to be a little tougher in their construction than 'C's, so sometimes even if it's not needed for pressure/load requirements, off-roaders get them for puncture resistance against thorns, rocks, etc.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have never ran the Falken AT's but was happy with a set of the Falken MT's on my PW. Ran 2 sets of the BFG AT's on a previous truck and was very happy with them. The BFG's are the only tires I actually bought twice in a row because I was that pleased with them. They wore great, were always quiet even after wearing down, and thought they had decent traction in all conditons....didn't do any hardcore off-roading in that truck but never had any issues in snow or mud. Currently running Ridge Grapplers on the PW, and while I wouldn't call them a bad tire, I'm not in love with them either. If hindsight was 20/20 I would have bought something different to try. Slightly quieter than the previous Falken MT's but definitely not as quiet as the BFG AT's, and wet pavement performance is pretty poor.
In regards to the C vs. E load range, the PW comes stock with D rated tires so right in between. You don't see C rated tires on a 2500 (3/4 ton) truck that often, but technically most C rated tires in that size range have a high enough weight rating. Per the Falken website the C rated AT3 around that size all have a max weight rating in the 2,500 lbs. range. Time that by 4 tires and you are at 10,000 lbs. total weight capacity for a truck that has a GVWR (max weight rating) around 8,500 lbs. Just keep in mind that the max tire pressure is usually around 50 psi on a C tire and will likely cause the TPMS lights to come on unless you have it re-programmed. Of course with that said ideally you run lower pressures in E rated tires for the best ride, handling, and wear which can set off the TPMS lights also ( I run pressures down in the 40 psi range on my E rated tires).

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have never ran the Falken AT's but was happy with a set of the Falken MT's on my PW. Ran 2 sets of the BFG AT's on a previous truck and was very happy with them. The BFG's are the only tires I actually bought twice in a row because I was that pleased with them. They wore great, were always quiet even after wearing down, and thought they had decent traction in all conditons....didn't do any hardcore off-roading in that truck but never had any issues in snow or mud. Currently running Ridge Grapplers on the PW, and while I wouldn't call them a bad tire, I'm not in love with them either. If hindsight was 20/20 I would have bought something different to try. Slightly quieter than the previous Falken MT's but definitely not as quiet as the BFG AT's, and wet pavement performance is pretty poor.
In regards to the C vs. E load range, the PW comes stock with D rated tires so right in between. You don't see C rated tires on a 2500 (3/4 ton) truck that often, but technically most C rated tires in that size range have a high enough weight rating. Per the Falken website the C rated AT3 around that size all have a max weight rating in the 2,500 lbs. range. Time that by 4 tires and you are at 10,000 lbs. total weight capacity for a truck that has a GVWR (max weight rating) around 8,500 lbs. Just keep in mind that the max tire pressure is usually around 50 psi on a C tire and will likely cause the TPMS lights to come on unless you have it re-programmed. Of course with that said ideally you run lower pressures in E rated tires for the best ride, handling, and wear which can set off the TPMS lights also ( I run pressures down in the 40 psi range on my E rated tires).
Thanks for all that info. The more I keep looking at the info, I'm starting to lean a little more to the K02's. I was also looking at the Falken A/T 3w in a 285/70/17, but I'm not sure I want to go down to the 70 and get the higher RPMs either. Ugh, this is tough lol. Thanks again for all the info man. I'll definitely stick with the E load also.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Both are good tires. I has narrowed my search down to those same two and went with the Falkens. If I had it to do over again I would still pick the Falkens every time.

When it comes to load range, with with what the manufacturer says for your truck. If in an accident or something similar and you are running a different rating what is to say your insurance doesn't come back and say you purposely were running improper equipment and you aren't covered.

A lot of tire shops now won't install a tire unless it is the size on the placard on the door. I watched the shop where I got my last set turn a guy away as he wanted larger tired installed (and he purchased them through the shop online). In fact I had to show them my placard as I purchased E-rated tires for a 1500 (yes this is the recommended rating for the Outdoorsman package). Talking to them they said they are required to do this for insurance purposes. Now you can take them in there off of the vehicle and they will mount the tires, but if going on the vehicle they have to be the correct tire.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
E will give a harsher ride on imperfect surfaces. Even aired down it’s a stiffer carcass than D OEM tire.

I have gotten cactus punctures in the sidewall of the OEM tires, so there’s a trade off.

I have never had a bad BFG tire over many sets.

Presently I’m running a set of 35” Duratrac. It’s a better mud tire than the KO, but they don’t balance well. Probably I’ll go back to BFG after these.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all that info. The more I keep looking at the info, I'm starting to lean a little more to the K02's. I was also looking at the Falken A/T 3w in a 285/70/17, but I'm not sure I want to go down to the 70 and get the higher RPMs either. Ugh, this is tough lol. Thanks again for all the info man. I'll definitely stick with the E load also.
In regards to the difference in RPM, you are only looking at a difference of 60-70 RPM at 65 mph between a 285/75 vs. 285/70

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have 37” Geolandars on my PW and would be hard-pressed to switch to any other brand.
I love them, I really do, I've had no problem with them since I got the truck with them on it, and they look bad ass obviously. I just feel like they've worn down super fast. I mean I do drive 99% on pavement too though.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd go with a 35 in a heartbeat. Your gas mileage really won't be affected a whole lot and the truck looks better with them. The stock 33's look silly in my opinion.