Working up an order for a new 3500 SRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trying to put together an order for a 3500 CTD SRW. I've figured most of it out, but need help with a few questions.

-Is there a bigger fuel tank option for the 3500? I thought there was, but it does not come up on the build sheet. Dually only option?
-Is the Filigree leather just the extra stitched in design? Same leather otherwise?
-The Longhorn Limited prices out more than the Limited with the same options. Is the LL considered the premier truck in the Ram lineup? What does it have that the Limited does not? Or vice versa?
-Not a big fan of the purse flaps on the back of the seats on the LL and Limited. Can those be removed?
-If I don't get two tone paint, painted bumpers or the night package, the bumper is chrome on the LL and Limited, correct?

Thanks

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to put together an order for a 3500 CTD SRW. I've figured most of it out, but need help with a few questions.

-Is there a bigger fuel tank option for the 3500? I thought there was, but it does not come up on the build sheet. Dually only option?
-Is the Filigree leather just the extra stitched in design? Same leather otherwise?
-The Limited Laramie prices out more than the Limited with the same options. Is the LL considered the premier truck in the Ram lineup? What does it have that the Limited does not? Or vice versa?
-Not a big fan of the purse flaps on the back of the seats on the LL and Limited. Can those be removed?
-If I don't get two tone paint, painted bumpers or the night package, the bumper is chrome on the LL and Limited, correct?

Thanks

Only have a minute to answer one question but can answer more later or someone else may in the meantime.

I'll take gas tank to start though, the 50 gallon should be optional with the long bed (8') but otherwise I don't believe is available with the short bed setup.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The only question I can speak to is about the 50 gal fuel tank. It is only available with an 8' bed

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You guys are correct. When I configure a truck with the 8' bed, the 50 gallon tank option shows up.

Watching videos, it seems like the Limited does not have the purse flaps (dealer term, not mine). Looks like only the Longhorn Limited has those.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think I have answers to all my original questions, but have a couple more.

The headlights on the limited apparently rotate a bit side to side with the steering wheel. Sounds cool, but have seen folks complain that they get flashed a lot when that happens. That could get old. Anyone here have those and experience that? I live in the Ozark Mts, so twisty roads are the norm here.

I was all set on the 12" screen but I've read where folks that had that opted back to the 8.4" screen on subsequent trucks, preferring hard buttons for heated seats/wheel, etc. I can understand that, having to hit multiple touch screen buttons to do the same as one hard button push could get frustrating and maybe distracting. Do any of y'all that have the 12" screen sometimes wish you had more hard buttons for some things?

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The headlights on the limited apparently rotate a bit side to side with the steering wheel. Sounds cool, but have seen folks complain that they flashed a lot when that happens. That could get old. Anyone here have those and experience that? I live in the Ozark Mts, so twisty roads are the norm here.

I was all set on the 12" screen but I've read where folks that had that opted back to the 8.4" screen on subsequent trucks, preferring hard buttons for heated seats/wheel, etc. I can understand that, having to hit multiple touch screen buttons to do the same as one hard button push could get frustrating and maybe distracting. Do any of y'all that have the 12" screen sometimes wish you had more hard buttons for some things?
The adaptive headlamps on 2022's have changed. The headlight lens no longer rotates, instead, the fog lamp can side project to light the turn. The adaptive feature can be turned on/off through the radio screen.

I have the 12" screen in my new 2022, I don't have an issue with the heated seats or heated steering wheel controls. First off, the heated seats/steering wheel turn on when the temperature is 40 degrees or lower. If I do need to control them directly, I simply touch the upper left temperate display and a drop-down gives me the control options. It simply isn't a big deal, it is neither frustrating nor distracting. With the 12" screen, you still get buttons on both sides of the display to control common features.

As you can see in my signature, I prefer the Longhorn interior.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I have answers to all my original questions, but have a couple more.

The headlights on the limited apparently rotate a bit side to side with the steering wheel. Sounds cool, but have seen folks complain that they flashed a lot when that happens. That could get old. Anyone here have those and experience that? I live in the Ozark Mts, so twisty roads are the norm here.

As far as the 12" screen, I have it on my 2019. I have 22,000 miles on the truck. I have had no issues other than a few times it won't turn on or change channels. Usually it only lasts a few minutes...sometimes takes a restart. I had the same issues with the 8.4" screen too. Overall, I love the 12" screen. I would not go back to the smaller screen.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You guys are correct. When I configure a truck with the 8' bed, the 50 gallon tank option shows up.

Watching videos, it seems like the Limited does not have the purse flaps (dealer term, not mine). Looks like only the Longhorn Limited has those.
The 50 gallon tank was the best option I ordered and at less than 300 bucks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have an 8.4" screen on my 1500and the 12" on my 3500. The 12" is so superior, I would never get the 6.4 again.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The adaptive headlamps on 2022's have changed. The headlight lens no longer rotates, instead, the fog lamp can side project to light the turn. The adaptive feature can be turned on/off through the radio screen.
You sure about this?

I can't speak about the 3500s (though I'd assume they are the same) but on the 2500s, using my PW as an example, the 2021 75th AE headlamps rotate when turning, as do the Level 3 2022 PWs - as well as the turn-side fog light illuminating, if they are off.

Looking at photos of the 3500 Limited spec, the headlight assembly appears to be identical to what is on my truck, and the 2022 Level 3 Power Wagons.

AFAIK, if you have these headlights, they will swivel while you turn:
2019-ram-hd-laramie-longhorn-exterior.jpg

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure about this?

I can't speak about the 3500s (though I'd assume they are the same) but on the 2500s, using my PW as an example, the 2021 75th AE headlamps rotate when turning, as do the Level 3 2022 PWs - as well as the turn-side fog light illuminating, if they are off.

Looking at photos of the 3500 Limited spec, the headlight assembly appears to be identical to what is on my truck, and the 2022 Level 3 Power Wagons.

Agreed, it would be news to me too that feature was taken away for 2022. One easy way to tell for anyone with a 22 is upon startup they move side to side before centering, should be obvious enough in dark settings or especially so if you park against a wall or window.

To the OP question about getting hi beamed, hasn't been an issue for me at all in my 21 that I've had since June. I don't think I've been flashed once with the low beams on. Added bonus, if you are power sliding sideways up a hill in the snow and counter steering, the headlights stay shining on the road instead of the ditch!

Also haven't found myself missing the 8.4" screen with more buttons, had 2 of those prior to this truck in 4th gens and haven't missed it. Also haven't had a single issue with the screen, never needed to reset.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

What are purse flaps? Is that like a murse?

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are purse flaps? Is that like a murse?
They are on the map pocket on the back of the front seats. I saw a new 2022 Longhorn today, and they are not as bad as they used to be. They are just decoration now. IIRC, in the older trucks, you used to have to open them to access the map pocket contents. Still not a fan, but at least they're not obtrusive anymore.

Go to the 9 minute mark in this video to see them:

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
https://titanfueltanks.com/products/xxl-replacement-tanks/dodge-crew-cab-short-bed-7030113

you can get aftermarket 50 gal tanks for the shortbed trucks, not as cheap or convenient as it is from factory but its out there!
I wish they made them for the 1500s as well
Thanks. I'd looked at that a little for my 18. But between the expense of the tank and the hassle of no longer having an accurate fuel gauge, it's not worth it to me. But is kind of frustrating that the aftermarket can make a bigger tank for the SB's, but Ram won't.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You sure about this?

I'm very sure, I have a 2022 Longhorn sitting in my driveway, the little signature on the headlight lens is not there as it was in previous years. There is no mention of adaptive headlamps in the QuickStart or the owners' manual, I only saw a setting for the feature on the radio screen.

I called my dealer and asked him what adaptive lighting was, he didn't know and had to call me back. That is when I learned of the fog lamp projecting light for the turn. So one night, I went out, and sure enough, that is how it works.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are on the map pocket on the back of the front seats. I saw a new 2022 Longhorn today, and they are not as bad as they used to be. They are just decoration now. IIRC, in the older trucks, you used to have to open them to access the map pocket contents. Still not a fan, but at least they're not obtrusive anymore.

Go to the 9 minute mark in this video to see them:

Yeah but in the older trucks you could tuck the buckle into the seat pocket and not have to see it, like this:
IMG_3696.jpg

Which you can't do anymore due to the redesign they did:
IMG_5511.jpg

I certainly don't care for a lot of the "cowboy" themed stuff in the longhorn, however, I love the interior color choices (very bored of black interiors for a long time) offered in the longhorn. I would consider maybe the blue/white of the limited but would be a little nervous about that with a dog and full time softball player, but I won't consider the limited due to the air suspension. So longhorn it is for us.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I certainly don't care for a lot of the "cowboy" themed stuff in the longhorn, however, I love the interior color choices (very bored of black interiors for a long time) offered in the longhorn.
I chose the Longhorn for the same reasons, I love the interior color and wood. I'm just not into the carbon fiber look. The cowboy theme is really turned down. The seatback flaps have a different buckle than the one in the picture. Maybe new for 22.