Window Tint 5% All Around 50% Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Absolutely!! After having the 50% on the windshield, I'm kind of itching to go down to 40%.....but I don't want to pay to have it redone lol. I do have a chip in my windshield from a rock that flew up a couple weeks ago, so if it starts spreading across the windshield and I end up having to replace it, I may go down to 40% then.
You can always add a layer over it instead of redoing it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 5% put over the factory 20% on the back 3 windows, and went legal 50% on front 2. The front appear darker because the back are so dark. Wish here in Canada we could go darker on the front

Ysook1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did 5% on mine. Also did the windshield strip. I love it. I have to lower the window when pulling in the driveway. I definitely lower it when passing the schools when discharging.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You have me thinking windshield now...how's driving at night?
The tint guy told me to do it, he said its the biggest glass in the car, why not...
I said worried about nighttime driving.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
You have me thinking windshield now...how's driving at night?
The tint guy told me to do it, he said its the biggest glass in the car, why not...
It's actually fine... i was worried about it too but i ser just fine... and I'm blind at night lol... do it!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
thanks for feedback!!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks really cool. Stay away from NJ with those tint #'s! Lol.

I’m in PA and I drive my Ram in NJ on an almost daily basis (I live on the PA/NJ border and my Gf lives in NJ). I have 5% tint on all my windows except my windshield which is not tinted but I’ve been considering tinting that as well. I have never once gotten bothered in NJ. I did however get pulled over once in NJ because I have PA plates and I was driving through a “bad area” but I have to drive through there to get from my gf’s area which is Princeton (the famous school) to my area which is nice, but the cops were super cool and realized I wasn’t there for anything illegal and the one cop did mention my tint but just said “well your tint could be a ticket but I’m not going to bother you about that”. Same thing happened in PA but it was because of a low beam that was out. Cop said same thing. Actually the cop in PA and me started talking about Skylines, Supra’s, JDM cats and illegally importing cars from Japan that arnt 25yrs ole yet and also how to get around state inspection by registering your car in Florida with a friend in Florida’s address. Lol. Cop was really cool and he also owned a 2016 Ram Regular Cab so he loved my truck.

TLDR; NJ and PA cops have both mentioned my tint when I was already pulled over, but both said they didn’t want to be a **** so they didn’t give me a ticket for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyhollin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Does tinting a windshield not open you up to potential liability in a crash? I wonder the same about tinted tail lights/turn signals/headlights.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m in PA and I drive my Ram in NJ on an almost daily basis (I live on the PA/NJ border and my Gf lives in NJ). I have 5% tint on all my windows except my windshield which is not tinted but I’ve been considering tinting that as well. I have never once gotten bothered in NJ. I did however get pulled over once in NJ because I have PA plates and I was driving through a “bad area” but I have to drive through there to get from my gf’s area which is Princeton (the famous school) to my area which is nice, but the cops were super cool and realized I wasn’t there for anything illegal and the one cop did mention my tint but just said “well your tint could be a ticket but I’m not going to bother you about that”. Same thing happened in PA but it was because of a low beam that was out. Cop said same thing. Actually the cop in PA and me started talking about Skylines, Supra’s, JDM cats and illegally importing cars from Japan that arnt 25yrs ole yet and also how to get around state inspection by registering your car in Florida with a friend in Florida’s address. Lol. Cop was really cool and he also owned a 2016 Ram Regular Cab so he loved my truck.

TLDR; NJ and PA cops have both mentioned my tint when I was already pulled over, but both said they didn’t want to be a **** so they didn’t give me a ticket for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton is a beautiful area. I lived in Plainsboro for a while in 05/06 (about 5 minutes from Princeton). I loved it up there.

I would love to be able to get my windshield tinted, but it’s not worth the hassle. You have to get an ophthalmologist to give a written prescription declaring it medically necessary, then you have to submit that and get it approved by the state before you can legally do it. I’m not really into illegally doing stuff to my vehicles anymore as I’ve got more important stuff to do than get pulled over constantly. I have an incredibly sensitivity to bright light. If I go outside (even on some cloudy days) without sunglasses on, my eyes start watering and burning and I get a terrible headache. I have some spots on my retina caused by (and irritated by) bright lights (primarily from being around welding for a couple of decades). I imagine I could get the prescription, but it’s not worth the hassle for me. I just wear sunglasses.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
So I found out that the approval for tinted windows with a medical prescription does still not allow you to actually color tint your windshield as dark as I have it ... it still has to be around 70% and its a long ass process ... so far I have not gotten pulled over and I think its due to me not drawing attention to myself when I drive ... everyone out here has there vehicles tinted to 5% ...

I just recently got stopped at the lake by the park rangers and they called me out on everything, too high, no mudflaps, tinted tail and head lights ... window tint and no front license plate ... he said it is all illegal and to just be careful ... he could of given me a ticket but being that he was a park ranger and was probably outside the park helped me out of this one and I wasn't a **** when they stopped me ..

They actually stopped me because I was taking some pictures with the lake in the background lol and some stupid ass park maintenance worker called the park ranger that I was in the middle of the road ...lol

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all well and fine, if you live around a city.
Get out in the country at night... Yikes. You want ever bit of light you can get!
That being said, I'm a huge fan of Air80 or other similar ceramic tint on the windshield. I had that on my personal truck and I deeply miss the heat rejection.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love the tint but here in NY you won’t pass inspection with it. So stupid.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does tinting a windshield not open you up to potential liability in a crash? I wonder the same about tinted tail lights/turn signals/headlights.

If you do anything to your truck that violates US DOT or state vehicle safety regulations and they find any of those violations contributed to the crash then you can absolutely be opening yourself up to major issues in a criminal or civil case.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm running 30% on the windshield. My 2012 was 27%. Want to go darker on the rest. They're factory in the rear and back, 18% on the front doors.

Rybo917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all well and fine, if you live around a city.
Get out in the country at night... Yikes. You want ever bit of light you can get!
That being said, I'm a huge fan of Air80 or other similar ceramic tint on the windshield. I had that on my personal truck and I deeply miss the heat rejection.
What is air 80 on the windshield? I was plannning on matching the factory tint level on the rears to the front. Then was planning on doing a ceramic tint over the factory rears and either 70% or 50% ceramic tint on the windshield. Cant decide.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What is air 80 on the windshield? I was plannning on matching the factory tint level on the rears to the front. Then was planning on doing a ceramic tint over the factory rears and either 70% or 50% ceramic tint on the windshield. Cant decide.
It's a ceramic tint and I think only comes in 78% which is why I didn't get that on my windshield ...