Why is the R/T towing so low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are bolt-on options out there. I wouldn't be comfortable using a DIY adaptor- no matter who made it. No offense, Dub.
The OE rotor diamter is abour 13.25", right?
I'm sure UB will chime in and tell us these are all crap but most of us don't have/want to spend $7K on brakes.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ssb-a158-4r/overview/make/dodge/model/ram-1500
https://baer.com/15-Front-Extreme-Plus-Brake-System-4141022.html

None taken. I wouldn't trust me either if I didn't know me hahahaha.

Though to be fair there are thousands or even millions of vehicles on the road that have parts on them with my name on the drawing. I also did suspension work for a Formula SAE team and sat in on some of the brake design there. I also spent a couple years part time in a machine shop.

If and when I get my car settled I may just take a look at doing some kind of brake kit like this.

Actually I ran that set before I put the big brakes on. The 4 piston calipers won't clear an SRT10 wheel so I used their 3 piston caliper instead. It's a very good kit, I actually plan to install it on my 14 here pretty soon. The stock brakes on this crew cab leave a lot to be desired but I don't intend to build an all out truck again so the SSBC stuff will do just fine.

Dub...if you decide you want some SRT10 rep wheels then hit me up. I've been thinking about running some R/T wheels while I search for some OEM SRT10's. We can work out a swap plus cash on my end....your wheels are obviously more valuable than my reps.

Is it the wheel offset that causes them not to clear the brakes? I had a similar problem with my mustang...

I may be interested in those wheels though. Shoot me some details. Email is [email protected]

12 Ram Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Iv'e been debating the SSBC 3 kit myself. But I have to swap the drums on the Airstream first. But the price is very very attractive.

Also, anyone interested. The 2500 had a rotor that is only a few MM larger, the calipers are the SAME. Both 60mm twin piston. What's different is the mounting bracket from my research. In theory you could use a 2500 bracket, but the mount to the spindle looks different, couldn't find those measurements. To position the caliper to accept the larger rotor and slightly larger pad.

This is the method I used on my trailblazer to upgrade from a 12.50 rotor to the SS 13 inch rotor. Which uses the same caliper, but a larger bracket and larger pad. There is a noticable difference in stopping power.

The one thing I haven't been able to find yet, is someone who sells braided brake lines for the 4th gen dodge ram. That would be my own personal choice for first upgrades.
Let me know what you find about changing over to 2500 breaks I plan on upgrading the breaks pretty soon on my truck I was probably going to run a set of powerstops but if the 2500s fit with just a different bracket and pads maybe I could find some slotted and drilled 2500s and make them fit on mine

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, it's only 35 dollars to find out if it will work. Just need to order a 2500 caliper bracket off RockAuto or something, pop off your rim, pop off the caliper and have a looksy.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The factory brakes on the 1500 are very good as far as lasting and I guess to me breaking too. I was doing some searching and the factory pad in front at least seems to be made by brembo without fancy label. Could be wrong but it would make sense as they just keep lasting and lasting. I think the main reason the R/T has lower tow rating is wheelbase and tires above all. You could look up rating on each tire compared to factory 20" or 17" and even the P series ones will be rated higher than 22" I would bet. Then outdoorsman tires would be even more as they are LT's from what I have seen. The rear sway bar is not on R/T is it? I think it would tow more safely just not legally and might be a little wild with short wheelbase.

$miley

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
R/T's have the rear bar.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFAIK the Express are about the only ones that come without the rear swaybar.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I do know the 2005 SRT-10 Quad Cabs came with factory 305/40/22's and had a 7500 lb towing capacity....so, I don't know if the 22's are the main issue.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, it's only 35 dollars to find out if it will work. Just need to order a 2500 caliper bracket off RockAuto or something, pop off your rim, pop off the caliper and have a looksy.

The 2500 rotor is much thicker, the hat spacing is different, the rotors are for a 8 lug wheel, there are a lot of issues with that swap.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hahaha I'm not a big fan of 22" wheels anyway. The only real reason for bigger wheels in my mind is bigger brakes, and these trucks don't have that need by any means.

That said, I do love the look for the SRT-10 wheels

I live in Houston and will trade you my factory chrome 20s for your R/T 22s :naughty::naughty: