Windshield wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I haven't seen this up here so I figured I'd start a thread. I was driving through a really bad storm in NC yesterday and I couldn't see anything. This was the 3rd or 4th time since buying my Ram that I was driving in the rain and had a really REALLY hard time seeing the road.

My girl was with me the most recent time and agreed that it seems like the stock windshield wipers do a bad job of clearing the water.

Here are my 2 questions... Has anyone had an issue with their stock wipers? And the more frustrating one...has anyone else noticed that the wiper settings don't go very fast? My last vehicle had a setting that made the wipers go almost twice as fast. I've found that its really, really hard to drive in hard rain in the truck.

Any suggestions on how to fix my issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered new windshield wipers for my truck the rain-x latitude wipers, mine stock ones are miserable. I also bought the rain-x windshield application which is supposed to make the water bead instead of streaking which helped as well. I haven't noticed the speed setting though I will have to see.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
The factory wiper blades are junk. I did exactly what argray90 did, upgrade those wipers and use rain-x.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I use Trico brand wipers, get em from Canadian Tire. They do a damn nice job, and stay somewhat clear during the winter(as good as can be expected, really). Best part is they are the kind that uses the wind at hwy speed to keep planted tight to the window

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with bailey that the factory ones are junk. I will definitely be replacing mine in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone

20ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try Adam's glass cleaner/sealent. That is what I use and the water just blows right off without wipers on. I also agree though the factory wipers are junk, changing the wipers was the first thing I did after buying my truck when it was raining. I went with michelin wipers and they work well.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Awesome! Thanks for all the info guys. I actually bought those Rain-X latitude wipers yesterday before I posted this thread. Haven't put them on yet because I wanted to get some more info first. I'll take all your guys' info into consideration.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed the problem!!

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I have run them alot in the past. They are real good wipers. They do not hold up to the abuse of the oilfield though. I switched to Bosch wipers that are just like the rain x ones. They hold up better in my line of work.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good to know, I really only use my Ram as a daily driver. Nothing near as stressful as working in an oil field, so hopefully the Rain-X wipers will be good enough. I had also put them on my old vehicle and was pretty pleased. I'm sure they'll be better than these stock wipers. I almost have wrecked several times driving through bad rainstorms because I couldn't see anything. I also put Rain-X on the windshield and that has helped a ton too.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Chuck, my stock wipers are sitting on a shelf in my garage. I won't drive vehicle without the new blade style wipers.

That being said, when it's raining in my car, I seldom use the wipers at speeds above 45mph. I clay my windows and apply Adams Glass Sealant to them. I've used Rain-X in the past and had issues with it making my wipers skip, and I get NONE of that with the Adams sealant. Plus it makes the windows shine like a mother!

Chris

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ooooh. That sounds awesome. I might have to use that on my truck. Thanks for the info. I had thought the problem was in my head until I was driving back from vacation and almost put the truck into a ditch in North Carolina, and the girlfriend agreed that she couldn't see anything out of the windshield either. I'll try the Adam's stuff and hopefully that with the new wipers will work!

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of the Rain-X washer fluid additive, you may want to look into Rain-X washer fluid.
The additive is nearly impossible to get off the window. The fluid keeps water beading on the windshield which during driving, makes the water just fly off.
Rain-x or Michelin wipers FTW, but I can't stand blade style wipers.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I buy only Trico wipers. They're OEM on many makes so they just fit right.

It's funny... I look far and wide for wiper fluid that isn't Rain-X but has a nice low temp rating. It makes my wipers skip like MAAAAAAD. :)

I seldom use wiper fluid though. The alcohol in it is bad for everything it contacts, but the glass.

The Adams glass sealant is like Rain-X on steroids.

Make sure you watch the video how to correctly clean the windows and apply the product. A little goes a LONG way. Remember to use your forum code of 10% off.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Excellent. Good advice guys. I had used the Rain-X wiper fluid in my previous vehicle but haven't been able to find it in a while. Everywhere around here just carries the generic brand. Once I get to my computer Im gonna look into buying that Adams stuff.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of us with long winters, winter fluid is a necessity. I run winter fluid (Rain-X yellow) all year so I don't have to worry about freezing in the fall. And miraculously it also gets rid of bugs in the summer LOL

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Haha wow that's impressive. Sounds like good stuff. I think the Rain-X stuff I was able to find a while back was the orange fluid. It was the bug stuff if I remember correctly.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I buy only Trico wipers. They're OEM on many makes so they just fit right.

It's funny... I look far and wide for wiper fluid that isn't Rain-X but has a nice low temp rating. It makes my wipers skip like MAAAAAAD. :)

I seldom use wiper fluid though. The alcohol in it is bad for everything it contacts, but the glass.

The Adams glass sealant is like Rain-X on steroids.

Make sure you watch the video how to correctly clean the windows and apply the product. A little goes a LONG way. Remember to use your forum code of 10% off.

Trico Neoform are hands down the best blade ive ever used. beats the rain x and the bosch, and its cheaper.

OP
OP
chuck

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh wow, it's cheaper? I'll have too look into getting those on Amazon or something then. Because I paid like $40/$45 for the Rain-X wipers. And that's a little much IMO