Wobble after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I need some input on an issue that has come up after I did some work. I have a 2012 RAM 1500 quad cab 4x4 outdoorsman, stock. This weekend I installed a 3/2 leveling/lift kit, rotated the tires, and installed 2in wheel spacers. After the work was complete I took it on a road test, it had some wobble starting around 50 mph and pretty rough at 70 and higher. I had an alignment performed. They made adjustments to the toe and camber. After the alignment, the wobble was still there around 65mph and up. so when I got home I took off the wheel spacers. The wobble was better, but it is still there at 75mph and up.

It does not feel like it is in the steering, more like an unbalanced wheel or maybe something in the driveline or suspension.

Just trying to get some ideas on where to look for this issue. I didn't have any issues installing the lift and followed the directions from the manufacturer. I went with the MotoFab lift kit. and the spacers are Titan Wheel Accessories.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked you ball joints and tie rods ends? My old Sierra had some wobble and later found out my passenger side ball joint was blown

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
D_G_E

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The ball joints and tie rods looked good when I was doing the lift. The truck has about 63,000 miles on it.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try checking just in case. I had a hard time telling but maybe that's just me.
Get the wheel off the ground, with your hands at 12 and 6 give a good shake and see if you have any play.
Do the same process with hands at 3 and 9

Sent via telepathy

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Others will chime in soon with some other idea soon I'm sure as well

Sent via telepathy

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you do an alignment after the spacers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jljbtm

Reaction score
I would check your tires or wheels. You said it started after a rotation? The front is more sensitive to out of balance conditions that you may not notice on the rear.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D_G_E

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you do an alignment after the spacers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, the alignment was done after the spacers were installed.

OP
OP
D_G_E

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I guess another question I have is can the lift cause the vibration?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess another question I have is can the lift cause the vibration?

I had the RC spacer lift on my Sierra and aside from the ball joint issue I didn't like
How it rode. Not sure if it caused wobble but never really felt it was stable

Sent via telepathy

jljbtm

Reaction score
Vibrations at those speeds you stated are usually out of balance. Especially big tires. Try road force balancing i think most shops can do this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was the panhard bar adjusted?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was the panhard bar adjusted?

OP has a 1500, and only has track/panhard bar on the back. Even if the drop bracket wasn't used for the track bar, the only issue would be an off-center rear axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D_G_E

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for all the input. I talked to the techs that did the alignment, they also feel that it could be out of balance wheels. Tomorrow I will have the tires and wheels checked and post the results.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP has a 1500, and only has track/panhard bar on the back. Even if the drop bracket wasn't used for the track bar, the only issue would be an off-center rear axle.

Which could cause the wobble in the driveline that the OP is describing at 50 and 70mph

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which could cause the wobble in the driveline that the OP is describing at 50 and 70mph

I guess anything is possible, but I've never seen a slight offset of the rear axle cause a vibe like that.
Then again, I'm still getting up to speed on these "new" trucks. My last vehicle was a grand wagoneer, and some of those came from the factory with an offset rear pinion, and the drive shaft running at an angle.

OP
OP
D_G_E

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I took the truck in for balancing. The tires were slightly out of balance. They balanced them and I still have a vibration. It's not as bad but it is still there. So pissed.
I called MotoFab and talked the support guy. He said he has never heard of their product causing a vibration. He is going to ask some of the techs there and get back with me.
I also jacked up each tire and gave it a good shaking to check the ball joints and tie rods. Everything seems to be ok.
Not sure where to go from here. I guess I will take it to the shop and see if they can figure it out.

Or sell it.... Anyone interested in a 2012 ram lol.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the front 3" lift obtained by spacers above your front shocks ? If so and the front differential wasn't doped then your CV angles are likely extreme causing the wobble .
I'm not familiar with the 2012s , but this has been an issue with the 13 + Ram's .
They do make heavy duty high angle CV shafts for this issue but they are pricy . Most folks just lift 2.8" up front with the bilsteins 5100s so the CV angles arn't extreme .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the front 3" lift obtained by spacers above your front shocks ? If so and the front differential wasn't doped then your CV angles are likely extreme causing the wobble .
I'm not familiar with the 2012s , but this has been an issue with the 13 + Ram's .
They do make heavy duty high angle CV shafts for this issue but they are pricy . Most folks just lift 2.8" up front with the bilsteins 5100s so the CV angles arn't extreme .

Hope this helps !

That's a good call on what type of lift and cv angles.
I don't have spacers but know some fellas here (most) suggest ponying up more for the higher quality stuff since it can cause some unintended consequences. Not saying the spacers OP has are crap, but another avenue to look into to continue ruling stuff out

Sent via telepathy

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the OP , can you take some pictures of your CV angles and post them up here ?