Windshield wiper arm/cowl removal How-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
This is a DIY on removal of both the windshield wiper arm assembly, and the plastic cowl covering the windshield wiper motor.

Ok, so this problem really pisssed me off, untill my girlfriend (yes I know) showed me how.... :kiss1: :flipthebird:
Theres clips at the base of the windshield wipers, you can see them sticking out.

You need to lift the wiper to the vertical position (windshield wipers must be fully out (accomplish this by turning the key to accesorys and turning them on, as soon as they get to the point where they almost start to go back down, turn the key back to off "lock" position)

Pull the clip toward the drivers side a far as it will go using pliers, or by tapping it from the other side with a SMALL hammer notice I say small. You do not want to bend that side, KRoil (best) or PB Blaster (next best) or...WD40 (sucks but better than nothing) may be nessicary to get the clips to move.

Grab the base of the wiper arm, and pull up. If it doesn't pop right off, rock it back and fourth and up and down while pulling up.

Once both wipers are off, use a hex *** at all the clips on the cowel and remove them.
Now that you have removed all of the hex caps, the cowl should slide right over the wiper base knobs.

Remember what potition thhe wipers where when you took them off though, so you can put them back on the way they came off.

DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER TO TRY TO PRY THE ARMS OFF AFTER YOU'VE REMOVED THE CLIPS. IT WILL DISTORT THE BASE, AND IT WILL NOT SEAT PROPERLY ON THE KNOBS, CAUSING IT TO POSSIBLY FLY OFF WHEN GOING DOWN THE ROAD OR THROUGH A CARWASH

pics should be up if I get time tomorrow

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
True enough I broke 1 of those clips after trying to figure it out for about an hour... Or so. The tabs are very small and reall don't have to move more than a 1/4 inch or so.

chastruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for the DIY. Have a leak on the pass. side when it sits in the rain, now I can pull that stuff and atack with RTV!

tonygraz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
On my dodge the leak came through a hole behind the electronics panel on the passenger side under the hood and cowl. I patched the hole and that was the end of the leak.