Who has experience with air suspensions for 2500s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am seriously considering trading in my 2016 Ram 1500 Limited for a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi. I do not need the CTD because I only tow a 5500 lb. car trailer and don't haul heavy loads in the bed. I mainly take long road trips and want the MegaCab for the extra room, but I LOVE the ride quality of the air suspension on my 1500. I test drove a 2019 2500 MegaCab, and while it rode well for a 2500, it's nowhere near the ride of the 1500.

After I get the new 2500, my plan was going to be to replace the coil springs front and rear with the Kelderman air bags and run them at the lowest possible pressure to give the best possible ride. The Hemi is 800 pounds lighter than the CTD, so I'm thinking this should allow me to run relatively low pressure. I am aware that rear air bags are a factory option on the 2500's, but this is a closed system that is designed for load leveling in the rear. It does not allow for any manual adjustment.

Has anyone ridden in a 2500 that has been converted to front AND rear air bags? How close to a 1500 with factory air bags did it ride? Thanks.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
I understand possibly wanting the 2500 just cause and possibly if you want to lift it but at a 5500 pound trailer why not just stick with a 1500? The 5th gen 1500s actually have few inch longer cab on than the crew on the 2500 and is only like 2 inches shorter than the mega. It also has the full backseat(no middle cutout) and recliners being comfort was one of your concerns. And gull air suspension just like your used to.

Sorry had to add that i didnt answer your question at all. Cause i really dont know the answer. Just added my opinions. ha

Eric Troup

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with four wheel airbag suspension. I loved the ride and the automatic 4 wheel drive features.

I traded it for a 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins Limited (with auto leveling rear air bags) because I was actually overweight on the rear axle when towing my 7,000 lbs travel trailer. The ride is not as smooth as the 1500 and we miss that.

I am in the process of attempting to make the ride less jiggly by upgrading the suspension with Thuren Fabrication components. At the front am installing 1" taller but 26% software linear rate springs, new track and anti-sway bars, and custom tuned King 2.5" shocks (set at Level 2). At the back, am installing a Thuren Rear Track Bar and King 2.5" shocks (set at Level 1).

I am also adding a Titan 40 gal in-bed auxiliary fuel tank. This will give me a much longer range while towing plus the adding weight in the back that should calm down the ride even when not towing.

We will see in the next few weeks when everything arrives and gets installed.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with four wheel airbag suspension. I loved the ride and the automatic 4 wheel drive features.

I traded it for a 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins Limited (with auto leveling rear air bags) because I was actually overweight on the rear axle when towing my 7,000 lbs travel trailer. The ride is not as smooth as the 1500 and we miss that.

I am in the process of attempting to make the ride less jiggly by upgrading the suspension with Thuren Fabrication components. At the front am installing 1" taller but 26% software linear rate springs, new track and anti-sway bars, and custom tuned King 2.5" shocks (set at Level 2). At the back, am installing a Thuren Rear Track Bar and King 2.5" shocks (set at Level 1).

I am also adding a Titan 40 gal in-bed auxiliary fuel tank. This will give me a much longer range while towing plus the adding weight in the back that should calm down the ride even when not towing.

We will see in the next few weeks when everything arrives and gets installed.

That will be a nice setup for sure!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, you're on a track I've researched a lot for someday when I get a new truck. My current 2500 has coils and I supplement with aftermarket bags but that does nothing to help the empty ride. Kelderman seems to be one of the nice full replacement systems. I usually get as far as seeing the price and I get scared :) I think it's a few thousand just in parts.

The poor man's way would be to just put some really soft springs on and then supplement with bags like I have now that I can just adjust.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, you're on a track I've researched a lot for someday when I get a new truck. My current 2500 has coils and I supplement with aftermarket bags but that does nothing to help the empty ride. Kelderman seems to be one of the nice full replacement systems. I usually get as far as seeing the price and I get scared :) I think it's a few thousand just in parts.

Its over $2000 for EACH END of the truck for 3” kit... almost $3000 for the 5-6” kit. Thats with manual fill setup, no onboard air setup.