White Lady or White Witch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine and everyone I know that has a 4th gen it's 10,000 miles. So now we know that OCI meter is bullcrap. So what's next, will they delete the dipstick and tell us the engine oil is a lifetime fill?

One thing that has always annoyed me about the recommended OCIs, is in the US, AFAIK, most were 5000 miles whereas the same vehicle, made in the same plant but destined for the Canadian market, the recommended OCI conveniently becomes 5000 KM or 3100 miles.

All of the oil change shops here always preach 5000 km too. What kind of sci-fi logic is that? Let's use the kiss principle because people are too stupid to know the difference.

Now we have Ram trucks, again, built in the same factory and some brainiac decided that 10,000 KM & 10,000 miles are close enough. :rolleyes: Realistically, both OCI are beyond stupidity but, what does this say about the manufacturer? Are they confused or just think their customers are brain-dead? :)

I didn't learn the metric system until I was 11 years old, and I haven't yet forgotten the two systems and the relationship/conversion between them.

Whenever I next drag myself off the couch, I'm going to switch my truck to the imperial measurement system and see if my oil life meter magically gains about 6100 km.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Congrats on picking up your new ride, MoToad. :cool:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also hope you have many years of trouble-free trucking/hauling/towing. Post a picture when you get a chance. :waytogo:

But remember, you're in a machine with an estimated 30,000 individual parts, many of them are precision and constantly rotating as you drive. And 3000 or so microprocessors and miles of wire and computer code. It's kind of a miracle of modern engineering and manufacturing that a vehicle subjected to abuse, lack of maintenance (sometimes), vibrations, heat/cold/humidity, dust/dirt/mud/rain ...can (in many cases) go 200k mi with few problems.

There are always issues which can/will pop up. Expect some ...deal with them and move on. As you found out, even magical Toyota's aren't immune to some problems. But there are a lot of smart guys on this board if you do need some help, or just want to banter.

:favorites13:

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Good morning all.
New truck, new forum. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I am picking up my new 2022 white Ram 1500 Classic Hemi with 20kms on the odo. I can only hope this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I am trading in my 09 Tundra TRD which came hidden with all the problems that I read about after the fact and which the dealer failed to disclose. Need less to say I fix the aforementioned and am trading in a pretty healthy truck. The straw that broke the camel's back was two fold. A recent trip to Arizona and back, towing a trailer, had me getting in US terms, about 8 miles per gallon. I know the new Ram will do better, even if not by much. But the real decider was and has been from purchase, the exhaust drone. Bad enough on it's own, a horrendous ear damaging affair when towing. There are fixes but enough was enough.
I was originally looking for a slightly used vehicle but the salesman talked me into a test drive and I was smitten. Sitting down and Googling the good and the bad I soon discovered the problems with the Ram and can only hope she doesn't go from lady to witch. Then there's the guy I clicked on with a 2022 Classic with nothing but trouble. GAAAA!
Welcome! I have never ever been a fan of the Tundra, the very poor mpg and they just look odd to me, even the new ones. None of them are cheap to buy. The new Tundra with only a V6 turbo engine is no good imo. I like a non turbo engine and I prefer a V-8 even if they are going out of vogue.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my old jetta TDI, using Rotella T6, I never changed the oil less than 10k mi. Sometimes I even went 14k. Course it needed a couple 3 fresh qts in between ...which helped extend it. It's got over 276k and still runs like a champ. I don't recommend anyone do the same. A lot of owners did the 10k change ...I figured I'd experiment and see how it worked. Man was it dirty between changes. I took off the valve cover a while ago and the cam lobes look great. Different vehicle, different circumstance. On my ram I go more in the 5-7k mi change interval.

Toyota trucks: I have a lot of respect for how well Toyota trucks are designed & constructed ..having worked on a lot of them, and owned several. If you just take the frames, drivetrain & running gear: Just everything about their truck's running gear is better, stronger, beefier, harder ...and just a little better thought-out. Not in all cases, but in many or most. Subtle better design details in parts or brackets ...almost everywhere ya look, subtle enhancements made to enhance strength or longevity. Yellow zinc cad bolts which resist corrosion better. They'll generally stand up to a ton of abuse and last forever. Toyota bodies, creature comfort and ergonomics seem to always be given the lowest priority which has always been the biggest disappointment for traditional 'big-3' truck owners. Toyota and Nissan produce a good product, but seem to be engineering-driven companies. That's just my own observation.

Not to take away from the Big-3 ...they've taken what the imports have done well and continually produce great trucks. Ram really hit a home run with the 4th gen pickup. Making a solid axle front end option on certain 1500 4x4 packages would have been a grand slam! :)

Last edited:

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I traded a 2019 GMC Denali for a 2021 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, Limited Longhorn and love it. RAM offers work trucks in multiple configurations and offers a luxury interior and ride that really can’t be beat yet, by other manufacturers. Mine is tri-color white pearl, riding on 22” inch rims with MFT and RamBox storage. It’s a HEMI V8 eTorgue. Love everything about it. Wish you the best with your new RAM!

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Welcome! I have never ever been a fan of the Tundra, the very poor mpg and they just look odd to me, even the new ones. None of them are cheap to buy. The new Tundra with only a V6 turbo engine is no good imo. I like a non turbo engine and I prefer a V-8 even if they are going out of vogue.
I like the look of the new tundra, and you can get one in the same configuration and price range as I spent on a classic. However I was not going to buy a first model year, and Toyota left a sour feeling towards me for now. TT V6 is indeed to complicated

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Welcome, and enjoy your new Ram ownership experience!

As many have said already.... use a top quality synthetic oil (recommend 5W30) and the same for the oil filter (Royal Purple or equivalent), and change it at a max of 5,000 miles (8,000Km's for us Canucks...lol).

Use premium fuel too (91 is sufficient), and have fun with a great truck!

I got mine new in late June 19' and have just crossed 124,000Km's in that time, and she has been a fantastic vehicle and one heck of a truck! I'll never look back, and don't regret getting my Ram!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am on my 3 rd hemi ram, 2005, 2010, 2014, none of them where in for service , just oil and any recalls, none had huge miles , the 2010 was run into by a idiot chev guy, so the 14, which as I am old and retired, is at only 80th km , about 50,000 miles. no ticks, or anything like that.

SIL had his overheat and he could not get it stopped overheating, so switched motor, but I think the service guys screwed up, they never pulled the heads, he had lots of hard miles on it 2012

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Good morning all.
New truck, new forum. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I am picking up my new 2022 white Ram 1500 Classic Hemi with 20kms on the odo. I can only hope this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I am trading in my 09 Tundra TRD which came hidden with all the problems that I read about after the fact and which the dealer failed to disclose. Need less to say I fix the aforementioned and am trading in a pretty healthy truck. The straw that broke the camel's back was two fold. A recent trip to Arizona and back, towing a trailer, had me getting in US terms, about 8 miles per gallon. I know the new Ram will do better, even if not by much. But the real decider was and has been from purchase, the exhaust drone. Bad enough on it's own, a horrendous ear damaging affair when towing. There are fixes but enough was enough.
I was originally looking for a slightly used vehicle but the salesman talked me into a test drive and I was smitten. Sitting down and Googling the good and the bad I soon discovered the problems with the Ram and can only hope she doesn't go from lady to witch. Then there's the guy I clicked on with a 2022 Classic with nothing but trouble. GAAAA!

Like Wives, some get good ones, some guys don;t.
Those with Good Ones, rarely, say squat, they're too happy enjoying Life.
Couple of us are jsut bored adn do chirp in, now & then, but mostly, to gleefully chuckle at the guys who complain.

We;re Evil and enjoy the pain of others.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, and enjoy your new Ram ownership experience!

As many have said already.... use a top quality synthetic oil (recommend 5W30) and the same for the oil filter (Royal Purple or equivalent), and change it at a max of 5,000 miles (8,000Km's for us Canucks...lol).

Use premium fuel too (91 is sufficient), and have fun with a great truck!

I got mine new in late June 19' and have just crossed 124,000Km's in that time, and she has been a fantastic vehicle and one heck of a truck! I'll never look back, and don't regret getting my Ram!
I see a lot of debate on fuel, manual says 87 will work but 89 is recommended. I have been using 89. What would the benefit be of 91?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see a lot of debate on fuel, manual says 87 will work but 89 is recommended. I have been using 89. What would the benefit be of 91?
There's a great YouTube floating around here that tested multiple octane level fuels and scientifically proved there was zero real world difference.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a great YouTube floating around here that tested multiple octane level fuels and scientifically proved there was zero real world difference.

I only had mine since November 22 / 1700 miles but always tossed in 89. I didn’t become one of them who believes 91 or 93 is superior. Extra .35 a gallon or so though!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only had mine since November 22 / 1700 miles but always tossed in 89. I didn’t become one of them who believes 91 or 93 is superior. Extra .35 a gallon or so though!
I know that Costco here in Canada used to sell premium fuel without ethanol, I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

I'd suspect ethanol compromises fuel mpg much more than octane level.

Our supreme leader decided to remove ethanol-free gas from the entire country AFAIK.

Our premium fuel is about 12-25 cents per litre more. A US gallon is 3.8 litres while a Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres.

This mornings price is $1.57/ litre and typically 5-8 cents less at Costco. I believe regular fuel here is 87 octane.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that Costco here in Canada used to sell premium fuel without ethanol, I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

I'd suspect ethanol compromises fuel mpg much more than octane level.

Our supreme leader decided to remove ethanol-free gas from the entire country AFAIK.

Our premium fuel is about 12-25 cents per litre more. A US gallon is 3.8 litres while a Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres.

This mornings price is $1.57/ litre and typically 5-8 cents less at Costco. I believe regular fuel here is 87 octane.
We currently have 87 89 90 & 91 in New York where I am, typically the places that sell ethanol free it is only in the 90 octane. $4.99 per US gallon on average

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn't a 'White Witch' be ...the 'good witch'? :)

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Another fuel price spike around here in the last week or so. After signing my life away yesterday and adding on extended warranty and insurance costs plus ordering up the necessary addons (nerf bars, tonneau, box liner, etc., etc.), I am going for regular gas period. I was pleased to see in the 110 km ride home from the dealer the tank barely dropped below full which is way different from the Tundra's readout. Mostly a flat ride home and setting zeroing the average on the flat part with cruise set at 100kph the readout was about 11L per 100KMs. Not complaining.20230417_162709.jpg20230417_114250.jpg