YOUR thoughts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Classic.

Anyways... yea don't get flares. I hate them, so I'm biased, If you do get flares, don't be that truck noob/hipster who buys 12-14 wide wheels only to cover them with flares and totally negate the whole purpose of that offset. Now you are just killing your hubs for no reason, but hey, everyone will know you spent 1k dollars on disgusting pocket flares.

It sounds like you don't really know what you want, I don't mean any offense by that. I would say look through the lifted thread, find a few trucks you like, and "copy" them. Couple Major bullets to hit on:

1) Overall height (prob a given)

2) A/T vs M/T tire. Can change the look a lot. Typically an all terrain doesn't look as good on bigger trucks (more than a 4" lift). Typically, I said.

3) Wheels. Size, width, offset. Huge game changer. Also depicts what size tire you can run. But do you like 17x9, 20x9, 20x10, 22x10, 22x14, etc.

4) Rake. Can drastically make or break a truck. Smaller trucks that sit higher in the front look stupid. You aren't bull dog, or cali lean, or whatever bs its called when you have 4 inches on 33s or 35s. You just look like a douche. Save that for the big trucks. Same for the forward rake, if the rear sits too high, you look like an old man truck. Maybe you want that.

Just my two cents... you don't have to agree with these things. But for the most part, I'm right lol

Thanks for your help. Well, what I've been looking into the most are 35" Toyo RT's/MT's, either D537 Fuel Mavericks black and machined or XD778 Monsters matte black probably 20x10, 4" with level.
What about muffler then - I think the Flowmaster Outlaw is too loud but don't know if the Thunder is loud enough. Have also really been thinking about a Borla XR-1.
And it sounds like most of you guys are running Bixstein's so I guess that's something I will really look into.

What I worry about is I do want the truck to sit wide. If I don't get fender flares, will gravel and **** fly out on the sides and damage the paint because the tires are too wide?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

What I worry about is I do want the truck to sit wide. If I don't get fender flares, will gravel and **** fly out on the sides and damage the paint because the tires are too wide?

Yes... But, what gravel? As long as you're not doing dumb **** like donuts or going 30mph+ on a dirt road, youll be fine.

IMO

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your help. Well, what I've been looking into the most are 35" Toyo RT's/MT's, either D537 Fuel Mavericks black and machined or XD778 Monsters matte black probably 20x10, 4" with level.

What about muffler then - I think the Flowmaster Outlaw is too loud but don't know if the Thunder is loud enough. Have also really been thinking about a Borla XR-1.

And it sounds like most of you guys are running Bixstein's so I guess that's something I will really look into.

I have the thunder. it's louder then stock I don't think it sounds to bad, but if I could redo it id probably go with a completely open muffler like a spin tech( eventually will) . When it comes to fender flares.. Well my simple thought is with or without them if your actually going to do any off-roading with them your going to get scratches one way or another, I'd be more looking at the point of curtesy to other drivers while on the road. It's a law in some states correct?

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a magnaflow 14 and love it. Wouldn't have anything else.

as for the gravel, yes in theory. But I used to live and work down gravel roads. And daily hear rocks hit my trucks all the time. I never had enough paint damage to worry about it. They were there, but from 5ft away you couldn't see them. But I never had a black one, not sure how much that will add to the damage lol.

This is just a personal opinion, but flares don't really work. I mean if you only drive down the street maybe it will stop the debris from hitting the truck. But every truck ive ever seen with flares still ends up covered in mud and crap when offroad. and then all that junk gets caught in the gaps between the fender flare and the fender. And basically destroys the paint there. I'm just not a fan.

The other thing is, if you want the truck to look wide, the flares are going to take away from that immensely. I just don't understand them. if you run them with a +00 wheel, I guess ?? but running them with negative offsets? Why don't you just buy a wheel that's flush or sits in? Why do you want a wide wheel outside the truck to cover it up? it doesn't make any sense to me. the further it sticks out, the worse it is for the truck. Just get a wheel that sits flush from the beginning.

I guess some people also like the look, I think they are disgusting. Some states require them (and/or mudflaps I guess) but like I stated above, just get the right wheel. Very few flares look good to me, certainly not the bushwacker riveted pocket flares that the social media truck guys love. GOT MY LIGHT BARS AND FLARES WOOOOO!!!!!

/end rant