Yet Another BU Camera Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deleted

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning before they opened for my appointment to have them install the OEM backup camera. They started at 10:30am and still aren't done with it. 3 mechanics were huddled around my truck scratching their heads.

I'm not sure of your background but I find it funny/frustrating that 3 dodge mechanics can't figure out how to install a Mopar backup camera.

To the best of your knowledge, are the instructions that come with the OEM camera accurate?

They claim my radio isn't working at all now - I don't have any other details.
My background .... LOL ! I'm a deer hunting , Bass fishing , beer drinkin , Crawlfish boiling , extreme college football fan , absolute Redneck with all my teeth from the Great state of Arkansas ( GO HOGS! ! ) AND I've never stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express!

Honestly I'm just a mechanic , I enjoy moding my vehicles both mechanically & electrically .

Unfortunately most dealerships are lacking technicians that share my interest .

Imo , installing an OEM , FACTORY KIT .... a dealership tech should be a shoe in for doing it flawlessly .

I've seen many post where dealership techs have struggled with this simple to install kit .

I've met several dealer techs that could do this kit in their sleep .
Unfortunately lots of dealer techs are not savy in this trait .

I've only installed 3 of these kits ( by myself) on Ram 1500s , the last one took me 2 hrs & 40 mins .

I'm not an automotive mechanic by trade , I just enjoy working on vehicles .

What radio do you have Sir ?

Last edited:

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input guys! I have the 5" touch screen. I believe that's the RA2?

Absolutely, they broke it they fix it. That's why I left it there. And they are basically working on it for free at this point. I made it clear yesterday that I was already quoted a price, it's not my fault they don't know what they are doing. It's not like I brought an aftermarket camera to them, I bought the OEM camera from them!

I will check that link and posts out now. Thanks for that.

So basically when all said and done this OEM kit will be able to 1. be displayed in my 5" radio screen
2. Have the guidelines that actually turn when backing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your Q s #1 & #2 , you are correct Sir .
Like Mpgrimm2 said above , if the radio isn't working they most likely either installed the 3ea wires improperly @ the back of the radios C-1 connector.
eb3be8f0a176d4ac71b49b3357a4e857.jpg

OR they populated the long body harness to the radio harness incorrectly.

9cf9b40be8989967c0c221317ab0d92d.jpg
The above connector is is located above the drivers feet , it's important to verify the three wires going to the radio are inline with the same 3 wires (by color) from the long body harness . All the other wires in that connector are Not used for the radio display , they are for the mirror display that you do not have .

Hope this helps and good luck !

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good news! The dealer just called and said they figured it out. Something with the wiring. The woman I talked to claims they had the wiring wrong at one of the plugs. I'm picking it up later today and will check it out before handing over my money. Atleast they are only charging me for the 2 hours we agreed on when I scheduled the install instead of the 9 hours it actually took them!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Good news! The dealer just called and said they figured it out. Something with the wiring. The woman I talked to claims they had the wiring wrong at one of the plugs. I'm picking it up later today and will check it out before handing over my money. Atleast they are only charging me for the 2 hours we agreed on when I scheduled the install instead of the 9 hours it actually took them!
Ask em if they got it wrong at the back of the Radio or the the new harness connector at the footwell.

Make sure you have those gridlines too, if not they need to check the Lin Bus CBC 3 wire at the BCM connector.

** NO GRID LINES:

- If you don't have the Grid Lines but still have video, recheck your BCM C5/E-45 connection. A bad connection to this or the wrong wire is the most common cause.

- If you are 100% sure about your wiring, then consider a SW update via the Uconnect website.
For the RA2:
_____ SW version 2.3.20 may not display the lines.
_____ SW version 5.2.20.1 has been confirmed to do so (and has option to turn them on/off)

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely make sure of the active gridlines , one guy here had a dealer install his kit and they did not even hook the purple wire up to the BCM , so no grid lines ...
Also check your radios Parkview settings , you should have the option to 1) turn the backup cam ON/OFF
2) turn the active gridlines ON / OFF .

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tailgate doesn't lock. Any suggestions?

Edit: it worked before I came in. I'm guessing it's right around the tailgate where the long harness and tailgate harness meet. They took it back in the garage to look quick. Beyond frustrated with this place.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This right here is plug and play, correct?

Just buy the kit, install, and get the dealer to flash codes?

It's been a while since I've read through this so I just want to double check..

a21688d206e012ce9cf0a91cdae2748e.jpg

IMO

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok everything works as it should on mine now. It only took them ten minutes to fix the tailgate lock issue. Thanks for everyone's help!401d07c24b676d13df5948b153910698.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This right here is plug and play, correct?

Just buy the kit, install, and get the dealer to flash codes?

It's been a while since I've read through this so I just want to double check..

a21688d206e012ce9cf0a91cdae2748e.jpg

IMO
One to two wires to solder splice depending on what wires are populated at your trucks BCM . Two wires to remove from one connector & install into another for the tailgate lock . Other than that yes plug n play + XAC sales code Flash by the dealer .
Simple kit to install , the kit is complete , and the install instructions are pretty good . If you have questions just post them here ,

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=53505&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Installing OEM backup cam

couple of guys monitoring this thread to help others out .

I've seen work you've done to your truck already , this kit is well within your skill set !

AustinB it's time to install the backup cam

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've seen work you've done to your truck already , this kit is well within your skill set !

AustinB it's time to install the backup cam

Thanks!

Well see how this air compressor install goes tomorrow lol.. May not have much of a truck left afterwards.

If I don't end up throwing a tool through a body panel, I'll order this kit... Im sure questions will not be minimal :)

IMO

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem , just make sure you post Qs in the thread I posted above , myself and others that have installed the kit are actively monitoring that thread to help guys with any Qs .

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
FYI,
See
Cptwing's Installing oem Backup Camera thread post 10 and his OP.

My Post 10 (in addition to the op) details the useful links, and install directions as well as a schematic i made to use with the kits directions. This will help you out a lot.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

I read through this and the problem I'm having, no radio or camera, should be fixed by a reflash correct? That's if everything is hooked up correctly. But my question is I already had the camera flash done in anticipation of this install. The screen would go to the blue screen when I put the truck in reverse after the flash. Then after I hooked everything up and turn the truck on I had nothing. It is possible that the flash was "lost/deleted" during the install and it needs to be done again? It's at the dealer now so I hope that's the case. Time will tell.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I read through this and the problem I'm having, no radio or camera, should be fixed by a reflash correct? That's if everything is hooked up correctly. But my question is I already had the camera flash done in anticipation of this install. The screen would go to the blue screen when I put the truck in reverse after the flash. Then after I hooked everything up and turn the truck on I had nothing. It is possible that the flash was "lost/deleted" during the install and it needs to be done again? It's at the dealer now so I hope that's the case. Time will tell.
If you had the blue screen then the xac code flash worked.

If after the install you have absolutely no radio display, then likely ...

1) Removed and/or installed the 3 wires (31,32,33) in the wrong location at the back of the radio (ie at pins 1,2,3)

2) Popped the radio or backup camera fuse (there is also an inline fuse right before the radio power wire goes through the firewall).

3) Got the wires mixed up at the new harness connector under the steering wheel.

4) The radio died.

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
If you had the blue screen then the xac code flash worked.

If after the install you have absolutely no radio display, then likely ...

1) Removed and/or installed the 3 wires (31,32,33) in the wrong location at the back of the radio (ie at pins 1,2,3)

2) Popped the radio or backup camera fuse (there is also an inline fuse right before the radio power wire goes through the firewall).

3) Got the wires mixed up at the new harness connector under the steering wheel.

4) The radio died.

1) I'm mostly certain that isn't the case.

2) I checked the fuses under the hood, didn't know about the inline one.

3) Mostly certain that isn't it either.

4) That would suck, but would be my luck.

So is it not possible that a reflash would "wake it up"?

One thing that made me scratch my head about the install was after pulling the wires through the firewall and inserting them into the supplied connector the blue wire (power?) stops at the connector. The supplied radio harness doesn't have a corresponding wire. Four go into the connector and only three come out, with nothing on the opposite side of the blue wire.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
One thing that made me scratch my head about the install was after pulling the wires through the firewall and inserting them into the supplied connector the blue wire (power?) stops at the connector. The supplied radio harness doesn't have a corresponding wire. Four go into the connector and only three come out, with nothing on the opposite side of the blue wire.

See the schematic in the post 10 link. It will clear that up.
(Power wire splits of before that connector and changes color)

Last edited:

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I dropped my truck at the dealer last week to do the camera install my radio worked fine. During the install my radio quit working as well. They had to keep it over night and fix it the next morning. They claimed the instructions that came with the camera were wrong. I never saw the instructions so I can't confirm/deny that. But they moved a couple wires around to the correct spots and the radio and camera magically started working. One of the service managers thought it was at the radio harness but wasn't positive.

Major Shart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
See the schematic in the post 10 link. It will clear that up.
(Power wire splits of before that connector and changes color)

Looking through that, thanks.
When I dropped my truck at the dealer last week to do the camera install my radio worked fine. During the install my radio quit working as well. They had to keep it over night and fix it the next morning. They claimed the instructions that came with the camera were wrong. I never saw the instructions so I can't confirm/deny that. But they moved a couple wires around to the correct spots and the radio and camera magically started working. One of the service managers thought it was at the radio harness but wasn't positive.

This is not the first time I have read about that type of thing. We'll see what happens as the truck is at the dealership right now. I'd rather do it myself as a sense of accomplishment as well as saving some money. They are charging $150 just to troubleshoot it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My. .02 recheck back of radio , recheck the connector hooked to the radio harness .
Recheck fuses

Hope you get this worked out w/o the dealers involved