whining/airflow noise upon acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, the last few days I've noticed a slight whining noise coming from the engine when I'm accelerating. Its a mix between a whine and almost done like the air is on but its not on. I can't really hear it once i get up to cruising speeds, but in town i can hear it when i stop and go. It has around 58k miles, and its under warranty right now.

I took it in the other day and they said the ticking noise i was hearing was the hemi tick, caused by the oil circulation on startup? And its apparently normal to have vibration when driving around 35-40 and the mds is on?

You guys have any idea what it could be before i take it back in, and also any opinions on what they said about the ticking noise and vibration?

Thanks.

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump. Its more just the air vent noise this morning. Mostly when driving in town.

Thanks.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be gear whine. Does it happen at a specific MPH range?

Do you have an aftermarket CAI on the truck? That could make additional noises as well. Just throwing some things out there. How's the truck running ortherwise? Running good, other than the phantom noises?

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No cai, all stock. Its mostly when I'm around town, under 50mph, i don't really notice it on the highway. Other than the weird air noise, it runs very strong. I don't mind taking it in often, i just like to have a good idea of the problem before i take it in.

Thanks

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The MDS vibration has been an issue that has not been recified since I owned my 1500 5.7 from 2007. Its irritating as all hell.. Go get a SC and turn off your MDS.. that fixes that problem. Or the poor man fix is to use Tow-haul.

As far as the Hemi-Tick, I never had that on my truck.. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, I've seen reference to it a lot online... Same with your air-noise... no idea.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're hearing it around the 40-50 mph range and you can play with the accelerator to make it go away, could be some gear whine. I get this with my truck and it's been there forever. If it's running strong, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Trucks are going to make some noise. Enjoy your ride. :)

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The MDS vibration has been an issue that has not been recified since I owned my 1500 5.7 from 2007. Its irritating as all hell.. Go get a SC and turn off your MDS.. that fixes that problem.
Good post. MDS creates all kinds of weird noises.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had something close to what your describing like a faint supercharger sound but constantly on mine it turned out I needed to replace the idler pully

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just went thru this with mine. Had 1 bad idler, replaced that and it got better. Then the rest was the rear bearing in the alternator goin bad. Replace that and she is all quiet again. FYI..the alt was still working.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fan Clutch Failure

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well looks like we have narrowed it down to about 5 things could you make a video that would help???