Whining noise on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeti1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im trying to figure out whats wrong with my truck. Its a 2008 Ram 1500 4.7l. At first i noticed the volt meter moving up and down at idle and had already installed a new red top optima battery. Figuring it was the alternator I replaced it, however the volt meter continued to move up and down at idle. Lights seem to dim in and out with the idle as well. So not too sure what else it could be for that.

Also, upon acceleration I am hearing a whining noise that gets louder. Cant hear it at idle as I have my truck straight piped lol.

I just noticed that my rear pinion seal is leaking but the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the rear end. sounds more under the hood.

Any help on these issues would be much appreciated!

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Alternator is defective

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
yeti1500

yeti1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could that be the reason to the voltage issue? or could that be related to the whine

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same dimming and volt meter issue too. Mines an 05. No whining noise though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could be the alternator considering the power issues, but just in case it isn't, how old are your idler pulleys and tensioner? I just replaced all of mine and turns out that's what it was. Then tensioner was actually cracked where the spring is and wasn't tensioning properly.

Skeer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Engine
Why replace the alternator without having it tested?

In any case go get the new one tested at Autozone/Oreillys/Advance, etc.

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you referring to the voltage gauge on the dash or have you checked the power output at the actual alternator with a meter?

Check your alternator to battery wire. Make sure it's getting good connection.

For the whine, how old is the belt? Check your idler pulleys. I had the same thing and it was my lower idler. They're $17 at AutoZone.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Could very well be rear end needs a rebuild. Mine whines only when accelerating or with load not downhill or coasting. It needs a rebuild but I will continue to use until it gets worse.