whistle/shhhhh sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hessian577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all...I have a question, hopefully someone can help me out or lead me in the right direction. I have an 03 Ram with the 4.7 and 81,500 miles. I noticed a whistle/shhhh sound when I accelerate. I've looked at every line and hose I can and haven't found any bad ones. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket. I even replaced the resonator to throttle body connection tube. I can't pin point the sound but I believe its coming from the engine bay. No engine light appears and the engine performance is unchanged...responsive and strong. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks ;)

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noise goes away.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
:signs16:
Take the serpentine belt off and see if the noise goes away.

Ignore that. DO not remove your belt seeing as it runs the water pump alternator and several other needed things. Use a probe and see if you can tell just where the whistle is coming from. Belt squeal will be distinct and very loud and is quite different than what you are describing. May be a small hole in the airbox or somewhere else that you have not located yet.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Does it make the noise even if you rev it in park?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Hessian577

Hessian577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked the entire air box and resonator box...everything is solid. I thought maybe there was a loose connection to the throttle body so I replaced the connection tube. Yes, it still makes the sound if I rev it in park but not as distinct as when I'm accelerating while driving.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it get louder as you accelerate? Is your ac compressor on when it makes the noise, or does it happen while its off too? Could also be your alternator. You can do like what daytona said and take the belt off, start it up and give it some gas to see if the noise is still there

Ignore that. DO not remove your belt seeing as it runs the water pump alternator and several other needed things. Use a probe and see if you can tell just where the whistle is coming from. Belt squeal will be distinct and very loud and is quite different than what you are describing. May be a small hole in the airbox or somewhere else that you have not located yet.

I think he just meant to take it off for a short time while its in park, not driving around with it off. He would still be fine as long as he doesnt run it too long and let it get up to temps/hot

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I checked the entire air box and resonator box...everything is solid. I thought maybe there was a loose connection to the throttle body so I replaced the connection tube. Yes, it still makes the sound if I rev it in park but not as distinct as when I'm accelerating while driving.

Question: DP you have a throttle body spacer installed??? A lot of them will whistle when you accelerate. Look at your throttle body and see if there is a 1 inch spacer between it and the intake plenum. That may be what is making the noise maybe.:emotions36:

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I won't hurt a thing to run it for a min. to see if the noise goes away!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I won't hurt a thing to run it for a min. to see if the noise goes away!

Agreed, no better way to diagnose it. Spin each accessory to see if anything feels funny. Almost sounds like alternator or water pump

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Hessian577

Hessian577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks fellas, I'm gonna try these suggestions and see what happens. Wish me luck because the noise is driving me offing bonkers. I can hear it over the Flowmasters. As for the TB spacer, I do no have one installedI replaced the gasket and its together solid.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you're checking accessories with the belt off, spin each pulley quickly and listen for squeaks or other odd noises, but then turn them slowly, keeping your fingers on the pulley to feel for tight or sticky spots, shuddering, etc.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
also check your power steering pump, my buddy's dad's gmc made a nice whistling noise which we all thought was the alternator... but while at the shop he found a leak in the power steering system, and the pump went bad.

I know it is a gmc... but it is a similar issue that we experienced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank