Whistling Noise and Gas Tank Not filling Properly - 2021 Ram Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Two things:

1) I have had a whistling noise coming from the drivers side since I bought the truck. You don't hear it if the fan or radio is on but it it loud. Just brought it in and they said they resealed the windshield it did not fix the problem. Took it to Autoland in Springfield, New jersey and they did not check to see if the problem was fixed. Terrible service - does anyone know of a fix and what is causing it?

2) Autoland also replaced the gas tank because I was having a problem filling the tank. Today for example I wanted to check if the new tank corrected the problem. The gas pump kicked off at $4.50 and then I tried to see how full it was. Pumping in 20 to 50 cents at a time I got to $20 and it still was not full. This is the new style tank without a cap. My other rebel did not have the same problem.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, There's a recall for the cap less filler neck that may be your problem, the wind noise there's allot of threads, I'll give you a link to one of them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Hi, There's a recall for the cap less filler neck that may be your problem, the wind noise there's allot of threads, I'll give you a link to one of them.
A recall for the capless filler neck? Care to share more information about that recall? I'm on my second 5th gen with this system and have yet to be contacted about a recall for that. I had a problem with this on my previous truck, but so far my current one is not having that problem.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A recall for the capless filler neck? Care to share more information about that recall? I'm on my second 5th gen with this system and have yet to be contacted about a recall for that. I had a problem with this on my previous truck, but so far my current one is not having that problem.
Mike, It was for people having trouble filling there tank, and it clicking off several times because of the bend in the filler neck, I was most problematic on the west coast where they have that funky male filler, there was a revision of the filler neck that i heard about, I stand corrected there was not a recall for the filler neck, another thing just like the wind noise they hope it goes away.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Two things:

1) I have had a whistling noise coming from the drivers side since I bought the truck. You don't hear it if the fan or radio is on but it it loud. Just brought it in and they said they resealed the windshield it did not fix the problem. Took it to Autoland in Springfield, New jersey and they did not check to see if the problem was fixed. Terrible service - does anyone know of a fix and what is causing it?

2) Autoland also replaced the gas tank because I was having a problem filling the tank. Today for example I wanted to check if the new tank corrected the problem. The gas pump kicked off at $4.50 and then I tried to see how full it was. Pumping in 20 to 50 cents at a time I got to $20 and it still was not full. This is the new style tank without a cap. My other rebel did not have the same problem.

The tank issue seems to be a common problem. I have it too. Some have found keeping the pump handle at different angles helps. For me, as long as i keep the rear end of the handle elevated it wont shut off. Ive seen others here that have to keep the handle horizontal etc. Gotta play with it.

As for the whistling, ive it experienced myself as well, drove me crazy. For me though, turns out it was coming from my side mirror at the rotating joint. Put my hand over it and it stops. So i filled the gap with grease

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Two things:

Regarding the whistling, have you checked the rubber seals around your door? My 2016 whistled (sounded like my window was cracked just enough to make the sound) and it was the door seal. I must have knocked a section just a little while getting in one day, or one of my kids did. Go around it and push it all back into place, if there's a tiny gap, you'll feel it pop back into place and that should fix the whistling. It should only take a minute or less so it's a quick troubleshoot.

Edit to add: My whistling didn't happen until my truck went back to my dealer for body work after the neighbor's dog tried to eat my truck.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Right. I know they redesigned the filler neck and I believe there is a TSB for that. I was just confused when you called it a recall. A recall and a TSB are two very different things.