Which tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I had LT285/65R20 BFG KO2's for my summer tires, and yes they look good and roll fairly well on the highway, but they are heavy tires, and they require a lot of weight to balance them out.

I kept them for two summers but as they aged they were more and more difficult to balance in terms of weight. They were checked for hop and belt shift and all was good. They were always road force balanced as well, and yes, they were stored properly and in a proper environment, too.

FFWD - I went to LT295/65R20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires this year for the summer rollers after taking off the BFG's. The Michelin's are a bigger tire, but they are about 5lb less per tire vs the 285-BFG's.

I gained almost a couple of MPG back now after switching to the Michelin's, and when they were road force balanced they were from 0.75oz to a max of 2.25oz per tire to balance them out. The BFG's were around 7oz up to 10+oz per tire when they were road force balanced.

I run 40psi cold in them front and rear and do mostly highway. They are smooth and quiet tires, and are appreciably more stable with better road feeling and control in the rain than the BFG's ever were, even when new.

Not knocking the BFG's or other AT tires as they look great and serve a purpose (I personally miss the look of them on my truck). But if you're only going off road once in a while and doing mostly on road and/or towing/hauling, the Michelin's are the tire to look at.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had LT285/65R20 BFG KO2's for my summer tires, and yes they look good and roll fairly well on the highway, but they are heavy tires, and they require a lot of weight to balance them out.

I kept them for two summers but as they aged they were more and more difficult to balance in terms of weight. They were checked for hop and belt shift and all was good. They were always road force balanced as well, and yes, they were stored properly and in a proper environment, too.

FFWD - I went to LT295/65R20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires this year for the summer rollers after taking off the BFG's. The Michelin's are a bigger tire, but they are about 5lb less per tire vs the 285-BFG's.

I gained almost a couple of MPG back now after switching to the Michelin's, and when they were road force balanced they were from 0.75oz to a max of 2.25oz per tire to balance them out. The BFG's were around 7oz up to 10+oz per tire when they were road force balanced.

I run 40psi cold in them front and rear and do mostly highway. They are smooth and quiet tires, and are appreciably more stable with better road feeling and control in the rain than the BFG's ever were, even when new.

Not knocking the BFG's or other AT tires as they look great and serve a purpose (I personally miss the look of them on my truck). But if you're only going off road once in a while and doing mostly on road and/or towing/hauling, the Michelin's are the tire to look at.
I have heard of people having balancing issues with the BFG's.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 40,000 km on a set of 35’’ k02’s very happy with them but I do rotate every 5km

Minotaur 013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Kenda Klever R/T’s are the best tire for doing it all and for the price (which is cheaper than BFG, Cooper, Falken, Nitto, etc. ) IMG_2487.jpeg

HaydenHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I went from Michelin defenders to the BFG K02 because I drive a lot in winter and as a waterfowl Hunter, I am on a lot of snowy and icy boat ramps and roads pulling my boat. I love the KO twos for traction but I am thinking they cost me 1.5 to 2 mpg. Still, I would buy them again. Price of doing business in my situation.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
here is what I did. I found out the there are only 3 tire manufactures in the world. most reside in china. OK, ya say I ain't buying anything fromn china, well lets see. discount tires, tire & battery, and the big ones all get there tires from china. So here is what I did, went on market place on fb and found these "Red Dirt MT tires. they are raterd 8th in the world for quality. I have a 03 dodge 2500 4x4. hardley any wear so far. Oh, BTW, $604 for 4 tires, balanced the works. tire & battery, dfiscount tires, will never see me again

Attachments

• 324158260_553885199745379_375899231381927201_n.jpg
    324158260_553885199745379_375899231381927201_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 16

Snowchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so I have 2016 Power Wagon that has 285/75/17 Geolander M/T G003 tires and the spare, from when I bought it a year ago. I live in Bellevue, NE so I get every driving condition there is. I honestly do no off-roading, sadly, so I definitely don't need a dedicated mud/off-road tire. She's my daily driver/pavement princess, but I would like to start venturing off the beaten path and use it for what it's capable of. I also don't tow anything. I think the size I have now is suitable for my needs. I'm just torn on which tire to get. I've done lots of homework and I've narrowed it down to either the Falken Wild Peak A/T 3W or the BF Goodrich T/A K02. So, my question to everyone is, if money wasn't an issue, and it's not, which of those two would you pick? I appreciate and welcome any and all input from the Power Wagon community. Have a good day all.
Neither I would run Made & Owned in the USA MasterCraft CXT all terrains

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I just put a set of Geolander's 275/75/18 on my 2500 CTD, I ran these tires on my 95 1500 Ram. I really like the Geolander's, replaced the Michelin Defenders. Virtually the same ride quality, noise.

DwainGriffis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I'm on my 2nd set of Firestone Destination X/T's (E- rated) on my DRW and got 55k miles out of the 1st set

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's my .2 cents. BFG K02 are absolute TRASH now.
I was a loyal BFG guy since the 80's but in about 2015. -2018 their quality went downhill FAST!
With reg rotations, alignments & balances I was getting 20k miles out of their PATHETIC tires before balding. 2 sets and NEVER will purchase again.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We always just called tires 6ply or 10ply. And we always used 10 ply on 2500’s. # Referring to side wall construction . For pavement I always use Michelin . I would almost always get 5k more miles than they where rated for. So that why I kept using 10 ply . On a 2500 & 1500. I did have some off road BFG’s . They were good , but it’s was a lil luv truck that never saw pavement . So I have no idea on road noise from the BFG’s. I believe 10 ply is standard on almost all 2500’s. Have you look at Hercules tires? I’ve head some good things about em. But have no experience with em. Might be an option. Good luck

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my .2 cents. BFG K02 are absolute TRASH now.
I was a loyal BFG guy since the 80's but in about 2015. -2018 their quality went downhill FAST!
With reg rotations, alignments & balances I was getting 20k miles out of their PATHETIC tires before balding. 2 sets and NEVER will purchase again.

Totally agree. BFG are trash tire that wear unbelievably quickly now.

I put the stock size ko2’s on my half ton work truck. No complaints from me yet. I have 13,270 miles on them now and they still look new. I will have to keep an eye on them to see if they disintegrate in the next 6k miles.

F1209CE2-EB61-4A9D-BF78-5304BC3D676A.jpeg

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the stock size ko2’s on my half ton work truck. No complaints from me yet. I have 13,270 miles on them now and they still look new. I will have to keep an eye on them to see if they disintegrate in the next 6k miles.

View attachment 525693

They are probably fine for a 1/2 ton, they are garbage on anything else....overpriced crap...but the fanboys love them

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Tires have improved so much, and younger people seem to not understand this. It is hard to comment on tires when so many seem interested what looks badass instead of function. By all means go with load range E tires. Don't go too big because you just lose power. For snow,tall narrow tires are best. Wide tires in snow are a disaster.

Plenty of good brands like Cooper, Toyo, Nitto, Falken, Michelin, etc. I run stock sized tires, because that is what the truck is designed to run on.