Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nevar24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Calling all Wiring guru's on this site.

I am adding some led light bars to the old truck this coming weekend, and need a little help in wiring the lights up. I know how I am going to do the switches, I just don't know how to get power to everything. Is there a spare fuse slot or power supply that I can draw from? Or do I just hook up to the battery and call it good? I would like the lights to be on a keyed switch.

Thanks for the help!!!

Tom.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would use a relay and you could use the hot from the 12v ACC socket/cig lighter socket to turn on the relay. I would run a dedicated fused hot from the batt to the relay.
I not a guru sorry lol

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a total of 14 extra lights on my rig and I have a fuse holder. I have one power wire to the after market fuse box which from there I run all the positives off the fuse panel. I have been meaning to add relays but I've had this setup for about a year no problems. Make sure you use AT LEAST an inline fuse. having inline fuse and relay is preferred however.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're using a dedicated switch (something from auto parts store etc) then there should be three prongs on the back of said switch. One 12v prong, one ground prong and one Aux power (power going to your lights). Like some have said above - at minimum, definitely use an inline fuse. I would run your 12v from the battery to your switch. Place the inline fuse as close to your battery as possible. Then simply find a reliable ground (or make your own) and run the appropriate sized wire to your lights you've added. I'm running emergency lights and offroad lights in my truck using this wiring setup with no issues. If something were to happen, the inline fuse would blow and that would be the end of it. I don't mess with relays. Just an option, Im sure there are more wire gurus out there who will chime in.

OP
OP
N

Nevar24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another question, where did you guys run the wires from the engine compartment to the inside of the truck? Do i have to drill a hole in my fire wall? Thanks!

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another question, where did you guys run the wires from the engine compartment to the inside of the truck? Do i have to drill a hole in my fire wall? Thanks!

There is already a rubber grommet I just punctured a hole through and ran my wires there. So the rubber shrinks around the wires to be water proof. There is another plastic covering a hole already in the firewall

OP
OP
N

Nevar24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're using a dedicated switch (something from auto parts store etc) then there should be three prongs on the back of said switch. One 12v prong, one ground prong and one Aux power (power going to your lights). Like some have said above - at minimum, definitely use an inline fuse. I would run your 12v from the battery to your switch. Place the inline fuse as close to your battery as possible. Then simply find a reliable ground (or make your own) and run the appropriate sized wire to your lights you've added. I'm running emergency lights and offroad lights in my truck using this wiring setup with no issues. If something were to happen, the inline fuse would blow and that would be the end of it. I don't mess with relays. Just an option, Im sure there are more wire gurus out there who will chime in.

Alright. This is what I was wondering, if I could pull right off the battery. I was apprehensive with all the electronics in this rig. but, I will hook up my power right to the batter and go from there. Thanks guys.