Wind whistle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys im at my wits end....Recently my 2016 1500 has developed a high pitch wind whistle at highway speeds. Roughly around 70mph begins a high pitch whistle. I've taped the doors, windshield molding/trim, and mirrors on both drivers and passenger side and it still Whistle! I've folded mirrors in, removed antenna and it still whistles. I've searched the forums and others have had the same whistle noise and there are YouTube videos with the exact wind whistle I have but the threads either die or offer no solution. I also tried the hvac recirculation and that has no effect on the whistle, nor does rolling down windows. If anyone has dealt with this and found out the cause or solution please let me know its driving me nuts! Also I'll attach a YouTube video of the sound, its not my truck but it is the exact whistle I'm getting.

https://youtu.be/whI2wAzS49k

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your truck bone stock?
What’s your cab configuration?
Any light bars?

OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your truck bone stock?
What’s your cab configuration?
Any light bars?
Pretty much, I have side steps, a tonneau cover and bug shield. I had all these since I got the truck last December and never had a whistle. I thought maybe it could be the bug shield so I took it off and it actually is worse/louder without the bug shield on.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think the bug shield, as I had the same kinda noise after installing one, removed it and it went away

Last edited:
OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my money is on bug shield and if you have vent visors, that may be it too.
I had a Tacoma some years back that started to have a whistle after installing a bug shield.
Try removing it to see if it goes away
just my 2 cents on this
I did remove it, the whistle is actually worse with the bug shield removed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Someone posted about wind noise and added vent shades. Weather tech iirc. Posted the wind noise disappeared.

OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any vent shades..

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it got louder with out the big shield then it sounds like it is up front some where- Maybe the hood/ or grill- check for loose parts- maybe pop the hood so it is on the safety latch and do one pass and see if that affects it.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As stupid as it sounds, I did all you did plus realigned the bed. Still had noise. Finally took the Mopar steps off. Problem solved. Put them back on, wind noise returned. Sold them on Craigslist. Problem solved!

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These things are known for bad door seals, but if you taped up your doors that should have made it go away. Unfortunately I'm not sure what else it could be.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Try checking to make sure your slider window is in it's track, mine, if you didn't close it a certain way it would scream, just a thought.

Try turning on your wipers at the speeds it makes the whistle and see if there is any changes.

Last edited:

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
O/P for giggles, pop off your left front fender liner and look to where the fender meets the front cab @ the outer firewall. There's a piece of foam in there that sometimes comes loose. If you open your door and look past the hinges you'll see what I mean.

Jared26 said:
These things are known for bad door seals...

That too. You'd figure with both an inner and outer set of seals the noise wouldn't happen yet it started on mine when they started to wear.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't have any vent shades..

Guess I wasn't clear. The vent shades may have changed the air flow to eliminate the wind noise. Might do the same for your noise.

OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm give some of these suggestions a try before I take it to the dealer. I was hoping to find the general area where it is coming from so as to tell them since other people haven't had much luck getting the dealer to find/fix it.

OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the source! So I went out on another tape adventure tonight. I taped the headlights and around the grill and the whistle persisted. So after standing in front of the truck racking my brain, I remembered the whistle is worse without my bug shield on.. it then dawned on me that the leading edge of the hood is almost completely cover by the bug shield except for the left and right corners above the headlights..i taped the leading edge of the hood above the headlights and lo and behold the whistle was almost non existent. I tore the tape off went for another interstate run and whistle like crazy..taped the hood gap above the headlights and whistle is so faint that is have to really pay attention to hear it, turning the radio to 2 drowns it out lol. Now I need to figure out how to fix it, I'm thinking some weather stripping should work. I also adjusted my hood stops down quite a bit to close the gap as much as possible between the hood and grill. So if anyone is hearing this whistle check the gap between the leading edge of your hood where it meets the top of the grill and headlights!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Nice, glad you figured that out. That **** drives me nuts, trying to find the noise, it's like a game my truck plays with me and I don't win often lol.

Last edited:

Jaded

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice job on finding it! I am pretty sure i have one from my windshield and it's driving me INSANE! Time to go on a taping spree and find it. Did you just use painters tape?

OP
OP
bpa88

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice job on finding it! I am pretty sure i have one from my windshield and it's driving me INSANE! Time to go on a taping spree and find it. Did you just use painters tape?
Yep blue painters tape, trust me it drove me nuts my wife thought i was crazy taping up the truck and driving back and forth for hours lol good luck on finding yours!

Jaded

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep blue painters tape, trust me it drove me nuts my wife thought i was crazy taping up the truck and driving back and forth for hours lol good luck on finding yours!

Hah! I am sure my husband is going to roll his eyes so hard when he gets home and sees the tape all over my windshield, ROFL. Thanks for the luck, I am sure i am going to need it LOL!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found the source! So I went out on another tape adventure tonight. I taped the headlights and around the grill and the whistle persisted. So after standing in front of the truck racking my brain, I remembered the whistle is worse without my bug shield on.. it then dawned on me that the leading edge of the hood is almost completely cover by the bug shield except for the left and right corners above the headlights..i taped the leading edge of the hood above the headlights and lo and behold the whistle was almost non existent. I tore the tape off went for another interstate run and whistle like crazy..taped the hood gap above the headlights and whistle is so faint that is have to really pay attention to hear it, turning the radio to 2 drowns it out lol. Now I need to figure out how to fix it, I'm thinking some weather stripping should work. I also adjusted my hood stops down quite a bit to close the gap as much as possible between the hood and grill. So if anyone is hearing this whistle check the gap between the leading edge of your hood where it meets the top of the grill and headlights!

First I have heard of this, nice find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca