Yet Another BU Camera Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have just installed the OEM backup camera kit. All went smooth. Just need to have the sales code activated. But I do have a couple questions that are really bugging me.

In step 40 of the instructions it says to install the 6 wires into the supplied connector. Done. This is where I question a few things. The harness that runs from this connector to the radio only has 3 wires in it. What about the other 3 that are terminated at the connector in step 40. Do they do anything? Second question is there is a rather large gauge blue wire in the harness that the instructions make no reference to whatsoever....whats the deal here. Am I missing something?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have just installed the OEM backup camera kit. All went smooth. Just need to have the sales code activated. But I do have a couple questions that are really bugging me.

In step 40 of the instructions it says to install the 6 wires into the supplied connector. Done. This is where I question a few things. The harness that runs from this connector to the radio only has 3 wires in it. What about the other 3 that are terminated at the connector in step 40. Do they do anything? Second question is there is a rather large gauge blue wire in the harness that the instructions make no reference to whatsoever....whats the deal here. Am I missing something?
The unused wires in that connector are for the video in the mirror . Like the yellow wire you taped back . You used the purple wire to the BCM C-5 Connector.
The main body harness is the same for the radio display kit you ordered and the mirror display kit for cost and manufacturing purposes .

Just make sure the three wires going towards the radio are in line and connected to each other in the connector you populated, the other wires in that connector could be cut off and everything would work fine , it's just easier to terminate them there .

Hope this helps !

OP
OP
L

loki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. That helps alot. The only other question is a rather large blue wire (12 gauge ?)...at the tailgate end this wire is looped back into the harness. On the front under the dash it is just hanging out. Almost looks like it was installed in the harness to " pull the wiring through the boot into the cabin"....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine didn't have the blue wire ? That I remember , it's been like 7mo.s though ...?

Do you have a picture of it at both ends ?

OP
OP
L

loki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill get some and upload them tomorrow. Thanks for the help as usual...

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which kit did you buy? I want to add a backup camera. I saw OEM Mopar kits on eBay for $250. I also saw on OEM parts company's website about some type of adapter you need to add, in order to allow a backup camera to plug in. Do I need anything else besides the Mopar kit?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P/N 82214240 OEM Backup Camera kit for Radio Display RA2 5.0" & RA3&4 8.4" 2013 -2016 Ram Trucks .

This is a complete kit nothing else is needed .
This is a very nice and easy to install kit that works seemingly with your trucks factory wiring.
Imo this kit is a( 3 out of 10 ) dificulty level for most DIYers.
There are two wires to solder , a couple connectors to depopulate and repopulate and the rest is plug n play.

This kit requires a sales code XAC to be flashed by the dealer , with that said I recommend purchasing the OEM Kit from your dealer and at that time work in the deal with the SVC mgr to get the code flashed (for free as part of the kit purchase .)
I was able to do this myself .
You can get the XAC code flashed in before or after the kit install . If you have it prior to the install , when you shift to reverse your radio (RA2 ,3 or 4 ) will go to a blue screen and display " CHECK ENTIRE SURROUNDINGS "

If anyone has any difficulties during the install post up your Qs here .

Hope this helps

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would you mind posting some pics of your final product, especially how it looks on the screen when in reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you mind posting some pics of your final product, especially how it looks on the screen when in reverse?

These pictures arn't great because I'm parked in my garage but here ya go . These are on the RA2 5.0 Radio display .

652cb967e5c791767221c7a3ea02e1df.jpg
cecc3970e89f8421141db415d9791e40.jpg
b2839133b33b095796a6fc1ab0e8ca42.jpg
c7bc9c2b1e471a572b65258310c96cfb.jpg

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks a bunch, I watched a youtube video on one of the camera for the Ram and the green lines in the picture were pointed straight up. Those look like they should. This has definitely bumped its way up to next on the list!

Edit: I found this on amazon for $240... Is that about what you paid purchasing through the dealer?

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The active Gridlines with the factory kit are absolutely accurate to the inch of your tire projected trajectory!
This kit works perfectly with the clockspring mounted within the steering wheel and wires up perfectly with your 2013 - 2016 Ram Trucks Canbus type wiring system ... it's the same OEM Kit by P/N that the dealer would install if you requested .

(my dealer quoted $700.00 for the install ! I paid $269.00 and installed it myself in about 8hrs the 1rst time , I can do it in 3 or less now )

I've installed 3 of these kits it's a good DIY kit to install , pretty easy overall 3 out of 10 imo . This kit does require a dealer flashed sales code XAC, that any dealer can install for you . Some charge some don't , I worked the flashed sales code in for free when I purchased my kit from my local dealer ... it took the tech 7 minutes to complete the sales code Flash!

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure what RAM FORUM MEMBER CuylerTech with the Harness connection @ www.harness-connection.us and one of our preferred vendors here
Offers on the back up cam system but he was talking a few months back about manufacturing a back up cam harness , might be worthing checking out ...

I do recommend the OEM Kit as a nice DIY though .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI,
See
Cptwing's Installing oem Backup Camera thread post 10 and his OP.

My Post 10 (in addition to the op) details the useful links, and install directions as well as a schematic i made to use with the kits directions. This will help you out a lot.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The post # 10 referenced above by Mpgrimm2 is extensive and "intense" but VERY INFORMATIVE!
Probably the best collection of real troubleshooting information and just information in general I've come across on any thread on any topic .

If Mpgrimm2 's post # 10 mentioned above is second to any other informative post if seen , then it would be one of Mpgrimm2 's other informative post on RA2 TO RA4 Radio upgrade post .... just sayin ...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you are gonna give me a reach around we are going to have to get a room. Lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all true buddy ! LOL !
As you are my friend I'm happily married!

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a complete kit nothing else is needed .
This is a very nice and easy to install kit that works seemingly with your trucks factory wiring.
Imo this kit is a( 4 out of 10 ) dificulty level for most DIYers.
There are two wires to solder , a couple connectors to depopulate and repopulate and the rest is plug n play.

I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning before they opened for my appointment to have them install the OEM backup camera. They started at 10:30am and still aren't done with it. 3 mechanics were huddled around my truck scratching their heads.

I'm not sure of your background but I find it funny/frustrating that 3 dodge mechanics can't figure out how to install a Mopar backup camera.

To the best of your knowledge, are the instructions that come with the OEM camera accurate?

They claim my radio isn't working at all now - I don't have any other details.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Very accurate, but easily misunderstood if they rush it.

They likely installed/moved the pins incorrectly at the back of the radio.

Refer them to this post or have a look yourself.
Installing oem Backup Camera thread post 10
(Specifically the links to post 26 & 280)

Remember, they broke it, they fix it. You can't be held responsible for them screwing up an official RAM kit.

Make sure when complete you have guide lines and that they turn with the wheel.
Just to be clear, this kit is officially fully compatible with Ra2, RA3, and RA4 radios.

Last edited: