Windows Phone 8.1 & UConnect 8.4A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
Anyone else have a WP 8.1 phone? I just bought a '15 Ram 1500 with the 8.4A UConnect Radio and it doesn't recognize the phone when I plug it in to the USB port. Bluetooth seems to be working fine, however.

I came from a Chevy, with the MyLink system. It recognized my phone just fine until the 8.0 -> 8.1 upgrade about 6 months back, then it stopped working (although bluetooth worked well there, too).

Is there a way to check for the most up to date software/firmware version on the UConnect? If it's out of date, is there a way to update on my own or does it need to visit the dealer service department?

Thanks!

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else have a WP 8.1 phone? I just bought a '15 Ram 1500 with the 8.4A UConnect Radio and it doesn't recognize the phone when I plug it in to the USB port. Bluetooth seems to be working fine, however.

I came from a Chevy, with the MyLink system. It recognized my phone just fine until the 8.0 -> 8.1 upgrade about 6 months back, then it stopped working (although bluetooth worked well there, too).

Is there a way to check for the most up to date software/firmware version on the UConnect? If it's out of date, is there a way to update on my own or does it need to visit the dealer service department?

Thanks!

This is a little known issue with a ridiculous but easy solution.

UConnect does not recognize devices on the USB port as media devices unless it sees at least one song in the device's iTunes library.

Put something in iTunes and you should be good. If that doesn't work, make sure you have the latest UConnect software (14.25.05 I believe).

OP
OP
Upthewazzu

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
hmmmmmm, well that's easier said that done since Windows Phone doesn't have iTunes.