Who knows the answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troublewalksin97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 magnum
Hey so I hope someone can give me some insight into the issue I’m dealing with I recently bought another Ram 1500 sport 4x4 a 46 RH auto trans with the 5.9 for 400 the kid I got it from had it for a couple months and then had the transmission act up on him , when I asked him what happened when it went out he said it was driving and shifting fine normal operation and he went to get on Highway when the trans just stopped propelling vehicle and acted as if it was in neutral he parked it in his driveway and never drove it again is that for two years so when I bought it I Trailer did to the place I was going to keep it and decided to see what the transmission fluid look like normally as you would expect like large metal parts or fragments in pan or badly burned transmission fluid but when I open the pan there wasn’t any of that everything looks pretty clean inside just your usual Very light metallic Test in the fluid nothing more than usual there’s always a little bit of that but nothing that would make me think that something was wrong so I know the Fluid hadn’t been changedSo my question is what sensor or computer issue or solenoid because transmission to just stop working like that with no sign of a problem no slipping no skipping gears nothing just stopped working why wouldn’t that be with that be maybe the pump the torque converter I’m hoping someone has some insight into this so I can hopefully repair this and get it back on the road without having to replace the Transmission maybe even if anyone has any idea of what I should attack first as far as trying to diagnose the problem advice would be great

Attachments

• 9F8579D3-4FA4-449C-A590-11781CBC70B2.jpeg
    9F8579D3-4FA4-449C-A590-11781CBC70B2.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 8
  • A6A333DE-9CAA-4ECC-9D6C-6B9A4CEE51AD.jpeg
    A6A333DE-9CAA-4ECC-9D6C-6B9A4CEE51AD.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 838E024B-8B74-423C-891E-DA3A39A3003B.jpeg
    838E024B-8B74-423C-891E-DA3A39A3003B.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 08C64019-C175-4E71-9245-70266512D82E.jpeg
    08C64019-C175-4E71-9245-70266512D82E.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 8

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey so I hope someone can give me some insight into the issue I’m dealing with I recently bought another Ram 1500 sport 4x4 a 46 RH auto trans with the 5.9 for 400 the kid I got it from had it for a couple months and then had the transmission act up on him , when I asked him what happened when it went out he said it was driving and shifting fine normal operation and he went to get on Highway when the trans just stopped propelling vehicle and acted as if it was in neutral he parked it in his driveway and never drove it again is that for two years so when I bought it I Trailer did to the place I was going to keep it and decided to see what the transmission fluid look like normally as you would expect like large metal parts or fragments in pan or badly burned transmission fluid but when I open the pan there wasn’t any of that everything looks pretty clean inside just your usual Very light metallic Test in the fluid nothing more than usual there’s always a little bit of that but nothing that would make me think that something was wrong so I know the Fluid hadn’t been changedSo my question is what sensor or computer issue or solenoid because transmission to just stop working like that with no sign of a problem no slipping no skipping gears nothing just stopped working why wouldn’t that be with that be maybe the pump the torque converter I’m hoping someone has some insight into this so I can hopefully repair this and get it back on the road without having to replace the Transmission maybe even if anyone has any idea of what I should attack first as far as trying to diagnose the problem advice would be great
I am very well versed in the field of the 46RH/RE transmissions. The first thing I suspect with a 46RH is a failed rear clutch or overrunning clutch which is needed for 1st gear.

Before you get into the trans, how far can you move the front/kickdown band apply lever away from the servo? I like to set them at 1/4".

How far can you move the rear/reverse band apply lever away from the servo?

If the trans will not move the vehicle with the shifter in the "D" position try going to manual low (1st). This forces the trans to apply the rear clutch and the rear band along with the overrunning clutch.

If you can move the vehicle in manual low
(1st gear) and not in DRIVE then we can suspect a problem with the rear clutch or the overrunning clutch.